Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 16 Jul 2019, 09:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. T

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Posts: 176
Location: Brazil
GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT ToolKit User
Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. T  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 06:23
7
30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

63% (01:43) correct 37% (01:54) wrong based on 691 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics


Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. The number of employees with the qualifications Vebrol Will require for promotion to department head is equal to only half the expected vacancies. Vebrol is not going to hire department heads from outside the company, have current department heads take over more than one department, or reduce the number of its departments. So some departments Will be without department heads next year, since Vebrol Will not__________________________

A) promote more than one employee from any department to serve as heads of departments
B) promote any current department heads to higher-level managerial positions
C) have any managers Who are currently senior to department heads serve as department heads
D) reduce the responsibilities of each department
E) reduce the average number of employees per department
Most Helpful Community Reply
Current Student
User avatar
G
Joined: 04 Feb 2014
Posts: 222
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. T  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2017, 23:04
5
1
Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. The number of employees with the qualifications Vebrol Will require for promotion to department head is equal to only half the expected vacancies. Vebrol is not going to hire department heads from outside the company, have current department heads take over more than one department, or reduce the number of its departments. So some departments Will be without department heads next year, since Vebrol Will not__________________________

Premise 1: Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year.
Premise 2: The number of employees with the qualifications Vebrol Will require for promotion to department head is equal to only half the expected vacancies.

Conclusion: Some departments Will be without department heads next year
Strengthener1: Vebrol is not going to hire department heads from outside the company
Strengthener2: will not have current department heads take over more than one department, or reduce the number of its departments

Strengthener3: This we are required to figure out from the options.

A) promote more than one employee from any department to serve as heads of departments They don't have enough qualified people to handle the job.
B) promote any current department heads to higher-level managerial positions out of scope
C) have any managers Who are currently senior to department heads serve as department heads Sounds good as no super senior mgmt personel would be asked to manage the deptt
D) reduce the responsibilities of each department still doesn't ans why some dept would be without dept heads next year
E) reduce the average number of employees per department still doesn't ans why some dept would be without dept heads next year
_________________
Kudos if you like my post
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1677
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. T  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 07:27
2
1
Many department heads are retiring this year.
Eligible candidates for department heads = 50% of vacancies.
Department heads can't handle multiple departments and candidates are not hired from outside the company.
Conclusion: Few departments will not have department heads.

We have to find an answer choice that supports the conclusion.

A) promote more than one employee from any department to serve as heads of departments - Incorrect. Even if the company promoted more than one employee the number of eligible candidates is only half the number of vacancies.

B) promote any current department heads to higher-level managerial positions - Incorrect. No effect on the conclusion.

C) have any managers Who are currently senior to department heads serve as department heads - Correct. Supports the conclusion by providing one more condition.

D) reduce the responsibilities of each department - Incorrect. Out of scope. We do not have any stated relationship between responsibilities of a department and department head.

E) reduce the average number of employees per department - Incorrect. Even if there were few employees in the department the department can be without a department head.

Answer: C
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Sep 2015
Posts: 625
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. T  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2017, 17:03
C) have any managers Who are currently senior to department heads serve as department heads - Correct.
Supports the conclusion by providing one more condition.
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1032
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. T  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 07:14
Imo C
If the managers who are senior to department heads will not be asked to remain department head then there will be more vacancy for department heads , hence this is what C is saying .
_________________
Please give kudos if you find my answers useful
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 05 Aug 2011
Posts: 16
Location: United States (NY)
Undergraduate: Stanford
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
WE: Asset Management (Consulting)
Re: Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. T  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 15:05
A: Even if Vebrol promoted employees, there would still be some depts without leaders. Eliminate

B: Similar to A. This would exacerbate the problem. Eliminate

C: Hold

D: Irrelevant. The argument is not about the responsibility of departments. The argument is about headcount and vacancies.

E: This is already happening. If the company were to avoid reducing headcount, then this answer choice provides the opposite of what we're trying to achieve.

Let's look at C. It reminds me of "have current dept heads take over..."
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1746
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. T  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 08:45
IMO C

Conclusion : So some departments Will be without department heads next year. how this is possible? Somehow department head position will not be filled. Only C is on line of thinking.
_________________
Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 106
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. T  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 07:24
1
felippemed wrote:
Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. The number of employees with the qualifications Vebrol Will require for promotion to department head is equal to only half the expected vacancies. Vebrol is not going to hire department heads from outside the company, have current department heads take over more than one department, or reduce the number of its departments. So some departments Will be without department heads next year, since Vebrol Will not__________________________

A) promote more than one employee from any department to serve as heads of departments
B) promote any current department heads to higher-level managerial positions
C) have any managers Who are currently senior to department heads serve as department heads
D) reduce the responsibilities of each department
E) reduce the average number of employees per department






C) have any managers Who are currently senior to department heads serve as department heads --Correct
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Sep 2014
Posts: 105
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. T  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 00:24
geeeeeeeeeeeee
read the stem wrong ..no wonder i could not reach the correct answer
reading is slowing me down
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1746
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. T  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 00:41
Checkout this thread. you can really improve your verbal section by going through this one daily basis. gmatexam439 is doing great job in this post. If you leave a comment, he will help you in pointing out your errors as well. Do this activity daily and you find your reading improved, gradually.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/most-importa ... 79954.html

On top solve 2 questions daily from every section butler project will keep you in touch. Remember reading is an exercise for brain. feed it more and you will start seeing result in time.
_________________
Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Sep 2014
Posts: 105
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. T  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 00:47
My RC is really bad ...i generally make more mistakes in RC than in SC & CR combined

thanks for the link

aragonn wrote:
Checkout this thread. you can really improve your verbal section by going through this one daily basis. gmatexam439 is doing great job in this post. If you leave a comment, he will help you in pointing out your errors as well. Do this activity daily and you find your reading improved, gradually.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/most-importa ... 79954.html

On top solve 2 questions daily from every section butler project will keep you in touch. Remember reading is an exercise for brain. feed it more and you will start seeing result in time.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Posts: 157
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V36
Re: Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. T  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 06:28
felippemed wrote:
Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. The number of employees with the qualifications Vebrol Will require for promotion to department head is equal to only half the expected vacancies. Vebrol is not going to hire department heads from outside the company, have current department heads take over more than one department, or reduce the number of its departments. So some departments Will be without department heads next year, since Vebrol Will not__________________________

A) promote more than one employee from any department to serve as heads of departments
B) promote any current department heads to higher-level managerial positions
C) have any managers Who are currently senior to department heads serve as department heads
D) reduce the responsibilities of each department
E) reduce the average number of employees per department



HI

Can someone please explain why option A cant be the answer to this question.
If from every department more than 1 employee serve as heads of departments(1 employee= many heads), then isn't this a valid option?
If the company did this action, then there will be no vacancies.

VeritasKarishma
VeritasPrepBrian
chetan2u
MartyTargetTestPrep
nightblade354
Gladiator59

Regards
Nitesh
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 661
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Re: Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. T  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 07:13
nitesh50,

(A) is not our answer because it doesn't tell us anything. We are only told that there are employees who can be promoted. What if they are all from the same department because they all have MBAs from Harvard and are great at their jobs? Just because more than one is promoted does not help our conclusion because it doesn't grow/shrink our pool of candidates. I believe you made the assumption that if the VP is promoted, his AVP can't be promoted to that same level; or maybe you didn't account for the fact that a department can have more than one VP. Either way, do not make assumptions! Use what the author gave you to use. (C) perfectly explains that the pool will not increase, and thus strengthens our conclusion that some departments will go without leaders.
_________________
D-Day: November 18th, 2017

My CR Guide: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mod-nightblade-s-quick-guide-to-proficiency-cr-295316.html

Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-moderators-directory-253455.html

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

Need a CR tutor? PM me!
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Posts: 157
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V36
Re: Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. T  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 07:18
nightblade354 wrote:
nitesh50,

(A) is not our answer because it doesn't tell us anything. We are only told that there are employees who can be promoted. What if they are all from the same department because they all have MBAs from Harvard and are great at their jobs? Just because more than one is promoted does not help our conclusion because it doesn't grow/shrink our pool of candidates. I believe you made the assumption that if the VP is promoted, his AVP can't be promoted to that same level; or maybe you didn't account for the fact that a department can have more than one VP. Either way, do not make assumptions! Use what the author gave you to use. (C) perfectly explains that the pool will not increase, and thus strengthens our conclusion that some departments will go without leaders.



Hi nightblade354

that if the VP is promoted, his AVP can't be promoted to that same level; or maybe you didn't account for the fact that a department can have more than one VP. Either way, do not make assumptions! Use what the author gave you to use. (C) perfectly explains that the pool will not increase, and thus strengthens our conclusion that some departments will go without leaders.

I dont understand the initial you have mentioned. Can you please define them. VP AVP.
Sorry for the inconvenience

Regards
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 661
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Re: Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. T  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 07:29
nitesh50,

VP = Vice President and AVP = Associate Vice President; one is higher than the other. My point was that maybe you assumed that two cannot be promoted if one is below the other in position during the promotional period.
_________________
D-Day: November 18th, 2017

My CR Guide: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mod-nightblade-s-quick-guide-to-proficiency-cr-295316.html

Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-moderators-directory-253455.html

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

Need a CR tutor? PM me!
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Posts: 157
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V36
Re: Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. T  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 07:42
nightblade354 wrote:
nitesh50,

VP = Vice President and AVP = Associate Vice President; one is higher than the other. My point was that maybe you assumed that two cannot be promoted if one is below the other in position during the promotional period.


Hi nightblade354

I do understand your point.
But IMO i am not making any assumptions.
Statment is Company will not promote more than one employee to be HEADS OF DEPARTMENT.

Let us say that the company does this. If this is a valid strengthner, then Department heads will not have vacancies.

If company promotes employees from one department to be HEADS OF OTHER DEPARTMENT, then in this case there may be no vacancies.

Am I clear in conveying my doubt?

Regards
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 661
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. T  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 07:49
1
nitesh50,

Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year.
The number of employees with the qualifications Vebrol Will require for promotion to department head is equal to only half the expected vacancies.
Vebrol is not going to hire department heads from outside the company, have current department heads take over more than one department, or reduce the number of its departments.
So some departments Will be without department heads next year, since Vebrol Will not__________________________

We cannot say that the first part in blue is incorrect; and we cannot ignore this statement. We are given a finite set of circumstances, and that leads us to our conclusion. We are told that if there are 10 openings, only 5 people are qualified. There are other conclusions that can fill the gap, but (C) is where they went. When you pair (A) with the part in blue, I hope you see that (A) doesn't matter and is completely useless.
_________________
D-Day: November 18th, 2017

My CR Guide: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mod-nightblade-s-quick-guide-to-proficiency-cr-295316.html

Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-moderators-directory-253455.html

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

Need a CR tutor? PM me!
Veritas Prep Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 414
Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. T  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 09:18
1
Top Contributor
nitesh50 wrote:
felippemed wrote:
Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. The number of employees with the qualifications Vebrol Will require for promotion to department head is equal to only half the expected vacancies. Vebrol is not going to hire department heads from outside the company, have current department heads take over more than one department, or reduce the number of its departments. So some departments Will be without department heads next year, since Vebrol Will not__________________________

A) promote more than one employee from any department to serve as heads of departments
B) promote any current department heads to higher-level managerial positions
C) have any managers Who are currently senior to department heads serve as department heads
D) reduce the responsibilities of each department
E) reduce the average number of employees per department



HI

Can someone please explain why option A cant be the answer to this question.
If from every department more than 1 employee serve as heads of departments(1 employee= many heads), then isn't this a valid option?
If the company did this action, then there will be no vacancies.

VeritasKarishma
VeritasPrepBrian
chetan2u
MartyTargetTestPrep
nightblade354
Gladiator59

Regards
Nitesh


Good question - and I'd say that this sentence from the stimulus is what renders (A) useless (like nightblade mentioned, it doesn't tell us anything new):

The number of employees with the qualifications Vebrol Will require for promotion to department head is equal to only half the expected vacancies.

We already know that the company cannot promote enough employees to fill the vacancies. All that (A) does is divide that already-insufficient number of eligible promotions into different departments. But whether we can promote 1 person or 20 people from Accounting and 1 person or 50 people from Engineering doesn't matter because that sentence above already tells us that the total number of people who could be promoted to fill the open roles is insufficient. So (A) doesn't matter.

One other note on this question that's pretty cool - I love this one as an example of misdirection. Everyone studying for the GMAT is doing so because they want to grow in their roles and climb to higher levels of the corporate ladder. So what does the right answer involve? The possibility of people being demoted to lower levels...because of course our minds are primed to not think of that immediately. That sentence I mentioned above, though, explicitly states that promotions aren't sufficient, and we're also told that hiring from outside the company isn't an option. So the only other way to fill that level is through demotions...it's just not where our minds will naturally go, and that's a device the GMAT can use to make questions harder - the right answer is something you'd never think to predict.
_________________
Brian

Curriculum Developer, Instructor, and Host of Veritas Prep On Demand

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 27 Nov 2018
Posts: 78
Re: Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. T  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 12:34
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. T   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2019, 12:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Many of Vebrol Corporation's department heads Will retire this year. T

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne