Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6618 [85]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [12]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [10]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [7]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Many house builders offer rent-to-buy programs that enable a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
betterscore wrote:
Many house builders offer rent-to-buy programs that enable a family with insufficient savings for a conventional down payment to be able to move into new housing and to apply part of the rent to a purchase later.

(A) programs that enable a family with insufficient savings for a conventional down payment to be able to move into new housing and to apply

(B) programs that enable a family with insufficient savings for a conventional down payment to move into new housing and to apply

(C) programs; that enables a family with insufficient savings for a conventional down payment to move into new housing, to apply

(D) programs, which enables a family with insufficient savings for a conventional down payment to move into new housing, applying

(E) programs, which enable a family with insufficient savings for a conventional down payment to be able to move into new housing, applying

This is the problem of paralleism. like: to X and to Y
'A' - To be able is wordy and not making sense over here.
'B' - Perfect
'C' - semicolon unnecessary and parallelism is not there.
'D' & 'E' - "That" is required. As per rule use "Which" when information needs to be followed of main clause is not very important. and Opposite for "That".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 09-30-2012
GPA: 3.08
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Bookmarks
gmatcallow wrote:
Many house builders offer rent-to-buy programs that enable a family with insufficient savings for a conventional down payment to be able to move into new housing and to apply part of the rent to a purchase later

This original sentence is almost correctly written except its bit wordy on the portion "to be able to move into".I am yet to find out any answer by GMAC,that uses "to be able to" in a correct option.

(A) wordy as explained above.
(B)correct.removes the wordy portion
(C)semicolon is not needed.Apart from that it has S-V agreement problem.It should be "that enable" instead of "that enables"
(D)S-V agreement problem as explained in option (C)
(E)wordy same problem as the original question.

With option A and E the problem is not that they are wordy the problem is parallelism & modifier error.
A : to be able to move into ...... to apply part of .........
E : .. the part after which separated with a coma is an non essential modifier, remove it and the sentence left doesn't make sense..... which it should in case of non essential modifiers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [6]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Another problem with A, what I see is that "to be able" is redundant when we are already talking about "enable a family with insufficient savings ...."
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [3]
Given Kudos: 30
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Many house builders offer rent-to-buyprograms that enable a family with insufficient savings for a conventional down paymentto be able to move into new housingand to apply part of the rent to a purchase later.

thus the reduced stem stands to be : House Builders offer programms THAT enable a family to be able to move...............AND...........to apply.

Verytical scan Reveals only A & B fits this :

A : Enable a family...............To be able to move into a new housing ( To be able = unnecessary = thus Eliminated )

B : Enable a family.................To move into a new housing ( perfect = maintains parallelism : TO move..............AND.................TO apply )

Leading to B

Rgds SKM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 206 [2]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Kudos
betterscore wrote:
Many house builders offer rent-to-buy programs that enable a family with insufficient savings for a conventional down payment to be able to move into new housing and to apply part of the rent to a purchase later.

(A) programs that enable a family with insufficient savings for a conventional down payment to be able to move into new housing and to apply

(B) programs that enable a family with insufficient savings for a conventional down payment to move into new housing and to apply

(C) programs; that enables a family with insufficient savings for a conventional down payment to move into new housing, to apply

(D) programs, which enables a family with insufficient savings for a conventional down payment to move into new housing, applying

(E) programs, which enable a family with insufficient savings for a conventional down payment to be able to move into new housing, applying

Note that we only have two parallels here: "..to move.. to apply". The portion that comes after the underlined portion simply modifies "apply", don't get confused by the addition of "TO a purchase", this does not indicate that this is part of the parallel. Even at that, if purchase was parallel, then it would already be preceded by "and". It's not preceded by and, so that indicates that we have two parallels, not three. Thus, we only need "and" between the parallels

A) "programs that enable a family... to be able to move.. and to apply part of the rent..." is parallel, but the bolded portion is somewhat superfluous and distorts the meaning of the author. These programs do not unlock the ability to move, families have the actual ability to move even prior to the program. The addition of the infinitive "to be able" distorts the intended meaning

B) The only difference between A and B is that B omits "to be able". Much more concise and does not distort the intended meaning

C) subject verb agreement is violated (programs.. enables), also the semicolon creates a fragment. The parallel is 100% correct, but C is wrong for the aforementioned reasons.

D) subject verb error, (programs.. enables), and the parallel is erroneous because we have a present participle that is not in accordance with the infinitive "to move". D is wrong

E) the comma is weird, the "which" creates a inessential clause but the information we are given IS essential, it specifies something crucial about these programs, thus we need "that" instead of "which". Also, the parallelism is violated since we have the infinitive to move and the present participle applying.

So, B is correct!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1219 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
betterscore wrote:

It is easy to boil it down to B & E..

E has redundancy issues with repetition of "be able to" and " , which " issue
For people interested in how the -ing part works here(I am one of these few)...
ing modifies the complete action as it is following the clause "which enable a family with insufficient savings for a conventional down payment to be able to move into new housing"..So it does makes sense to say that 'applying' is a correct usage of -ing modifier here as it is telling us something more about the previous clause..a valid usage
But there is also an additional premise to be fulfilled..the subject should also make sense with the ing modifier..
Here the subject is "which" i.e rent to buy programs..Here it is the program payment structure that is applying part of the rent payment to purchase payment.It is also a plausible meaning and is grammatically correct...
Although this modifies the intended meaning i.e Person applies for a part of the rent to be converted into purchase...I am concerned with the grammatical validity of the option E

Experts please comment on my thinking
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [6]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
JusTLucK04 wrote:
betterscore wrote:

ing modifies the complete action as it is following the clause "which enable a family with insufficient savings for a conventional down payment to be able to move into new housing"..So it does makes sense to say that 'applying' is a correct usage of -ing modifier here as it is telling us something more about the previous clause..a valid usage
But there is also an additional premise to be fulfilled..the subject should also make sense with the ing modifier..
Here the subject is "which" i.e rent to buy programs..Here it is the program payment structure that is applying part of the rent payment to purchase payment.It is also a plausible meaning and is grammatically correct...
Although this modifies the intended meaning i.e Person applies for a part of the rent to be converted into purchase...I am concerned with the grammatical validity of the option E

Dear JusTLucK04
I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, if you are going to ask questions about grammar, please learn the correct terminology. Referring to this structure as the "-ing part" is tantamount to saying that you have no intention of seriously understanding the grammar involved. The philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein said, "You can enter no world for which you do not have the language." If you ignore and neglect the technical grammatical vocabulary, you will never develop the kind of precise understanding that you need to master SC grammar.

Here, the word "applying" is a participle and begins a participial phrase, about which you can find out more here:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/participle ... -the-gmat/

The participle can modify the action of the clause if the action of the clause could be construed as the subject. Here, the use of the participle is incorrect, because the people who performed the action are the "families", but the placement of the participle doesn't clearly indicate them. Furthermore, the prompt indicates that the "applying" is something the "rent-to-buy program" enabled the families to do, and this connotation is lost in (E).

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [5]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
JusTLucK04 wrote:
betterscore wrote:

Hi JusTLucK04,

You have correctly identified both the errors in option E. Also, your understanding regarding the verb-ing modifier is absolutely correct. :)

1. The phrase ‘to be able’ is redundant in the given sentence because of the presence of the verb ‘enable’.

2. The verb-ing modifier ‘applying’ is incorrectly used here. Since this modifier is placed after a clause and preceded by a comma it modifies the preceding clause. So, this conveys the meaning that the action of applying part of the rent to a purchase later enables the family to move into a new house. This is incorrect. The rent-to-buy programs enable a family to move into a new house.

Also, the modifier should make sense with the subject of the preceding clause. Since the modifier ‘which’ refers to ‘rent –to-buy programs’, this means that the programs apply the part of the rent to a purchase later. This is illogical since the programs cannot apply part of the rent to a purchase.

Option B does not have any of these errors and conveys the meaning clearly:

Many house builders offer rent-to-buy programs
o that enable a family with insufficient savings for a conventional down payment
• to move into new housing
• and to apply part of the rent to a purchase later.

This option clearly states that the programs enable the family to do two things:

1.) to move into new housing.
2.) To apply part of the rent to a purchase later.

Hope this helps! :)
Deepak
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
@e-gmat:
Could you please help answer my query as well.

OG-12#55
OG explanation for option D and E says "applying following a non restrictive clause suggests incorrectly that the builders, not the family, are applying the rent."

I have seen many sentence structures such as "main clause + restrictive clause, -ing modifier ..." in which participle modifier can modify either of the clause main or restrictive, depends on sentence, but I am not aware of such rule that participle modifier can jump over non restrictive clause and modify the subject of main clause. Could you please shed some light on this ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
mike,

Can we eliminate option C because the ";" is used to separate two independent clauses.The second clause of the option, starting with that enables is not independent.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Regards
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [4]
Given Kudos: 130