Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 23:15 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 23:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72906 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4124 [1]
Given Kudos: 1851
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72906 [1]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Edition - Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatophobia wrote:
GMAC sent out an email sometime back with a few more details regarding the availability of various prep materials targetting GMAT Focus Edition.

The details of the same can be found here.

Thanks so much for posting and sharing!

I have taken a screenshot of the page just in case (they have been known to disappear from time to time :angel:)

The interesting part is that GMAT Prep Exams 5 and 6 were split up. Are they planning to sell them separately?

Still no timing on the Official Guides... I have not been able to find any anywhere in the US so far....

Attachment:
gmat-focus-may2.png
gmat-focus-may2.png [ 229.28 KiB | Viewed 3735 times ]
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
There was quite a bit of new information actually released - trying to digest it now... there is a lot :dazed

Does this mean that there are no longer ANY free score reports? I have a bad feeling about this... i see a lot of emphasis on "you can send your scores any time you want when you are ready" so this tells me that perhaps no free score reports? Anyone else took it this way?

There is no need to cancel your score for the GMAT™ Focus Edition.

Since you are not required to select which business school programs receive your Official Score Report before you take the GMAT™ Focus Edition, there will never be a need to cancel your score. You only send the scores you want to, and if you do not send your Official Score Report to schools after the exam, they will not be able to see it. It will only remain accessible via your mba.com account for you to view.

Please note that once you send your score to a program, GMAC cannot undo that action or disable the school's ability to view your score.

Source: https://www.mba.com/exams/gmat-focus-ed ... re-reports
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
GMAT Percentiles

This is very interesting - there is now a 100th percentile. That's new since we have only had a 99th percentile. This is interesting and likely to be controversial among the math folks. I see some sources say that 99th percentile is the highest possible value and Wikipedia says that 100th percentile is possible but it approaches positive infinity However, we have multiple values with 100th percentile. is that because they are impossible???

There are 3 values with 99th percentile: 705, 715, and 725

Attachment:
gmat-focus-percentiles.png
gmat-focus-percentiles.png [ 45.51 KiB | Viewed 3590 times ]
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4124 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
There was quite a bit of new information actually released - trying to digest it now... there is a lot :dazed

Does this mean that there are no longer ANY free score reports? I have a bad feeling about this... i see a lot of emphasis on "you can send your scores any time you want when you are ready" so this tells me that perhaps no free score reports? Anyone else took it this way?

There is no need to cancel your score for the GMAT™ Focus Edition.

Since you are not required to select which business school programs receive your Official Score Report before you take the GMAT™ Focus Edition, there will never be a need to cancel your score. You only send the scores you want to, and if you do not send your Official Score Report to schools after the exam, they will not be able to see it. It will only remain accessible via your mba.com account for you to view.

Please note that once you send your score to a program, GMAC cannot undo that action or disable the school's ability to view your score.

Source: https://www.mba.com/exams/gmat-focus-ed ... re-reports

I believe GMAC still plans to allow 5 free reports. The change is around not having to select the schools prior to the exam. Test takers will get the flexibility to choose the schools after the exam. This is similar to the current GMAT Online format in which one cannot cancel the scores because the selection of the schools is done post the exam.

This page mentions that free reports are still a part of GMAT Focus.

https://www.mba.com/exams/gmat-focus-edition/

Excerpt : Easier Score Sending - After you know your score (and not before) send it to 5 schools for free!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
You are right! Thank you. I found it on the first page of the announcement. Sorry about the false alarm :angel:

Attachment:
free-score-reports.png
free-score-reports.png [ 27.46 KiB | Viewed 3525 times ]
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Yes: not only are the 5 free score sends still available, but students will now have up to 48 hours to decide once the score becomes official, which normally takes 72 hours or more.

Given GMAC's wording, it also appears that on the GMAT Focus, as with the current version of the GMAT online, you will no longer be given the option to send these 5 free scores immediately before (current test-center GMAT) or immediately after (the old version of the GMAT online) the exam—only days afterward, through your GMAC account once your score is official.

Source: https://www.mba.com/exams/gmat-focus-ed ... your-score

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 02 May 2023, 12:35.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 02 May 2023, 12:48, edited 3 times in total.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Yes: not only are the 5 free score sends still available—but students now have up to 48 hours to decide.

Given GMAC's wording, it also appears that on the GMAT Focus, you will no longer be given the option to send these scores immediately before (test-center) or after (GMAT online) the exam—but only afterward through your GMAC account.

Source: https://www.mba.com/exams/gmat-focus-ed ... your-score

Yes. 48 hours is how it is today with the online gmat - you have 48 hrs to decide to send it but only for the online version of the test and seems the change will apply to both test-center and online versions.
https://www.mba.com/exams/gmat-exam/sco ... your-score
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72906 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Percentile Analysis GMAT Classic vs. GMAT Focus

It appears GMAT Focus has more condensed percentiles at this time. Things may change and WILL change over time and based on the current percentile table released, there will be unused scores (above 725) - the only way I can explain 100th percentile. Anyone has a better explanation?

• 25th percentile is 485 vs. 510
  • 50th percentile is 555 vs. 600
  • 75th percentile is 605 vs. 660
  • 99th percentile is 705 vs. 760

It is interesting that the 50th and 75th percentile are only 50 points apart but 75th and 99th are 100 points apart. My guess they are expecting the average to continue climbing and spread out so that's why it is grouped this way. My guess they wanted to plan ahead. Seems a lot of padding in the middle section :-o

It is a bit weird the scores are that much different with 99th percentile ending at 725. Since they matched the scales very closely I find this an odd choice.

Attachment:
gmat focus percentiles .gif
gmat focus percentiles .gif [ 34.52 KiB | Viewed 3439 times ]

Attachment:
percentiles-gmat-focus-vs-gmat-classic.png
percentiles-gmat-focus-vs-gmat-classic.png [ 105.42 KiB | Viewed 3443 times ]
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32889 [1]
Given Kudos: 4456
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
I would add

Quote:
What does your GMAT Focus Edition score percentile mean?
As well as a total score and subsection scores, your Official Score Report will also include a percentile ranking. This shows what percentage of test takers you performed better than.

For example, if your percentile ranking is 75%, this means you scored higher than 75% of other test takers. The percentile ranking will help schools when selecting candidates.

Performance insights
GMAT Focus Edition test-takers will also receive enhanced, detailed performance insights in their official score report.

This includes insights for each question type, for each fundamental skill, and by content domain within each individual section of the exam.

You’ll also be able to see a breakdown of your time management throughout the exam. Your report will show in minutes your response time and your review time, for every question of all three sections.

In the GMAT Focus Edition, test-takers will be taken to a new ‘Question Review & Edit’ page, where you will see your answers to each question, and any questions you bookmarked. Here, candidates can review as many questions as they like and edit three answers per section.

Your performance insights report will show how much time you spent reviewing and editing questions in this section.

These additional performance insights are for your benefit only. Analyzing your score report will help you to understand where your strengths and weaknesses lie to best prepare you for starting your business school journey.

Source: https://www.businessbecause.com/news/gm ... ing-system

Attachment:
screenshot.1287.jpg
screenshot.1287.jpg [ 56.18 KiB | Viewed 6634 times ]
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4124 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Fumi wrote:
Does anyone know if the number of limited attempts will be taken over to this focus edition?

Posted from my mobile device

Sadly, there has been no indication from GMAC that there will be any changes to the annual (5) or lifetime (8) limits on an individual's total number of official GMAT attempts—which I agree puts GMAC at a competitive disadvantage, since the GRE from ETS has no lifetime limit.

However, the last time GMAC introduced a new version of the exam (the GMAT online) in 2020, there was a brief period of time when students (and tutors!) were allowed take it once, without affecting their lifetime limits.

Perhaps this will also be the case with the GMAT Focus.

mcelroytutoring - Came across this article that mentions the testing limits for GMAT Focus Edition.

The current limits on the number of attempts also apply to GMAT Focus, i.e. 5 attempts in a rolling 12-month period and 8-lifetime attempts.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you!

PS. This is trustworthy since business because is owned by GMAC. Disappointing however 😢

gmatophobia wrote:
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Fumi wrote:
Does anyone know if the number of limited attempts will be taken over to this focus edition?

Posted from my mobile device

Sadly, there has been no indication from GMAC that there will be any changes to the annual (5) or lifetime (8) limits on an individual's total number of official GMAT attempts—which I agree puts GMAC at a competitive disadvantage, since the GRE from ETS has no lifetime limit.

However, the last time GMAC introduced a new version of the exam (the GMAT online) in 2020, there was a brief period of time when students (and tutors!) were allowed take it once, without affecting their lifetime limits.

Perhaps this will also be the case with the GMAT Focus.

mcelroytutoring - Came across this article that mentions the testing limits for GMAT Focus Edition.

The current limits on the number of attempts also apply to GMAT Focus, i.e. 5 attempts in a rolling 12-month period and 8-lifetime attempts.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
bb wrote:
GMAT Percentiles

This is very interesting - there is now a 100th percentile. That's new since we have only had a 99th percentile. This is interesting and likely to be controversial among the math folks. I see some sources say that 99th percentile is the highest possible value and Wikipedia says that 100th percentile is possible but it approaches positive infinity However, we have multiple values with 100th percentile. is that because they are impossible???

There are 3 values with 99th percentile: 705, 715, and 725

bb wrote:
Percentile Analysis GMAT Classic vs. GMAT Focus

It appears GMAT Focus has more condensed percentiles at this time. Things may change and WILL change over time and based on the current percentile table released, there will be unused scores (above 725) - the only way I can explain 100th percentile. Anyone has a better explanation?

Hi bb, although seeing GMAT Focus scores of 735 and above listed as "100th percentile" is indeed strange (it is impossible to score higher than 100% of test takers, since you can't score higher than yourself), and GMAC has never used this terminology before, I find it much more likely that GMAT Focus scores do indeed go all the way to 805—that scores of 735-805 are simply 99.5% or above, and have thus been rounded up to the so-called 100th percentile.

In fact, the ACT college entrance exam (ACT Inc. is currently the author of all official GMAT questions) has listed perfect 36/36 scores as 100th percentile on its score reports for decades:

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 02 May 2023, 19:39.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 03 May 2023, 07:39, edited 4 times in total.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32889 [3]
Given Kudos: 4456
Send PM
Kudos