It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 01:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Low GMAT score=dealbreaker for applying for consulting concentration?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 21

GPA: 3.73
Low GMAT score=dealbreaker for applying for consulting concentration? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 20:44
This is a question that deals with GMAT score in combination with the application essays that ask for immediate post-MBA plans.

I'd like to work for a consulting company after completing an MBA Program. To get into a good consulting company (or maybe any that would be willing to support the employee for an H1B visa?), I've heard that a stellar GMAT score is required.

I've taken the GMAT twice but got a poor score on both tests. I'll be taking the test again (or maybe two more times if my next score is not great..) to try and raise my score to the high 600's-700's.

My big question is: will the B-school adcoms be less likely to accept a candidate who has a lower than average GMAT score and wants to pursue a career in the consulting industry?

I've heard that some students decide to change their career goals (ie: industry) after they start their MBA program, so there is a chance that I may change my plans to go into consulting post-MBA... but simply from an adcom's perspective, how does an applicant with a low GMAT score with a plan to go into consulting look? Will they be hesitant to accept such a student? In other words, if they have Applicant A who wants to go into consulting and Applicant B who wants to go into non-profit/entrepreneurship/marketing/etc and they both have a below average GMAT score with the same kind of educational/work background, which applicant would more likely be of interest to the adcoms? (*note: I'm not familiar with how GMAT scores are evaluated when applying to jobs at other industries, but I heard that it's crucial in the consulting industry...)

I'm afraid to start writing my application essays explaining that I'm interested in the consulting industry, but do poorly on the GMAT again and sort of create a "discrepancy" between my score and my post-MBA plan... Is that a total dealbreaker for B-school adcoms?

I'm willing to take the GMAT again even after I start B-school to increase my chance of getting into a good consulting company.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 199 [1], given: 76

Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Low GMAT score=dealbreaker for applying for consulting concentration? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 22:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi, I wish that I had better news for you but to get into MBB you need to have a minimum of 700 if you're attending a top 10 School and 720 if a top 20 School. Which of course is a little bit ironic because yes it's more difficult to get into a top 10 school without a 720. I'm actually not sure about the GMAT standards for 2nd tier firms like Deloitte E Y & Booz. It might be a great deal more forgiving. research it. But what I do know is if you mark down a career goal that you're in no position to achieve yes you will be likely dinged. If you put down that you want to go to MBB and you don't have a GMAT even in the ballpark of what they require then I would say that you're the chances of getting into that school are likely eliminated because adcom doesn't to set you up for achieving a goal that's un achievable. I'm not that crazy about having people state goals that are not their authentic goal but in this case I might actually stay that you do that. Another possibility is to indicate in the optional section that you plan to retake the exam, however I would only do that if your GMAT is in the ballpark like close to the actual one needed meaning shy by 20 points or less.

MBA Prep Coach

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 199 [1], given: 76

Intern
Intern
B

GPA: 3.73
Low GMAT score=dealbreaker for applying for consulting concentration? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 00:27
Hi Farrell (@MBAPrepCoach), thanks for your honest reply. I'll consider what you wrote in your reply and do some research on second tier consulting companies and see what I find (hopefully good surprises!).

Thanks again!

If anybody else is reading this thread, please leave any useful information. Personal experiences would be awesome too.

Low GMAT score=dealbreaker for applying for consulting concentration?   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2017, 00:27

Low GMAT score=dealbreaker for applying for consulting concentration?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap