Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 16:42 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 16:42
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644159 [153]
Given Kudos: 86770
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644159 [31]
Given Kudos: 86770
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [7]
Given Kudos: 329
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '23 (M)
GRE 1: Q170 V163
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
Re: M06-19 [#permalink]
Bookmarks
A very good question. You would just have to draw a straight line and think logically to solve this tricky problem.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [3]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
VeritasPrepKarishma Bunuel

A-----------------X-----------------------------------------------------------------B

Can you please share your thoughts on this problem.

I have tried to visualize it this way. Say we have 100m distance between the two points. Now, See Buster has started 20 minutes before but still reaches at the same time that means his time is t + 20 if t is the time taken by charlie to reach 100 meters distance.

Now, one thing we know is that : charlie has higher speed than buster. So far so good. But how do we know what happens before they cross, at the time of crossing and after they have crossed is something I need more clarification on.

When Charlie starts Buster has already covered a distance equal to 20 times his speed in miles per hour. When charlie and Buster meet at say X point then we have D-X more than X Since if both we running at equal speed then starting 20 minutes early they would have met beyond the midpoint of the D.

I think, I am getting lost beyond this point.

Can you help me get organized from here?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 34632 [13]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ankushbagwale wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma Bunuel

A-----------------X-----------------------------------------------------------------B

Can you please share your thoughts on this problem.

I have tried to visualize it this way. Say we have 100m distance between the two points. Now, See Buster has started 20 minutes before but still reaches at the same time that means his time is t + 20 if t is the time taken by charlie to reach 100 meters distance.

Now, one thing we know is that : charlie has higher speed than buster. So far so good. But how do we know what happens before they cross, at the time of crossing and after they have crossed is something I need more clarification on.

When Charlie starts Buster has already covered a distance equal to 20 times his speed in miles per hour. When charlie and Buster meet at say X point then we have D-X more than X Since if both we running at equal speed then starting 20 minutes early they would have met beyond the midpoint of the D.

I think, I am getting lost beyond this point.

Can you help me get organized from here?

Hi ankushbagwale and Avigano,

we are concerned what happens when B reaches half the distance..

B takes \(x\) min and C takes \(x-20\)....
B is at half the distance at \(\frac{x}{2}\).....

so lets see where is C at this time -20 min, as he starts 20 minutes later = \(\frac{x}{2} -20\)..
But when does C reach midway = at \(\frac{x-20}{2} =\frac{x}{2} - 10\)
since C reaches half way ONLY at \(\frac{x}{2} -10\), he has to walk for another 10 minutes after \(\frac{x}{2}-20\) to reach mid-way..
so they meet towards the starting point of C..
suff
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 2.75
Send PM
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 260 [2]
Given Kudos: 1023
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I wasn't satisfied with the explanation given here so i tried to solve it:
Smart numbers worked only after doing some attempts as answer used to vary with the distance between b mph and c mph. Let me know if you think i am doing some/anything wrong...

PLEASE USE C = 19 NOT 20.
as i said, the answer only made sense after a few trials...
Attachments

attempt.jpg
attempt.jpg [ 713.04 KiB | Viewed 76141 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Beauty!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [40]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: ISB '20
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Given: Speed of B = B miles per hour
Speed of C = C miles per hour and C started the journey after 20 minutes.

from1) C took 55 minutes...not giving us any information regarding time taken by B so we can't compare their speeds, hence not sufficient !

from2) B & C reached at the same time.
Let's assume
distance D= 100 miles and time taken by B = 100 mins, therefore time taken by C = 80 mins
Hence speed of B = 1 mile per min and C =10/8 mile per min
C started the journey after 20 mins.....so in 20 mins B covered 20 miles....remaining distance 80 miles
Now Relative speed concept They both are travelling in opposite directions so relative speed = 1+10/8 =18/8 miles per min
time taken to cover 80 miles with this relative speed
= (80/18)*8 = 35.something (this is the time when they cross each other)
B already covered 20 miles and in 35.something time s/he will cover = 35 miles total = 55 miles , this means C covered 100-55 =45 miles. Hence option B !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [5]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 620 Q46 V29
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Trailer (X)---------------------------A-----------Studio (Y)

Buster gets to the studio at the same time as Charlie gets to the trailer, given Charlie leaves 20 mins later than Buster
=> Charlie walks faster than Buster
=> C > B

Question: Is XA < YA ?

(1) Statement 1 is clearly insufficent because we don't know at which point Charlie and Buster meet

(2)

Trailer (X)---------------------------A-----------Studio (Y)

Buster passes Charlie at point A
In 20 mins, the distance Buster covers = B/3
Let t denotes the period Charlie and Buster must walk until they meet at point A
The distance Buster has covered when he reaches point A: XA=B/3 + Bt
The distance Charlie has covered when he reaches point A: YA = Ct

=> The distance Buster needs to cover ahead = Ct ; the distance Charlie needs to cover ahead = B/3+Bt

Since they arrive at the destinations at same time, let t1 denotes the period both Buster & Charlie need to walk to their destinations.

=> The distance Buster needs to cover ahead = Ct = B*t1 = YA
The distance Charlie needs to cover ahead = B/3+Bt = C*t1 = XA

We need to compare YA and XA => We need to compare B*t1 and C*t1
Since C>B => C*t1 > B*t1 => XA > YA
=> SF
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [2]
Given Kudos: 368
GPA: 3.99
Send PM