Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 20 Jul 2019, 15:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

M02-05

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
B
Re: M02-05  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2018, 00:34
3C8 - total number of ways to select committee of 3 people = 56
4! = 24 number of ways to select sibling pairs.
56-24 = 32
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2019, 21:43
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

There are four distinct pairs of brothers and sisters. In how many ways can a committee of 3 be formed and NOT have siblings in it?

A. 8
B. 24
C. 32
D. 56
E. 80

Since the committee shouldn't have siblings in it, then each pair can send only one "representative" to the committee. # of ways to choose which 3 pairs of brothers and sisters will send one "representative" to the committee is \(C^3_4\) (choosing 3 pairs which will be granted the right to send one "representative" to the committee).

But each of these 3 pairs can send 2 persons to the committee either a brother or a sister: \(2*2*2=2^3\).

So total # of ways to form the committee is \(C^3_4*2^3=32\).

Answer: C

Hello Bunuel

Could you please look into below mentioned interpretation and let me know where I went wrong
Let there be 4 pairs of bros and sis : B1S1; B2S2; B3S3; B4S4
Ways to select 1st member : 8
ways to select 2nd member : 6 (only 6 members remaining after excluding the first selection and corresponding sibling)
Ways to select 3rd member : 4 (only 4 members remaining after excluding the first and second selection and their corresponding siblings)
Total ways = 8*6*4 = 192 ways
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2019, 23:39
pm0103 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

There are four distinct pairs of brothers and sisters. In how many ways can a committee of 3 be formed and NOT have siblings in it?

A. 8
B. 24
C. 32
D. 56
E. 80

Since the committee shouldn't have siblings in it, then each pair can send only one "representative" to the committee. # of ways to choose which 3 pairs of brothers and sisters will send one "representative" to the committee is \(C^3_4\) (choosing 3 pairs which will be granted the right to send one "representative" to the committee).

But each of these 3 pairs can send 2 persons to the committee either a brother or a sister: \(2*2*2=2^3\).

Hello Bunuel

Could you please look into below mentioned interpretation and let me know where I went wrong
ways to select 2nd member : 6 (only 6 members remaining after excluding the first selection and corresponding sibling)
Ways to select 3rd member : 4 (only 4 members remaining after excluding the first and second selection and their corresponding siblings)

We need to divide \(8*6*4=192\) by the factorial of the # of people - 3! to get rid of duplications \(8*6*4=192\) contains ---> \(\frac{192}{3!}=32\) - correct answer.

Consider example with smaller number: there are two couples and we want to choose 2 people not married to each other.
Couples: \(A_1\), \(A_2\) and \(B_1\), \(B_2\). Committees possible:

\(A_1,B_1\);
\(A_1,B_2\);
\(A_2,B_1\);
\(A_2,B_2\).

Only 4 such committees are possible.

If we do as proposed in the solution you posted:
The first person on the committee can be anyone of the 4.
The second person on the committee can be only one out of 2 (the first person with her or his sibling excluded).

So we'll get: 4*2=8, so more than 4, which means that 8 contains some duplications. And to get the right answer we should divide 8 by 2! --> 8/2!=4.

It's because if you pick A1 for the first pick and than pick B1 for the second you'll get the committee {A1, B1} but if you'll pick B1 for the first pick and then A1 you'll get the exact same committee {A1, B1} (dividing by the factorial of the # of people in committee you'll exclude this double countings).

Hope it helps.
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2019, 00:04
Bunuel wrote:
pm0103 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

A. 8
B. 24
C. 32
D. 56
E. 80

Hello Bunuel

We need to divide \(8*6*4=192\) by the factorial of the # of people - 3! to get rid of duplications \(8*6*4=192\) contains ---> \(\frac{192}{3!}=32\) - correct answer.

Consider example with smaller number: there are two couples and we want to choose 2 people not married to each other.
Couples: \(A_1\), \(A_2\) and \(B_1\), \(B_2\). Committees possible:

\(A_1,B_1\);
\(A_1,B_2\);
\(A_2,B_1\);
\(A_2,B_2\).

Only 4 such committees are possible.

If we do as proposed in the solution you posted:
The first person on the committee can be anyone of the 4.
The second person on the committee can be only one out of 2 (the first person with her or his sibling excluded).

So we'll get: 4*2=8, so more than 4, which means that 8 contains some duplications. And to get the right answer we should divide 8 by 2! --> 8/2!=4.

It's because if you pick A1 for the first pick and than pick B1 for the second you'll get the committee {A1, B1} but if you'll pick B1 for the first pick and then A1 you'll get the exact same committee {A1, B1} (dividing by the factorial of the # of people in committee you'll exclude this double countings).

Hope it helps.

Thanks a ton :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2019, 08:42
Bunuel wrote:

A. 8
B. 24
C. 32
D. 56
E. 80

Notes:
-- We are selecting, not arranging groups/people, so we use combinations
-- There is no replacement, in fact "choose 1 sibling" requires us to remove the other possible sibling for the next step
-- The 4 pairs are different, but the people in them count as identical (each is a sibling rather than boy/girl). So we are choosing 1 out of 2 identical people to put into 3 out of 4 different groups.

Ways to choose three pairs = 4C3 = 4
Ways to choose 1 sibling out of 2 from each of the three pairs = 2C1 * 2C1 * 2C1
4*8 = 32
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2019, 05:41
Bunuel

Although I got this correct, I was uncomfortable with 4 distinct pairs of brothers and sisters. If the pair has to be distinct it can well be A,B; B,C; C,A; D,A. Please see that pairs are distinct here.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2019, 06:04
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2019, 06:07
Bunuel wrote:
vinayakvaish wrote:
Bunuel

Although I got this correct, I was uncomfortable with 4 distinct pairs of brothers and sisters. If the pair has to be distinct it can well be A,B; B,C; C,A; D,A. Please see that pairs are distinct here.

If A is B sibling and B is C's sibling, then isn't A a sibling of C?

Yes! please see that I have mentioned C,A as a distinct pair. The point of the matter is C,A and A,B are distinct pairs
GMAT Club Bot
Re: M02-05   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2019, 06:07

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

M02-05

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel