It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 06:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Machines X and Y work at their respective constant rates. How many

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Machines X and Y work at their respective constant rates. How many [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2010, 20:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

62% (01:36) correct 38% (01:19) wrong based on 452 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Machines X and Y work at their respective constant rates. How many more hours does it take machine Y, working alone, to fill a production order of a certain size than it takes machine X, working alone?

(1) Machines X and Y, working together, fill a production order of this size in two-thirds the time that machine X, working alone, does

(2) Machine Y, working alone, fills a production order of this size in twice the time that machine X, working alone, does

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Can you explain this one Bunuel plz?

At the end,we are having a definite quantity "X"..Right?So I still feel the answer is D.

Because there is no other value/variable affecting the outcome except for the "X".Please clarify if I am going badly wrong somewhere!

Attachment:
DS-3 (1).jpg
DS-3 (1).jpg [ 143.42 KiB | Viewed 5997 times ]
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V
Re: Machines X and Y work at their respective constant rates. How many [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2010, 20:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Machines X and Y work at their respective constant rates. How many more hours does it take machine Y, working alone, to fill a production order of a certain size than it takes machine X, working alone?

Let \(x\) and \(y\) be the times needed for machines X and Y respectively working alone to fill a production order of this size.

Question: \(y-x=?\)

(1) Machines X and Y, working together, fill a production order of this size in 2/3 the time that machine X, working alone, does --> general relationship: \(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}=\frac{1}{total \ time}\) --> Total time needed for machines X and Y working together is \(total \ time=\frac{xy}{x+y}\) (general formula) --> given \(\frac{xy}{x+y}=x*\frac{2}{3}\) --> \(2x=y\). Not sufficient

(2) Machine Y, working alone, fills a production order of this size in twice the time that machine X, working alone, does --> \(2x=y\), the same info. Not sufficient

(1)+(2) Nothing new. Not Sufficient.

Answer: E.

Hope it helps.

P.S. Please post one question per topic. Also you can attach image files directly so no need to attach zip files.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
Re: Machines X and Y work at their respective constant rates. How many [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2010, 16:52
Bunuel wrote:

Let \(x\) and \(y\) be the times needed for machines X and Y respectively working alone to fill a production order of this size.

(1) Machines X and Y, working together, fill a production order of this size in 2/3 the time that machine X, working alone, does --> general relationship: \(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}=\frac{1}{total \ time}\) --> Total time needed for machines X and Y working together is \(total \ time=\frac{xy}{x+y}\) (general formula) --> given \(\frac{xy}{x+y}=x*\frac{2}{3}\) --> \(2x=y\). Not sufficient

(2) Machine Y, working alone, fills a production order of this size in twice the time that machine X, working alone, does --> \(2x=y\), the same info. Not sufficient

Hope it helps.

P.S. Please post one question per topic. Also you can attach image files directly so no need to attach zip files.

Pardon me if this is a stupid approach. but still I want to get it clarified.
From 1, as you said, \frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}=\frac{2x}{3}
threfore \frac{1}{y}=\frac{2x}{3}-\frac{1}{x}
this gives \frac{1}{y}=\frac{2x^2-3}{3x}
Now using the value y=2x, substitute in the above equation and u get 2x^2=\frac{9}{4}
hence x=\frac{3}{2}
with this we can even find y.
Hence answer is C.
What is wrong in this approach?

Thanks,
VP

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2010, 22:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
vigneshpandi wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it helps.

Pardon me if this is a stupid approach. but still I want to get it clarified.
From 1, as you said, ...\(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}=\frac{2x}{3}\)
threfore \(\frac{1}{y}=\frac{2x}{3}-\frac{1}{x}\)
this gives \(\frac{1}{y}=\frac{2x^2-3}{3x}\)
Now using the value y=2x, substitute in the above equation and u get 2x^2=\frac{9}{4}
hence x=\frac{3}{2}

with this we can even find y.
Hence answer is C.
What is wrong in this approach?

What you are basically saying is that you can solve 1 equation \(\frac{xy}{x+y}=x*\frac{2}{3}\) with 2 unknowns \(x\) and \(y\). Though it's not generally impossible (for example: 2x+y=y+4) this is not the case here.

Next, we have \(total \ time=\frac{xy}{x+y}=x*\frac{2}{3}\) and not \(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}=\frac{2x}{3}\) as you wrote (the calculation in red is not correct, it should be: \(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}=\frac{1}{total \ time}=\frac{1}{x*\frac{2}{3}}=\frac{3}{2x}\)). So if you substitute \(y\) by \(2x\) in \(total \ time=\frac{xy}{x+y}=x*\frac{2}{3}\) (which by the way gives this relationship) you don't get the \(x=\frac{3}{2}\), you'll get \(x*\frac{2}{3}=x*\frac{2}{3}\) --> \(\frac{2}{3}=\frac{2}{3}\) as \(x\) will cancel out.

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Expert Post
8 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2010, 09:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
In this question, I would like to discuss the use of logic.

Ques: How many more hours does it take machine Y than it does machine X.
So I am looking for a number like 2 hrs or something.
Neither of the statements gives me a number of hours for anything. Only relative time taken. So we can straight away say the answer is (E).

Also, how to deal with a statement like without getting into equations and variables: Machines X and Y, working together, fill an order in 2/3 the time that machine X, working alone, does.

Together, they take 2/3 the time taken by machine X. i.e. if machine X took 6 hrs, together they took 4 hrs. The 2 hrs were saved because machine Y was also working for those 4 hrs. In 4 hrs machine Y did what machine X would have done in 2 hrs. So time taken by machine Y alone will be twice the time taken by machine X alone.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2013, 14:07
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel,
Can you please see why my logic is not correct?

my equation was this: (X+Y)*2*(Z/3) = XZ
where X is the rate of machine X, Y the rate of machine Y and Z is the time it takes for machine X to fill the order alone.
In the end, I get an equation that is opposite from what you got: 2Y=X.

What's wrong with that?
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2013, 00:53
ronr34 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel,
Can you please see why my logic is not correct?

my equation was this: (X+Y)*2*(Z/3) = XZ
where X is the rate of machine X, Y the rate of machine Y and Z is the time it takes for machine X to fill the order alone.
In the end, I get an equation that is opposite from what you got: 2Y=X.

What's wrong with that?

Please read solutions carefully.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 12-26-2013
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2013, 11:15
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it helps.

Hi,

I am not understanding statement 1.
If x & Y are the rates respectively , then 1/X and 1/Y are the time taken to complete the task.
Shouldnt the equation be

1/X + 1/Y = 2/3X

It gives a degree 3 equation but I am not sure where I am going wrong in logic ?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2013, 20:27
A4G wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it helps.

Hi,

If x & Y are the rates respectively , then 1/X and 1/Y are the time taken to complete the task.
Shouldnt the equation be

1/X + 1/Y = 2/3X

It gives a degree 3 equation but I am not sure where I am going wrong in logic ?

As Bunuel noted above, X is the time taken by machine X and Y is the time taken by machine Y. Combined time taken is 2X/3
Rates are 1/X and 1/Y which are additive. The combined rate is 3/2X
1/X + 1/Y = 3/2X

Also note that you are trying to add individual time taken in your equation. But times are not additive, only rates are additive. e.g. if you take 2 hrs to complete a work and I take 3 hrs, together will we take 5 hrs? I hope you understand that we will take less than 2 hrs for sure because you alone can complete it in 2 hrs. So times are NOT additive.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 12-26-2013
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2013, 22:07
This post received
KUDOS
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
A4G wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it helps.

Hi,

Shouldnt the equation be

1/X + 1/Y = 2/3X

As Bunuel noted above, X is the time taken by machine X and Y is the time taken by machine Y. Combined time taken is 2X/3
Rates are 1/X and 1/Y which are additive. The combined rate is 3/2X
1/X + 1/Y = 3/2X

Also note that you are trying to add individual time taken in your equation. But times are not additive, only rates are additive. e.g. if you take 2 hrs to complete a work and I take 3 hrs, together will we take 5 hrs? I hope you understand that we will take less than 2 hrs for sure because you alone can complete it in 2 hrs. So times are NOT additive.

Thanks Karishma .. The point you made about time really makes sense and I missed a small but very important point
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2014, 23:29
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it helps.

Bunuel my thought process was that - No where in the question is the absolute time mentioned for any any machine so none of the 2 points are sufficent . hence E.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2014, 00:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
himanshujovi wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it helps.

Bunuel my thought process was that - No where in the question is the absolute time mentioned for any any machine so none of the 2 points are sufficent . hence E.

That's not entirely correct.

For example, if the first statement were: machines X and Y, working together, fill a production order of this size in 1/2 the time that machine X, working alone, does, then this would be sufficient. Because in this case we would have x=y, and hence x-y=0.

Does this make sense?

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2018, 10:36
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: Machines X and Y work at their respective constant rates. How many   [#permalink] 06 Feb 2018, 10:36

Machines X and Y work at their respective constant rates. How many

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap