GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 03:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Manhattan, SC guide, Chapter 5 - Pronouns - Oil traders have ...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Manhattan, SC guide, Chapter 5 - Pronouns - Oil traders have ...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Sep 2018, 17:09
Manhattan, Sentence Correction guide, Chapter 5 - Pronouns,
Problem Set
Oil traders have profited handsomely from the recent rise in its price

Solution - Oil traders have profited handsomely from the recent rise in price of oil.

I understand the issue in a pronouns trying to refer back to oil which is acting as a adjective here.
But what is wrong in this? - Oil traders have profited handsomely from the recent rise in oil price

A careful analysis of the students' test scores reveals that some of them must have cheated.

Solution - A careful analysis of the students' test scores reveals that some students must have cheated.

I understand the issue of incorrect reference to test scores.
But what is wrong in this? - A careful analysis of the students' test scores reveals that some of the students must have cheated.

Originally posted by RajatGoel on 16 Sep 2018, 16:41.
Last edited by RajatGoel on 16 Sep 2018, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 2: 570 Q43 V27
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
Reviews Badge
Manhattan, SC guide, Chapter 5 - Pronouns - Oil traders have ...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 23:58
RajatGoel wrote:
Problem Set

Solution - Oil traders have profited handsomely from the recent rise in price of oil.

I understand the issue in a pronouns trying to refer back to oil which is acting as a adjective here.
But what is wrong in this? - Oil traders have profited handsomely from the recent rise in oil price

A careful analysis of the students' test scores reveals that some of them must have cheated.

Solution - A careful analysis of the students' test scores reveals that some students must have cheated.

But what is wrong in this? - A careful analysis of the students' test scores reveals that some of the students must have cheated.

Hi,

In both the sentences, ask yourself what are the pronouns referring back to?

In #9 what is the antecedent of "it". Certainly the author wants to say oil but the word "oil" has not been mentioned anywhere instead the word "oil traders" has been mentioned. As there is no antecedent of the pronoun "it", the sentence is incorrect.

Similarly, in #12 there is no antecedent for "them". The author wants to say "students" but the word that is present is "students'", which is the possessive of students and not the same thing. Students and students' mean different things and cannot be used interchangeably.

In absence of a proper antecedent, both the sentences are incorrect.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Manhattan, SC guide, Chapter 5 - Pronouns - Oil traders have ...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 01:17
urvashis09 wrote:
RajatGoel wrote:
Problem Set

Hi,

In both the sentences, ask yourself what are the pronouns referring back to?

In #9 what is the antecedent of "it". Certainly the author wants to say oil but the word "oil" has not been mentioned anywhere instead the word "oil traders" has been mentioned. As there is no antecedent of the pronoun "it", the sentence is incorrect.

Similarly, in #12 there is no antecedent for "them". The author wants to say "students" but the word that is present is "students'", which is the possessive of students and not the same thing. Students and students' mean different things and cannot be used interchangeably.

In absence of a proper antecedent, both the sentences are incorrect.

Hi, I am very clear about the issues related to pronouns in these sentences which you have correctly mentioned in your response. I query is regarding the correction.

In #9, while correcting can i say "...recent rise in oil price"
Note the solution says "...recent rise in price of oil"

Similarly, In #9 while correcting can i say "...reveals that some of the students must have cheated"
Note the solution says "...reveals that some students must have cheated."

Are my versions correct to the problem you have pointed out? Please help
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Premium Member
Re: Manhattan, SC guide, Chapter 5 - Pronouns - Oil traders have ...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 00:00
RajatGoel wrote:
Hi, I am very clear about the issues related to pronouns in these sentences which you have correctly mentioned in your response. I query is regarding the correction.

In #9, while correcting can i say "...recent rise in oil price"
Note the solution says "...recent rise in price of oil"

Similarly, In #9 while correcting can i say "...reveals that some of the students must have cheated"
Note the solution says "...reveals that some students must have cheated."

Are my versions correct to the problem you have pointed out? Please help

Hi RajatGoel

When referring to the price of oil, you say oil prices and not oil price because there are various forms and all of them have a different price. I hope that helps.

Practice makes you perfect.

Kudos are appreciated.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Manhattan, SC guide, Chapter 5 - Pronouns - Oil traders have ...   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2018, 00:00

Manhattan, SC guide, Chapter 5 - Pronouns - Oil traders have ...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics