Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 293 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 293 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Re: Low GPA, Law Graduate [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ashikaverma13 wrote:
Hello,

Considering the fact that people here on the forum think 3.5 is a low GPA i don't know what to term mine.

My college had a CPI index and I had an overall 7.45/10 in 5 years of law school which doesn't seem so bad. (Right?)

Although while recently filling up the GMAT exam form, it converted mt GPA to a mearge 2.4-2.5!!!

is this really low. should I even consider giving the exam. i am a believer that good essays and recommendation coupled with goo GMAT score and given my law background with 3-4 years of work ex should be able to get me a decent college. Is that too much to hope for?

Help!

First of all, 3.5 is not a low GPA. I don't know who says that but they are not correct. It is lower than the average at the top schools, but still well within the range. In terms of your GPA, there is really no need to convert it actually. I evaluate all of my applicants from India based on their raw score, the school they went to and their major. That is the same thing the admissions directors will be doing. What undergraduate did you go to? I know for many schools that a 7.45 is in the top 20%.

Send me an email with your resume if you want to discuss, but absolutely do not give up. I have countless success stories with GPAs like yours. I am more interested in the GMAT you can get as well as your work experience. scott@personalmbacoach.com www.personalmbacoach.com

Good luck!

Best,
Scott
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
I agree with the above a 3.5 is not a low GPA, a low GPA is specific to the avg at your specific school and even with that is based on a bunch of factors related to your school, major, etc. Ultimately the school will evaluate your GPA through their own methodology but I would investigate your score converting to that low. But your hunch is right, do well on everything else and schools will take notice
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
Agree.

The GPA also comes with some context: difficulty of the program, prestige of the college, and relative standing in the class. And schools are conversant with these variables across several colleges and universities. If you think your GPA, despite low absolute number, was actually good in terms of relative standing, it’s worth mentioning.

Second, some schools (example: HBS) don’t even include GPAs on non-4 scale into their calculation of average GPA of the incoming class. (Other schools might be doing the same, but they don’t disclose it. HBS does.) That’s why comparing GPAs on non-4 scale with the average GPA of the school may not even be a fair comparison.
GMAT Club Bot