GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Oct 2019, 16:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Line L and Line M are in xy-plane such that neither of these is parall

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: HBS '21
Line L and Line M are in xy-plane such that neither of these is parall  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Feb 2019, 01:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (01:41) correct 55% (01:32) wrong based on 60 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Line L and Line M are in xy-plane such that neither of these is parallel to either x-axis or y-axis.Is the x-intercept of the line L greater than that of the line M?

(1) The y-intercept of the line L is greater than the y-intercept of the line M
(2) The lines L and M are parallel to each other.

Originally posted by prasanna ganeshu on 02 Feb 2019, 08:02.
Last edited by Bunuel on 03 Feb 2019, 01:47, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
V
Re: Line L and Line M are in xy-plane such that neither of these is parall  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2019, 07:10
Line L and Line M are in xy-plane such that neither of these is parallel to either x-axis or y-axis.Is the x-intercept of the line L greater than that of the line M?

We do not know the slope of the two
Insufficient

We do not k ow which is where
Insufficient

Combined
Look at the sketch..
If the x-intercepts are positive and slope is negative, x-intercept of line l is greater.
If the x-intercepts are negative and slope positive, x-intercept of line l is smaller

Insufficient

E
Attachments

PicsArt_02-09-07.35.56.jpg
PicsArt_02-09-07.35.56.jpg [ 82.75 KiB | Viewed 1038 times ]

G
Re: Line L and Line M are in xy-plane such that neither of these is parall  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2019, 12:11
prasanna ganeshu wrote:
(1)The y-intercept of the line L is greater than the y-intercept of the line M
(2)The lines L and M are parallel to each other.

Requesting ur help..

Posted from my mobile device

So basically what this question asks is that Is the x-intercept of the line L greater than that of the line M

(1)The y-intercept of the line L is greater than the y-intercept of the line M
As per the question the lines will be intersecting each other, and if you visualize you can see that if you slant the line M(at a greater angle) you can get a x intercept greater than L, and when you dont slant the line M, you can get the x intercept smaller than L.

(2)The lines L and M are parallel to each other.
This doesn't tell us anything about the orientation of the intercepts

Combination of both, will give u two regions, if you take slope as +ive and draw both lines in the 1st region, x intercept of line l(x=4, y = 6) will be greater than x intercept of line m(x=3 and y=5) just join these points.

But when you draw the same lines in 2nd region, x intercept of line l (y=6, x =-4) will be less than x intercept of m(y=5, x =-3)

Making both the statements insufficient to answer.

E

Quote which i can relate to.
Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: MIT SDM "20 (D)

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2019, 13:55
Not quite clear, I would think if they are parallel in B), it should mean that if a line has bigger "y" intercept, it would have more "x" intercept as well.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2019, 20:37
abc11 wrote:
Not quite clear, I would think if they are parallel in B), it should mean that if a line has bigger "y" intercept, it would have more "x" intercept as well.

Hi abc11

Your reasoning is correct, but which line is which, how do we know that ??

By which line is which, i meant, line l can have x intercept = 3 and y intercept = 4 whereas line m can have x intercept = 2 and y intercept =3

And now you can even interchange the coordinates, in that case

line m can have x intercept = 3 and y intercept 4 whereas line l can have x intercept as = 2 and y intercept as 3

In one case x intercept of l > x intercept of m and in other x intercept of l < x intercept of m.

Quote which i can relate to.
Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2019, 05:42
Let L: a1x + b1y + c1 = 0
Let M: a2x + b2y + c2 = 0

The question asks is whether -(c1 / a1) > -(c2 / a2) ?? --> c1/a1 < c2/a2 ??

(1) From this we can infer that

-(c1/b1) > -(c2/b2) --> c1/b1 < c2/b2

But, this doesn't give any concrete relationship between c1, c2, a1, a2.

Not Sufficient.

(2) Lines are parallel --> a1 = a2 = a; b1 = b2 = b.

So, from the question, we can re-write c1/a< c2/a.

We cannot multiply the inequality by 'a' since we dont know if a is negative or positive.

Insufficient.

(1) + (2): c1/b < c2/b. But, B can be both positive or negative. Hence c1 may or maynot be greater than c2. Hence, c1/a1 may or maynot be greater than c2/a2.

Hence Ans: E
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Kellogg '21, Ross '21
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 4
Line L and Line M are in xy-plane such that neither of these is parall  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2019, 06:23
I have read this question in the red book ie GMAT 1 Jamboree book

The answer is E
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2019, 22:20
chetan2u wrote:

Insufficient

Insufficient

Combined
Look at the sketch..
If the x-intercepts are positive and slope is negative, x-intercept of line l is greater.
If the x-intercepts are negative and slope positive, x-intercept of line l is smaller

Insufficient

E

dont we have to consider only the absolute value of the x and y. is there any specific reason??
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2019, 22:32
Mohammad Ali Khan wrote:
chetan2u wrote:

Insufficient

Insufficient

Combined
Look at the sketch..

Insufficient

E

dont we have to consider only the absolute value of the x and y. is there any specific reason??

No, x-intercept means the point where the line cuts x-axis, that is when y is 0. And, the intercept will be the exact point / coordinates of that point.
If it is on the LEFT side of origin (0,0), it will be negative and if on the right side, it will be positive.
Absolute value does not come into play here..

If y=x^2, here y will always be positive and absolute will come into play because of square..
so y will be 4, both when x is 2 and when x is -2.
Re: Line L and Line M are in xy-plane such that neither of these is parall   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2019, 22:32

Line L and Line M are in xy-plane such that neither of these is parall

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics