GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 00:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Because a surfeit of undergraduate students has sent class sizes soari

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Because a surfeit of undergraduate students has sent class sizes soari  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 May 2017, 20:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

54% (00:41) correct 46% (00:54) wrong based on 755 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Because a surfeit of undergraduate students has sent class sizes soaring, the university administration has announced that it will hire more faculty members for the next school year.

(A) Because a surfeit of undergraduate students has sent class sizes soaring,
(B) Because of soaring class sizes, which is due to a surfeit of undergraduate students,
(C) Because class sizes have been sent soaring, which resulted from a surfeit of undergraduate students,
(D) Due to soaring class sizes from a surfeit of undergraduate students,
(E) Due to a surfeit of undergraduate students, with the result that class sizes have been sent soaring,

This question was modified from OG. LINK

Originally posted by avabelieve on 30 Nov 2011, 13:52.
Last edited by hazelnut on 19 May 2017, 20:27, edited 3 times in total.
Part of the sentence underlined. OA inserted in the Spoiler.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Re: Because a surfeit of undergraduate students has sent class sizes soari  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2011, 15:35
Here's the solution:

The main split in this question is Because v/s Due
Note that 'Due to' is another replacement for 'Caused by'.

Now, keeping that in mind, if we try to replace the 'Due to' in the options D and E with 'caused by', it does not fit properly, making the sentence awkward. Hence we can straight away eliminate these options.

Now, among options A, B and C:
Option A is the most concise and clear sentence. Hence it's correct.

Option B uses the relative pronoun 'which' to incorrectly qualify the clause 'Because of soaring class sizes'. Also, the option is unnecessarily wordy.

Option C also uses the relative pronoun 'which' incorrectly and is wordier than option B. Hence incorrect.

Hope this helps. :)

MBA Candidate 2015 | Georgetown University
McDonough School of Business

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Re: Because a surfeit of undergraduate students has sent class sizes soari  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2011, 17:16
Is "because/because of" always better than "due to" in GMAT?
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2011, 18:31
+1 for A.

due to vs because

"due to" is only correct in GMAT if it can be replaced by "caused by" and the resulting sentence makes sense.

"because/because of" is used to give reasons. (answer the question why?)

Eg I was late due to rain. (Incorrect) => I was late caused by rain - does not make sense.

I was late because of rain. (Correct)

Crick
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Schools: Cambridge
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.9
WE: Accounting (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2011, 02:46
I went for B because I thought the soaring class size caused the need for recruitment
Retired Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2011, 03:12
avabelieve wrote:
Because a surfeit of undergraduate students has sent class sizes soaring, the university administration has announced that it will hire more faculty members for the next school year.

A) Because a surfeit of undergraduate students has sent class sizes soaring,
B ) Because of soaring class sizes, which is due to a surfeit of undergraduate students, => "which is" is S-V agreement error
C) Because class sizes have been sent soaring, which resulted from a surfeit of undergraduate students, => "which" is wrong replaced

"Due to" here has two usages. First, "due to" must modify a noun, in this case, "due to" modify "the university" => wrong. Second usage, "due to" mean "caused by". This usage is also wrong in this case. Because is more preference

D) Due to soaring class sizes from a surfeit of undergraduate students,
E) Due to a surfeit of undergraduate students, with the result that class sizes have been sent soaring,

I went for D. OA is A. Any thoughts?

BECAUSE OF vs. DUE TO
"Due to" modify a noun
Example: From helicopter, I saw a six mile traffic jam due to an overturned truck

"Because of" modify an ENTIRE CLAUSE

Example:
I was late to the meeting because of the traffic

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2011, 03:40
In addition to the due to Vs because reason,

anyone is support of active voice and passive voice being the reason ?
I feel,A is a more direct answer in terms of usage, active voice.
D is passive.
KIndly correct if i'm wrong here.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2012, 00:47
avabelieve wrote:
<u>Because a surfeit of undergraduate students has sent class sizes soaring,</u> the university administration has announced that it will hire more faculty members for the next school year.

B ) Because of soaring class sizes, which is due to a surfeit of undergraduate students,
C) Because class sizes have been sent soaring, which resulted from a surfeit of undergraduate students,
E) Due to a surfeit of undergraduate students, with the result that class sizes have been sent soaring,

i pick A. as far i know "because" answer the question WHY and "due to' answer the question of WHAT..
" the postponement of concert is due to rain" so the postponement is caused by rain. on the other hand " the concert is postponed because it is raining" so why the concert is postponed, because it is raining. so B, D and E are out. C is out because it is unnecessarily passive

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2012, 19:43
tuanquang269 wrote:
avabelieve wrote:

B ) Because of soaring class sizes, which is due to a surfeit of undergraduate students, => "which is" is S-V agreement error
C) Because class sizes have been sent soaring, which resulted from a surfeit of undergraduate students, => "which" is wrong replaced

"Due to" here has two usages. First, "due to" must modify a noun, in this case, "due to" modify "the university" => wrong. Second usage, "due to" mean "caused by". This usage is also wrong in this case. Because is more preference

BECAUSE OF vs. DUE TO
"Due to" modify a noun
Example: From helicopter, I saw a six mile traffic jam due to an overturned truck

Example:

That's helpful. Thanks. I eliminated A/B/C on this one and went with D. Will never miss a 'due to' problem again!
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2012, 13:21
She had a terrible scar (because of/due to) her motorcycle crash ???

tuanquang269 wrote:
avabelieve wrote:

BECAUSE OF vs. DUE TO
"Due to" modify a noun

Example:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2013, 05:22
vikram4689 wrote:
She had a terrible scar (because of/due to) her motorcycle crash ???

tuanquang269 wrote:
avabelieve wrote:

BECAUSE OF vs. DUE TO
"Due to" modify a noun

Example:

guess the right thing shud be: She had a terrible scar due to her motorcycle crash

Experts please confirm

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : http://gmatclub.com/forum/end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
GPA: 3.32

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2013, 13:41
I do agree to the passive construction used in A provided

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
GPA: 3.32

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2013, 13:45
Could anyone explain how is C wrong?

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2014, 08:31
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
Could anyone explain how is C wrong?

IN C :

"because"and "which" both introduce dependent clauses. The result is that "which" has no clear referent. The sentence is also chronologically confusing.

If you like my post Kudos Please

Manager
Manager
G
Schools: LBS MIF '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2016, 01:32
I am not able to really get why B is wrong.. isn't the "which" modifying soaring class sizes?? Also, is "soaring class sizes" singular or plural here??

Thanks in advance!!
Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2016, 01:42
Quote:
I am not able to really get why B is wrong.. isn't the "which" modifying soaring class sizes?? Also, is "soaring class sizes" singular or plural here??

Thanks in advance!!

"soaring class sizes" is PLURAL and . "SOARING" is ADJECTIVE modifying "CLASS SIZES" ; in fact it is precisely for this reason that "which IS.." is WRONG in B
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2018, 14:23
Hi avabelieve,

Thank you for your question. After looking over the answers quickly, a couple major differences stand out that we need to address:

1. because of / due to
2. the order of events (surfeit of students / class sizes soaring)

Let's start with #1 because it's a pretty common topic on the GMAT: "because of" versus "due to." Here is the easiest way to remember it:

Because of = modifies verbs
Due to = modifies nouns

In this case, the phrase is modifying the verb "will hire." They will hire more teachers because of the surefit of students and larger class sizes. Therefore, we can eliminate answers D & E because they use "due to" incorrectly.

Now that it's narrowed down to A, B, & C, let's look at which answer is the clearest to readers. The actual cause needs to be closes to the phrase "because of" for it to be clearest for readers. Let's see how each stacks up:

(A) Because a surfeit of undergraduate students has sent class sizes soaring,
This answer is CORRECT because it clearly shows the order of events: more undergraduate students showed up --> class sizes soared --> the university will hire more teachers.

(B) Because of soaring class sizes, which is due to a surfeit of undergraduate students,
This answer is INCORRECT because it shows the events out of order, and it uses "which" with commas to create a non-essential clause. If we remove what's between the commas, the meaning changes - instead of the original cause being more students, it's now the soaring class sizes. It also misuses "due to," so it's altogether a bad answer.

(C) Because class sizes have been sent soaring, which resulted from a surfeit of undergraduate students,
This answer is INCORRECT for the same reason as B - it puts the events out of order, and creates a non-essential clause out of essential information. We need to see the original cause of the university's decision to hire more teachers; otherwise, we're changing the meaning. Also, it's not ideal to use the phrase "resulted from." It's not clear to readers if it's modifying a verb or noun.

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
B
Because a surfeit of undergraduate students has sent class sizes soari  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2018, 14:31
To answer rs47's question about why B is wrong, it has to do with changing meaning with non-essential clauses. The phrase "soaring class sizes" is a singular thing, so the "which is" would be fine if the answer didn't have other problems. Let's look at why B is actually wrong:

A non-essential clause is information that is "non-essential" to the meaning of the sentence. Typically those phrases are encased in commas, and you can cross them out without changing meaning. Let's look at answer B in its entirety, but with the non-essential phrase crossed out:

(B) Because of soaring class sizes, which is due to a surfeit of undergraduate students, the university administration has announced that it will hire more faculty members for the next school year.

The problem with B is that it changes the original meaning of the sentence. In the original sentence, the reason the university hired more teachers was that too many undergraduate students showed up. The cause/effect relationship looked like this:

Cause: too many undergraduate students --> Effect #1: class sizes soared --> Effect #2: university hired more teachers

In B, the soaring class sizes are now the original cause, which isn't true - they are an EFFECT of the extra students.

Since this answer changes an effect to a cause, its meaning is changed and therefore INCORRECT.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 18:04
Hi avabelieve!

To answer your question about because/due to, they are actually BOTH good answers to use on the GMAT! However, they are both meant to be used differently:

Because/Because of = modifies verbs (My dog ran away because he was afraid of the fireworks.)
Due to = modifies nouns (Due to a thunderstorm, the game cancellation lasted for 4 hours.)

I hope this helps!

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2018, 10:05
I had a question:

In the sentence, which one of "because of" and "due to" would be preferred, if we had to choose between one?
Re: Because a surfeit of undergraduate students has sent class sizes soari &nbs [#permalink] 15 Jun 2018, 10:05

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

Because a surfeit of undergraduate students has sent class sizes soari

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap