GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 12:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

M27-03

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
M27-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:19) correct 54% (01:35) wrong based on 292 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Of the 58 patients of Vertigo Hospital, 45 have arachnophobia. How many of the patients have acrophobia?

(1) The number of patients of Vertigo Hospital who have both arachnophobia and acrophobia is the same as the number of patients who have neither arachnophobia nor acrophobia.

(2) 32 patients of Vertigo Hospital have arachnophobia but not acrophobia.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Math Expert
V
Re M27-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:26
Official Solution:

Tricky question.

(1) The number of patients of Vertigo Hospital who have both arachnophobia and acrophobia is the same as the number of patients who have neither arachnophobia nor acrophobia. Use double-set matrix:

As you can see, # of patients who have acrophobia is \(58-45=13\). Sufficient.

(2) 32 patients of Vertigo Hospital have arachnophobia but not acrophobia. Clearly insufficient.

Answer: A

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Current Student
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Reviews Badge
Re: M27-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2014, 15:39
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Tricky question.

(1) The number of patients of Vertigo Hospital who have both arachnophobia and acrophobia is the same as the number of patients who have neither arachnophobia nor acrophobia. Use double-set matrix:

(2) 32 patients of Vertigo Hospital have arachnophobia but not acrophobia. Clearly insufficient.

I have a query with regard to understanding the underlying assumption involved here:
Are we assuming that the hospital could have patients with diseases other than arachnophobia and acrophobia ? And if NO, then why is statement 2 insufficient?

As per Statement 2: 32 patients of Vertigo Hospital have arachnophobia but not acrophobia, implies that the no. of people with both arachnophobia and acrophobia should be 13, satisfying the given no. of 45 and hence the no. of people acrophobia should amount to 13 and hence the ans is 23.

I cannot draw the venn diagram, but assuming the intersection part as x and only acro as y:
32+x+y = 58
32+x = 45 given
Hence y = 58-45 = 13
Reqyired answer: 13+x = 13+13 = 26.

Yes it defies the logic that both statments always give the same answer but what am i missing here.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2014, 00:51
earnit wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Tricky question.

I have a query with regard to understanding the underlying assumption involved here:
Are we assuming that the hospital could have patients with diseases other than arachnophobia and acrophobia ? And if NO, then why is statement 2 insufficient?

As per Statement 2: 32 patients of Vertigo Hospital have arachnophobia but not acrophobia, implies that the no. of people with both arachnophobia and acrophobia should be 13, satisfying the given no. of 45 and hence the no. of people acrophobia should amount to 13 and hence the ans is 23.

I cannot draw the venn diagram, but assuming the intersection part as x and only acro as y:
32+x+y = 58
32+x = 45 given
Hence y = 58-45 = 13
Reqyired answer: 13+x = 13+13 = 26.

Yes it defies the logic that both statments always give the same answer but what am i missing here.

We cannot assume that there are no patients with some other phobias in the hospital. Moreover, (1) says: the number of patients of Vertigo Hospital who have both arachnophobia and acrophobia is the same as the number of patients who have neither arachnophobia nor acrophobia. The patients who have neither arachnophobia nor acrophobia, are those who have some other phobias. So, we are in fact directly told that there are patients with some other phobias in the hospital.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Retired Moderator
P
GMAT ToolKit User
Re M27-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2015, 06:54
I think this question is good and helpful.
Very Good Question

Hasan Mahmud

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
WE: Analyst (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2015, 14:30
Bunuel wrote:
Of the 58 patients of Vertigo Hospital, 45 have arachnophobia. How many of the patients have acrophobia?

(1) The number of patients of Vertigo Hospital who have both arachnophobia and acrophobia is the same as the number of patients who have neither arachnophobia nor acrophobia.

(2) 32 patients of Vertigo Hospital have arachnophobia but not acrophobia.

What confuses me about this question is that the math is simple where the x's just cancel out making the total non acro # = total arachno #. Made me think I did it wrong so I picked C - both are required. But I guess logically, if the patient #'s are the same between both arachno and acro and neither arachno and acro, then the math works out.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 13:44
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Tricky question.

Bunuel Sir, Could please explain in more detail that how we got Number of patients who have acrophobia as 58-45=13.

From the given and statement i) I could only conclude that people having Arachnophobia is 45 and people not having Arachnophobia is 13.

And I assumed people having both phobias to be x and people having none to be x.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2015, 01:29
anurag356 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Tricky question.

Bunuel Sir, Could please explain in more detail that how we got Number of patients who have acrophobia as 58-45=13.

From the given and statement i) I could only conclude that people having Arachnophobia is 45 and people not having Arachnophobia is 13.

And I assumed people having both phobias to be x and people having none to be x.

It's all in the matrix:

The number of patients of Vertigo Hospital who have both arachnophobia and acrophobia (X) is the same as the number of patients who have neither arachnophobia nor acrophobia (X).

The number of patients with arachnophobia but no acrophobia is 45 - x.
The number of people without acrophobia is (45 - x) + x = 45.
Acrophobia = Total - No Acrophobia = 58 - 45 = 13.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2015, 16:59
Bunuel wrote:
anurag356 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Tricky question.

It's all in the matrix:

The number of patients of Vertigo Hospital who have both arachnophobia and acrophobia (X) is the same as the number of patients who have neither arachnophobia nor acrophobia (X).

The number of patients with arachnophobia but no acrophobia is 45 - x.
The number of people without acrophobia is (45 - x) + x = 45.
Acrophobia = Total - No Acrophobia = 58 - 45 = 13.

Thanks, I now understood where I was wrong, to be honest with you I actually couldn't figure out how 45-x+x=45 and therefore i couldn't understand the 58-13=45 part.

But now as you stressed on the fact that its in the matrix, thanks to u on more careful observation I figured out the issue. People having Arachnophobia and Acrophobia is assumed x , we have people having Arachnophobia is 45 therefore people with Arachnophobia but no Acrophobia is 45-x. 45-x+x=45. Now as People having none is also x , therefore again we have the same equation for People having No Acrophobia but Arachnophobia + none of phobias =45-x+x =45. Hence 58-45=13

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re M27-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2015, 21:38
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Problem with this answer is that it has taken a assumption that all patients have either arachophobia or acrophobia. No patient is having neither is these two diseases. Therefore, I think question stem must change in order to accommodate this assumption , so that option A is correct
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2015, 00:23
prateekjainstar90 wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Problem with this answer is that it has taken a assumption that all patients have either arachophobia or acrophobia. No patient is having neither is these two diseases. Therefore, I think question stem must change in order to accommodate this assumption , so that option A is correct

That's not so. Please re-read the thread and ask if anything remains unclear.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Re M27-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2015, 12:05
I think this is a poor-quality question. guyes u need to reconfigure your overlappins problems. they are misleading. i ve noted in my posts somewhere that you are inconsistent in logic: in overlapping sets you leave the room for assumptions, in other type of questions you dont.

KUDO me plenty

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2015, 21:26
shasadou wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question. guyes u need to reconfigure your overlappins problems. they are misleading. i ve noted in my posts somewhere that you are inconsistent in logic: in overlapping sets you leave the room for assumptions, in other type of questions you dont.

Please elaborate what you mean. Thank you.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2015, 16:28
I understand the (45 -x) + x part, but how do you know this equation equals 45?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2015, 20:54
Current Student
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2016, 15:56
One can use the venn diagram where the value of x will vary from 0 to 13 giving the count of the patient having acrophobia always to be 13.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tepper '19
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2016, 13:42
why is b insufficient ? 58-32 should give us the number of patients having acrophobia......
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2016, 12:28
Option B should be sufficient too. 45 - x = 32 leading to x = 13 which in turn the number of people with ACR and not ARA = 0. In conclusion the total number of people with ACR is equal to 13. The same number obtained with option A. Thus Option D should be correct. Plz Correct me if I am wrong.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2016, 23:18
Diranims wrote:
Option B should be sufficient too. 45 - x = 32 leading to x = 13 which in turn the number of people with ACR and not ARA = 0. In conclusion the total number of people with ACR is equal to 13. The same number obtained with option A. Thus Option D should be correct. Plz Correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, that's wrong. We cannot deduce the red portion for the second statement.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2017, 02:02
Hi Bunuel,
I am getting confused while trying to understand how the count for total acrophobia which as per your solution is equal to 58-45=13? I think the following should be the correct case:- Total number of patients - No Arachnophobia = Acrophobia+ Neither of the two.

Hit +1 Kudos If you like this post!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: M27-03 &nbs [#permalink] 08 Jan 2017, 02:02

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 28 posts ] 

M27-03

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap