GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 20:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

M11-21

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V
M11-21 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (00:50) correct 27% (01:06) wrong based on 105 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Expert Post
Math Expert
V
Re M11-21 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:44
Official Solution:

Statement (1) by itself is insufficient. We can decrease the perimeter by shrinking the triangle (i.e. by choosing \(AB\) close to 7 and \(BC\) close to 0).

Statement (2) by itself is insufficient. There are no limits on the size of the triangle.

Statements (1) and (2) combined are sufficient. S1 and S2 combined provide a system of equations from which it follows that \(AB\) is 3, \(BC\) is 4, the hypotenuse is 5, and the perimeter is 12.

Answer: C

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Current Student
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Human Resources (Consumer Products)
M11-21 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2015, 19:26
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Statement (1) by itself is insufficient. We can decrease the perimeter by shrinking the triangle (i.e. by choosing \(AB\) close to 7 and \(BC\) close to 0).

Statement (2) by itself is insufficient. There are no limits on the size of the triangle.

Statements (1) and (2) combined are sufficient. S1 and S2 combined provide a system of equations from which it follows that \(AB\) is 3, \(BC\) is 4, the hypotenuse is 5, and the perimeter is 12.

Answer: C

Hello Bunuel,

Here is how approached this problem:

Statement 1: I considered that as ABC is a right angled triangle, I should look for pythagoras triplets - so AB and BC must be 3,4 to give 5 as hypotenuse.

Could you please tell me how is this approach wrong?

Thanks!

Thanks,
aimtoteach

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please give Kudos if you find this post useful.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: M11-21 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2016, 06:08
Hello aimtoteach

Not all right angled triangles follow the Pythagorean Triplet theory
In the sense that AB could equal = 2 and BC = 5
still holding statement (1) AB + BC = 7 true

and the hypotenuse AC would equal (2^2 + 5^2)^.5 = 29^.5
= approximately between 5 and 6

& Perimeter would then = 2+5+5 = 15

And hence statement 1 is Not Sufficient

Thanks
ppnimkar
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.8
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2016, 20:50
Excellent question for today, thank you Bunuel and thank you ppnimkar for your explanation as well...I was wrong myself and chose A) with S1 being sufficient but I see the fallacy in my logic now!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tepper '19
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2016, 02:13
if it is a right triangle does this not mean that 2 sides of the triangle should be equal , by that logic two sides are 3.5,3.5 and the third side can be found by pythagores theoram
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2016, 02:21
yashrakhiani wrote:
if it is a right triangle does this not mean that 2 sides of the triangle should be equal , by that logic two sides are 3.5,3.5 and the third side can be found by pythagores theoram

No, it does not mean that at all. Why should ABC necessarily be an isosceles right triangle?

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2016, 09:46
Please see the below attached photos for the explanation
>> !!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 17:39
My 2 cents:
As in question it is NOT mentioned whether size of sides AB and BC is integer we CANNOT assume, based on AB + BC = 7, that AB = 3 or 4 & BC = 4 or 3 to form Pythagorean triplet or 3-4-5. As CORRECTLY shown above by others, AB = 6.5 and BC = 0.5.
Honestly, i made the same mistake in this problem. :(
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 02:06
Bunuel could you please explain why statement 1 is not sufficient if I use the Pythagorean triple theory?
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 02:11
sadikabid27 wrote:
Bunuel could you please explain why statement 1 is not sufficient if I use the Pythagorean triple theory?

So you are saying that the sides must be 3 and 4 and the hypotenuse comes out to the 5. But why? How do you know that the sides of this particular triangle must be Pythagorean triple? Why cannot they be 1 and 6, for example? Or why they cannot be 1.4 and 5.6? We are neither told that the sides are Pythagorean triples nor that the sides are integers.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 02:28
One angle is 90 degree. so I took in triangle abc assuming it's a right triangle, ab^2+bc^2=ac^2 , ab+bc=7 so ab^2+bc^2=7^2 , then you can find ac=7, so ab+bc+ca=7+7=14 (that's perimeter), where I am going wrong? Bunuel
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 02:33
sadikabid27 wrote:
One angle is 90 degree. so I took in triangle abc assuming it's a right triangle, ab^2+bc^2=ac^2 , ab+bc=7 so ab^2+bc^2=7^2 , then you can find ac=7, so ab+bc+ca=7+7=14 (that's perimeter), where I am going wrong? Bunuel

I tried to explain it above. Here it is again. Yes, the given triangle is right angled at B and yes, AB^2 + BC^2 = AC^2. But AB + BC = 7 does not mean that AB^2 + BC^2 = 7^2. If you square AB + BC = 7 you'll get AB^2 + 2AB*BC + BC^2 = 7^2.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Re: M11-21   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2018, 02:33

M11-21

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap