Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [15]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [1]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Stern School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 539 [2]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
IESE School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Re: Many companies require that a resume received in consideration for any [#permalink]
IMO A

require - > use "to verb" is absolutely fine here.

B. "is error free" --Wrong
C. "are listed" - Wrong
D. "to be" the wrong usage
E. "listed" USe of past tense is wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [0]
Given Kudos: 140
Send PM
Re: Many companies require that a resume received in consideration for any [#permalink]
Many companies require that a resume received in consideration for any vacant positions be error free and list salary requirements.

POE:
Stop sign - require. There is subjunctive, we will use the base form of the verb.
Eliminate (B), (D).
Eliminate (E) - change of menaing.
Eliminate (C) - passive plus long as compared to (A)

A) be error free and list salary requirements - CORRECT

B) is error free and it lists salary requirements

C) be error free and salary requirements are listed

D) to be error free and salary requirements be listed

E) be error free, and it listed salary requirement
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Many companies require that a resume received in consideration for any vacant positions be error free and list salary requirements.

* Subject verb pair [ " Companies require" ; "resume be " ; "resume list' ] - All subject have verb
* Tense form [ Present ] - correct & conveys intended meaning
* If -then condition - Not used
* Subjunctive Verb [ "resume be" ; "resume list" ] - correctly used
* Pronoun - Not used
* Modifiers [ "resume" is properly modified by "received in consideration for any vacant positions" ] - correctly used
* Parallelism [ "be error free" and "list salary requirements"] - seems okay
* Comparison - Not used
* Idiomatic - seems okay

A) be error free and list salary requirements

1. proper use of subjunctive verb as per subjunctive rule.
2. parallelism marker "and" correctly used.

- Correct

B) is error free and it lists salary requirements

1. distortion of subjunctive rule while using "is"
2. while using "it" makes the parallelism error.

- Incorrect

C) be error free and salary requirements are listed

1. distortion of subjunctive rule while using "are"
2.parallelism error

- Incorrect

D) to be error free and salary requirements be listed

- usage of "to" is incorrect

- Incorrect

E) be error free, and it listed salary requirements

1.while using "it" makes the parallelism error
2." listed" distort the subjunctive verb rule structure.

-Incorrect

IMO(A)

Hope it clear!!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.02
Send PM

A) be error free and list salary requirements Correct use of command subjunctive. It must be followed by the verb in its base form "be error free"

B) is error free and it lists salary requirements Incorrect. "is error" free does not align with the correct usage of command subjunctive

C) be error free and salary requirements are listed incorrect parallelism using "are listed"

D) to be error free and salary requirements be listed Incorrect. "to be error" free does not align with the correct usage of command subjunctive

E) be error free, and it listed salary requirements two sentences connected by "and" and "comma" join two independent clause. However the second clause is not independent
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
(A) Many companies require that a resume received in consideration for any vacant positions be error free and list salary requirements.

My question is about the verb "list"
I am right in thinking since this is in subjunctive, the verb is in its base mode.
And not "lists" SV agreement with "a resume"?
I was not sure if the base form of the verb rule is applicable to other parts of a parallel construction!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
AnirudhaS wrote:
(A) Many companies require that a resume received in consideration for any vacant positions be error free and list salary requirements.

I am right in thinking since this is in subjunctive, the verb is in its base mode.
I was not sure if the base form of the verb rule is applicable to other parts of a parallel construction!

Yes, AnirudhaS, both verbs are conjugated in the subjunctive tense within this require that framework, since the conjunction and links each element to the earlier stem:

Many companies require that a resume... be error free AND

[Many companies require that a resume]... list salary requirements.

Parallel construction is often tested on the GMAT™, and the more lists you come across in official questions, the more you will appreciate their tight parallelism. If one element seems off, ask yourself whether a safer alternative exists within another answer choice.

- Andrew
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AnirudhaS wrote:

Hello AnirudhaS,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, yes - here, "list" is the base form of the verb, presented in the subjunctive mood.

The subjunctive mood applies to "list" because it is one of the actions that "companies require", meaning the subjunctive trigger "require" applies to it.

We hope this finds you well.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts