GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 11:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Low score on the AWA

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Low score on the AWA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 11:51
Hey folks!

Just got my Official GMAT Score Report. Scored a poor 4 on the AWA. My GMAT score is 750 (Q49, V42)

I'm applying to some of the top 10 schools. Will this score reflect poorly in my applications? I am told that writing compelling essays makes up for a low AWA score, and also that a decent TOEFL score somewhat compensates for a low AWA score too.

Would appreciate some inputs on this.

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V31
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Low score on the AWA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 13:39
bachmanity91 wrote:
Hey folks!

Just got my Official GMAT Score Report. Scored a poor 4 on the AWA. My GMAT score is 750 (Q49, V42)

I'm applying to some of the top 10 schools. Will this score reflect poorly in my applications? I am told that writing compelling essays makes up for a low AWA score, and also that a decent TOEFL score somewhat compensates for a low AWA score too.

Would appreciate some inputs on this.

Thanks!

Congratulations on achieving the great score. Could you please share some tips on the Verbal part...... It will surely help a lot of people.

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 18:29
Congratulations on the great score, bachmanity91!

Just my two cents, but I really don't think that schools care all that much about AWA. Sure, it sends a bad message if you get a truly putrid score, but a 4 isn't all that bad. If you were to get, say, a 2 -- and then write ludicrously perfect admissions essays -- then a smart reader might wonder if somebody else wrote the essays for you. But I'd be shocked if anybody has ever been rejected from any MBA program for getting a 4 on the AWA. It's a very minor part of the evaluation process.

Good luck with your applications!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 00:21
Thank you for your response GMATNinja. I am inclined to think that focusing on my applications and indicating my writing ability through the essays, is a better use of my time. On the day of the GMAT, I had a sleep-deprivation induced headache, and what seemed like a migraine attack (I've suffered from migraine attacks for a while now), which affected me throughout the test. Somehow, I pulled through quant, verbal and did okay on IR (scored a 6). I popped some aspirin during the breaks but alas, as I got around to the AWA, I just wanted the test to end :/ I typed out just a single paragraph and the conclusion and ended the test. Do you think I should mention this in my optional essays (just in case)?

Hello u1983

I see that you're an Indian. I too, am from India. I get that verbal can get challenging for Indians. Fortunately, I've had a decent command over English for most of my life (although my poor AWA score does not attest to this :D)

For what it's worth, here is some advice for navigating the verbal section -

1) CR - CR does not measure your command over English. It is plain logic. I studied from the Manhattan guide for CR. For practice, I used questions included in the Manhattan guide and also questions from the OG.

2) SC - The Manhattan guide for sentence correction is very comprehensive. Don't entangle yourself in a myriad grammatical terms and definitions. Observe patterns that keep coming up in questions. Most questions tend to test some sort of parallelism, and the parallelism error is usually obscured in the sentence. Don't study from too many resources. You're likely to end up confused, if you do. Focus on one strategy guide, answer questions from that guide and rely heavily on the questions in the OG. Do not go by the explanations the OG provides for a correct answer. They are usually inadequate. Once you've studied from a strategy guide such as the one by Manhattan, you will be able to identify why an answer to an OG question is what it is.

3) RC - The challenge for non-native speakers is that we tend to spend a lot of time trying to understand every word (and a lot of them are unfamiliar words) and sentence in a passage. Usually, we've already spent a good 3.5 - 5 minutes reading the passage before we even attempt the first question on it. The good news is - we don't need to understand every word in a passage. Do you create passage markers and do you summarise the passage in a few lines using some nifty abbreviations? If not, please start doing these things. As you answer a question, you are not required to know every detail included in the passage, but you must know where to look for a specific piece of information! As non-native speakers, we tend to get stuck thinking about a few words/word. "Debilitating"? What does that mean? What could it mean? Usually the intended meaning shines through in the rest of the sentence or the lines just after the word.

Hope this helps! Would be happy to answer specific questions, should you have any.
Darden Thread Master
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 00:36
bachmanity91 wrote:
Thank you for your response GMATNinja. I am inclined to think that focusing on my applications and indicating my writing ability through the essays, is a better use of my time. On the day of the GMAT, I had a sleep-deprivation induced headache, and what seemed like a migraine attack (I've suffered from migraine attacks for a while now), which affected me throughout the test. Somehow, I pulled through quant, verbal and did okay on IR (scored a 6). I popped some aspirin during the breaks but alas, as I got around to the AWA, I just wanted the test to end :/ I typed out just a single paragraph and the conclusion and ended the test. Do you think I should mention this in my optional essays (just in case)?

For what its worth, I'm in exactly the same position as you. Indian with a 750 GMAT and really high verbal with a low AWA score. I'm not mentioning it at all in my optional essay since anything I write will look like an excuse. It may just be better to not draw attention to it. Test day variance is a thing. Your verbal score is high and your essays will probably be well-written. You will also score well in the TOEFL/IELTS if you decide to take it. It would truly be ridiculous if a college decides to reject you because of a 4.0 AWA. Again, I'm in the same position and applying right now, so that's my logic. I could be wrong, but I really hope not.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 10:57
Hi everyone. I also got a very low score on AWA. My score is V42 Q50 Overall 760, IR 8. But AWA is 3.5. I'm fearing this will be seriously detrimental and may lead to rejection.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 11:49
SRIKANTSUROLIA wrote:
Hi everyone. I also got a very low score on AWA. My score is V42 Q50 Overall 760, IR 8. But AWA is 3.5. I'm fearing this will be seriously detrimental and may lead to rejection.

Posted from my mobile device

While 3.5 is not a great score, I highly doubt that it will seriously impact your admission.
Especially as the rest of your GMAT is truely great!

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Re: Low score on the AWA &nbs [#permalink] 25 Jul 2018, 11:49

Low score on the AWA

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap