GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 02:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Low GPA-High GMAT-Need Advice

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Low GPA-High GMAT-Need Advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 09:51
Hi everyone!

I graduated with high 2:2(3.0-3.1 gpa) from non target UK university, I have been working on the best investment bank in Turkey for 4 years. I am wondering If I could still have a chance in top b-schools, despite of my low undergrad gpa.

Low reason for gpa is because I was playing basketball and I wanted to be professional basketball player than I got injured and stopped playing, I was pretty demotivated to study my whole uni life.

Ethnicity: Turkish
Undergraduate background: Business studies from non target UK university 2:2(3.0-3.1 according to Fullbright)
GMAT: 760

I am planning to apply Cornell, Tuck,LBS,Insead,HEC,Bocconi,Imperial

I would be glad if you guys could give me some tips to strengthen my profile
ARLee Consulting
S
Affiliations: Samsung Electronics HR Head | INSEAD Admissions Interviewer
INSEAD: MBA 11D
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy
Re: Low GPA-High GMAT-Need Advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 12:33
Hi cozuysal,

thank you very much for your post.

European schools don't put as much emphasis on GPA alone as most US schools do. So, you will have no issues on that regard with INSEAD, LBS, HEC Paris...

However, given your high GMAT and the reason for your low GPA in college, I don't think you will have any issues with Tuck and Cornell either.

In any case, in all applications, make sure to use the Optional Essay to explain the circumstances for your GPA. But do so, without making it sound simply as an "excuse".

I hope this helps.

For a more detailed discussion, feel free to PM me or email me directly at alex@arleeconsulting.com.

Good luck!
Alex

Alex Ruiz Lee, INSEAD MBA'11D & Admissions Interviewer
ARLee Consulting - Founder and Managing Director
MBA Admissions & Career Coach
HR Executive Director

Mobile: +52 1 55 2702 0059
Email: alex@arleeconsulting.com | alex@ruizlee.es
Web: http://www.ARLeeConsulting.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee/

Please, email us your CV for a free evaluation of your candidacy

Experts' Global Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 21:55
cozuysal wrote:
Hi everyone!

I graduated with high 2:2(3.0-3.1 gpa) from non target UK university, I have been working on the best investment bank in Turkey for 4 years. I am wondering If I could still have a chance in top b-schools, despite of my low undergrad gpa.

Low reason for gpa is because I was playing basketball and I wanted to be professional basketball player than I got injured and stopped playing, I was pretty demotivated to study my whole uni life.

Undergraduate background: Business studies from non target UK university 2:2(3.0-3.1 according to Fullbright)

Hello cozuysal,

Thanks for writing in :-)

Considering your GMAT score, the GPA should not be an issue with most MBA programs. Your GMAT score is a representation of your ability to cope up with the demands of a rigorous MBA curriculum. However, the low GPA needs to be addressed in the Optional Essay for each school and rather than justifying the reason for low GPA, you must speak about your learning from the episode and how you have grown ever since :-)

For now, keep performing in your current role. In order to have a more detailed evaluation, you will need to provide us with greater details about your profile, including career progression and extra-curricular activities post college.

All the best! :-)

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2018, 01:12
thanks a lot guys, I feel more relieved
MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
P

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2018, 03:15
cozuysal wrote:
Hi everyone!

I agree with the advice of other consultants- just be matured about your low undergrad score- explain it in the optional essay while offering no excuse but saying how your sports involvement helped you learn/grow.
You have a great GMAT score, you are working in an industry that requires high quant and communication capability. These should speak to your low GPA. We have helped someone with a 760 GMAT score, low GPA and a similar sports story like yours get into Tuck. However this is just to give you an idea, I am sure the similarities end here as he belongs to another industry.

If you are applying in Round 1, there is not much time for profile improvement. But its more important to present your existing profile in the best possible way. Emphasize on your professional and community leadership, the impact you created on the people around you and explain your career plan with clarity.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

SERVICES| PROFILE DISCUSSION | BLOG

VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2018, 20:37
cozuysal I don't think that you'll have any problem given that you are coming from an underrepresented group and your GMAT is so high. Of course provided that your Quant score is also High.

GMAT indicates your aptitude for doing the work and in some ways your GPA indicates your motivation to do the work.

So in the optional essay I would outline the circumstances of why you were unmotivated before, and make sure to clarify how that is entirely different now.

If you have like a CFA or something like that where you have had to study and apply yourself over a long period of time I would call that out.

http://mbaprepcoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Re: Low GPA-High GMAT-Need Advice &nbs [#permalink] 01 Jul 2018, 20:37

Low GPA-High GMAT-Need Advice

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap