Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Here's my question, I was born in Inda brought up in the US and am currently a US Citizen. So that makes me a 1st gen. immigrant, with a IR major and a finance background. Am I still part of the Indian/Male pool?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, I guess this is the perfect thread to post this. Those of you I.I.T (Indian Male IT)-ians who are planning to use an admission-consultant for your applications: https://www.general-ed.com/
This is an agency that's run by Indian graduates from top B-schools. They *should* be able to help us better than most other admission consultants. Oh yeah, and they charge in Rupees :)

Disclaimer: I myself am not using them (or any other consultant for that matter as I prefer to write my own story), but I know one of them personally. So yeah, they're the real deal.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Male/Indian/IT pool - who belongs in there ? [#permalink]
pmenon wrote:
Hey guys. So in doing my research, Ive read a lot about the many number of b-school applicants who fall into the "male, Indian, IT" pool. From what I read and hear, this pool is extremely talented, and therefore, very competitive.

My question is: what determines whether an applicant gets lumped into this pool ?

My background: I am Canadian, but have an Indian background. I never went to school in India, or lived there for a matter of fact. I got a B.Eng degree in undergrad, and I currently work as a telecom engineer.

What are your thoughts ? Will I get lumped in there or not ?

So just write about being Canadian somewhere in your essays.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
shmegs wrote:
Here's my question, I was born in Inda brought up in the US and am currently a US Citizen. So that makes me a 1st gen. immigrant, with a IR major and a finance background. Am I still part of the Indian/Male pool?

No. Talk about growing up in the US. Talk about finance. You are out of the pool.

Heres what makes someone part of the indian IT pool... so many essays basically read like this:

I am indian born
I grew up in a small town you have probably never heard of somewhere in india, but im compelled to tell you about it anyway
My father was poor, as was most of my family.
I worked hard at school to make a better life for myself because my father /mother/grandmother instilled in my (insert generic statement about ethics or hard work).
I was admitted to (insert top engineering school in Bangalore, Lahore, or other)
I worked hard there too. Here are my scores: X%, Y%. Impressive! No really, look at them again!
I joined (insert HUGE IT company) as a Programmer Analyst / Junior Tester / etc which is a really big deal round here.
I have never left india since for reasons I dont explain
I have worked for 2 years on a variety of low level projects with little strategic focus and will tell you all about the minutiae of these projects, skipping over the big picture.
But I now I want to work for (insert top consulting or IB firm)
Because my father wanted me to succeed
Thus, I want to come to (insert school).
Then I want to come back to india and end poverty somehow.

Avoid telling a story like this and you will differentiate.

Also, I'm not trying to offend anyone here - I really admire those that come from these challenging backgrounds and succeed.... That said, its just a very common story.

Originally posted by rhyme on 27 Aug 2007, 08:58.
Last edited by rhyme on 27 Aug 2007, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
shmegs wrote:

No. Talk about growing up in the US. Talk about finance. You are out of the pool.

Heres what makes someone part of the indian IT pool... so many essays basically read like this:

I am indian born
I grew up in a small town you have probably never heard of somewhere in india, but im compelled to tell you about it anyway
I worked hard at school to make a better life for myself because my father /mother/grandmother instilled in my (insert generic statement about ethics or hard work).
I was admitted to (insert top engineering school in Bangalore, Lahore, or other)
I worked hard there too. Here are my scores: X%, Y%. Impressive! No really, look at them again!
I joined (insert HUGE IT company) as a Programmer Analyst / Junior Tester / etc which is a really big deal round here.
I have worked for 2 years on a variety of low level projects with little strategic focus and will tell you all about the minutiae of these projects, skipping over the big picture.

Thanks Rhyme! I'll try to distinguish myself, and focus on my int'l experience (grew up around the world, dad worked for USAID), and finance/consulting focus on developing economies.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
shmegs wrote:
rhyme wrote:
shmegs wrote:

I am indian born

Thanks Rhyme! I'll try to distinguish myself, and focus on my int'l experience (grew up around the world, dad worked for USAID), and finance/consulting focus on developing economies.

Yea, there you go. Don't focus on your indian background, focus on the multicultural experiences youve had growing up around the world. Just remember one other thing: the essay is about you, not your dad. Mention USAID if its relevant (which it probably is as an explanation as your movements around the world) but dont harp on it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
shmegs wrote:

I am indian born

Also, I'm not trying to offend anyone here - I really admire those that come from these challenging backgrounds and succeed.... That said, its just a very common story.

Wow. Have you been secretly reading my essays? I better send some of my essays for your review.

rhyme:I sent you a PM.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
Wow. Have you been secretly reading my essays? I better send some of my essays for your review.

rhyme:I sent you a PM.

:(

Dont despair, these profiles are not dead meat. Several of the people I worked with last year had this profile and they did just fine (once they changed their essays to be more about them and less about their families).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
haha, I'm the opposite, trying to show that even though I'm American born and raised (mostly), I understand the East Asian culture and lived there when I was younger. Hope they don't lump me into the Chinese IT pool because of that! ;)
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Never knew there was a Chinese IT pool - anyways I am so horrible with computers that I am not qualified to talk about IT stuff.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, I made that one up... how about Chinese Engineer pool? ;)

Woh, everyone's adding an avatar now... I need to find one... It's like the naming of the b-schools! :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Funny. I also thought that (About you) when I saw aviroop's avatar.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
Well, I made that one up... how about Chinese Engineer pool? ;)

Woh, everyone's adding an avatar now... I need to find one... It's like the naming of the b-schools! :)

Ya you do, You are almost on the upper echelon of GMATClub management - my avatar is based on my mistaken identity. A lot of people in LA think I am Hispanic, hence the avatar (which is good, coz that makes it easier for me to hook up with some lovely Latinas)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
HAHA !!! Rhyme, what a riot !!! ... Its funny because its so TRUE !!...
rhyme wrote:
shmegs wrote:

I am indian born

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
LOL! It's always about hot chicks with you, avi ;)
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
LOL! It's always about hot chicks with you, avi ;)

If not B-school at least the company of some lovely women is what I expect as consolation prizes!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
 Q51  V42
Send PM
Male Indian IT , Little Different here [#permalink]
Removed.

Originally posted by hbs.aspirant on 29 Aug 2007, 11:57.
Last edited by hbs.aspirant on 29 Aug 2007, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
Male Indian IT , Little Different here [#permalink]
   1   2   3   4