GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 06 Aug 2020, 00:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Low GPA: take alternative courses or focus on GMAT?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Low GPA: take alternative courses or focus on GMAT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2020, 19:13
I'm a stay-at-home mom looking to apply in round 2 to top MBA programs. Over the next 3-4 months I have about 20 hrs per week available (mostly in the evenings) to prep apps and study. Should I use this time to try to do really well on the GMAT or postpone GMAT until next year to take math classes to complement my app? I've included some stats below. Thank you!

Stats
- graduated 10 years ago with a B.A. in film (didn't take any quant courses)
- 3.0 GPA from a top HBCU (I was working full-time and taking care of siblings)
- startup experience + management at a well known tech company (not a FAANG)
- african-american
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 480 Q34 V20
Re: Low GPA: take alternative courses or focus on GMAT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2020, 21:18
BayAreaBison wrote:
I'm a stay-at-home mom looking to apply in round 2 to top MBA programs. Over the next 3-4 months I have about 20 hrs per week available (mostly in the evenings) to prep apps and study. Should I use this time to try to do really well on the GMAT or postpone GMAT until next year to take math classes to complement my app? I've included some stats below. Thank you!

Stats
- african-american

Dear BayAreaBison,

Welcome to the world of GMAT!

First things first, begin by taking a mock. You'll find one on GmatClub too. You'll know where you stand. Once you've gone that, you can segregate your prep in terms of learning concepts, mastering concepts, mocks and finally a window to maintain a consistent score in mocks. It is during the last stage that you can go ahead and book a date to take the Gmat.

Alternately, you can explore MiM programs as well. You can explore the chats and forums here in Gmatclub that will help you develop and understanding of the various programs.

Good Luck !
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2020, 17:48
Hi BayAreaBison! Thanks for reaching out. I would focus on the test prep now, especially on the quant side if you are lacking coursework there. I think math classes could help, but a high GMAT score is a powerful indicator to admissions, and I think would be preferred. I also worry that if you're 10 years away from your BA now, that schools will soon start to see you as too experienced for a full-time MBA. Now, if you have a bit of extra time, I might combine your test prep with a more streamlined/self-paced online course like MBAMath, which might even help refresh you on core topics for the GMAT. One more note on test prep is that if you are just getting started, I would consider taking the GRE instead. Some find the math section on the GRE to work better for them.

Hope that helps, and good luck!
Kate

BayAreaBison wrote:

Stats
- african-american

Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Moderator - Masters Forum
V
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2020, 08:26
BayAreaBison wrote:

Stats
- african-american

Hi, welcome to GmatClub. First, take a diagnostic test. based on your score, either to take quant classes or prepare your own. If the quant score is decent and confident about basics, then prepare a study plan, split timing between quant and verbal.

Low GPA: take alternative courses or focus on GMAT?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate