GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 05:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Many of us bemoan our lack of foresight by complaining that if we woul

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
Many of us bemoan our lack of foresight by complaining that if we woul  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2019, 02:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:18) correct 29% (01:17) wrong based on 224 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Many of us bemoan our lack of foresight by complaining that if we would have bought property twenty years ago, we could have taken advantage of the recent real estate boom.

A. by complaining that if we would have bought property twenty years ago, we could have taken advantage of the recent real estate boom

B. , looking backward to a potential property purchase twenty years ago and wishing we had done so for present purposes

C. : with real estate available so cheaply twenty years ago, the advantages of the recent boom would be ours for the asking

D. , complaining that if we had bought property twenty years ago, we could have taken advantage of the recent real estate boom

E. , the complaint being our lack of purchasing property twenty years ago and the consequent absence of profit in the recent real estate boom

D
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Many of us bemoan our lack of foresight by complaining that if we woul  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2019, 03:29
Bunuel wrote:
Many of us bemoan our lack of foresight by complaining that if we would have bought property twenty years ago, we could have taken advantage of the recent real estate boom.

A. by complaining that if we would have bought property twenty years ago, we could have taken advantage of the recent real estate boom

B. , looking backward to a potential property purchase twenty years ago and wishing we had done so for present purposes

C. : with real estate available so cheaply twenty years ago, the advantages of the recent boom would be ours for the asking

D. , complaining that if we had bought property twenty years ago, we could have taken advantage of the recent real estate boom

E. , the complaint being our lack of purchasing property twenty years ago and the consequent absence of profit in the recent real estate boom

IMO D; complaining that if we had bought property twenty years ago, we couldhave taken advantage of the recent real estate boom
comparision recent past and future is done ...
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Many of us bemoan our lack of foresight by complaining that if we woul  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2019, 06:00
After the process of elimination, I was left with A and D, and I chose A. Why is A wrong?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 01:08
Bunuel - I am unable to understand the reason of choosing an option which has "if had, could" over "If would have, could"

Could you please elaborate?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2019, 09:02
nehasomani33 wrote:
Bunuel - I am unable to understand the reason of choosing an option which has "if had, could" over "If would have, could"

Hi experts Bunuel GMATNinja i too have a similar query as above
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2019, 02:33
nehasomani33 wrote:

Would is conditional i.e something that didn't happen
Would is used to denote future from the reference of past
Eg. I would have scored 100 marks in my maths exam if I had studied well.

Here the action was to take place in past itself not the future of past, thus would is eliminated
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2019, 06:25
Top Contributor
Let's have a simple rule in mind. In "conditional clauses"- the clauses that use the conditional marker 'if'', one will never find the futuristic auxiliary verbs such as 'will' or 'would', or 'would have'. These auxiliary verbs will be used only in the main clause. This is because, the conditional and the causal part of the sentence ought to have happened earlier than the main clause. If the conditional clause does not happen or did not happen or had not happened, the effectual main clause will never happen or would not happen or would not have happened respectively.

That is the reason that A is essentially wrong. One can see in D that the conditional part is in an earlier tense i.e. - had bought, - and the main part is in the perfect tense such as 'could have' taken. Every time we use a past perfect tense in the conditional part, we use a '' would have or could have or might have or should have" structure in the main clause. This is technically called a conditional perfect but there is nothing to bother about the terminology.
Re: Many of us bemoan our lack of foresight by complaining that if we woul   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2019, 06:25

Many of us bemoan our lack of foresight by complaining that if we woul

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics