GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 May 2018, 07:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A large number of wempro corporation's department heads will retire...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
A large number of wempro corporation's department heads will retire... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 08:04
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:02) correct 31% (00:59) wrong based on 401 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Which of the following provides the most logical completion of the argument?

A large number of wempro corporation's department heads will retire this year. The number of employees with the qualifications now required for promotion to department head equals only half the expected vacancies. Wempro is not going to hire department heads from outside the company, have current department heads take over more than one department, or reduce the number of its departments. So some departments will be without department heads next year, since Wempro will not______.

a) reduce the qualifications for promotion to department head
b) reduce the average number of employees per department
c) reduce the responsibilities of each department
d) promote more than one employee from any department to serve as heads of departments
e) promote any current department heads to higher-level managerial positions
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Economics, International Business
Schools: ISB '19, Fox"19
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 10:06
A

B reducing employees won't help..coz number of employees qualified enough to serve as Dept head is half the number required..and the the corporation is my ready to compromise with the qualification.so incorrect
C stated in the argument that the corporation would not decrease the leads
D even this is mentioned in the argument
E irrelevant.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.11
Reviews Badge
Re: A large number of wempro corporation's department heads will retire... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2017, 02:42
A if the qualification is not reduced then the number of people to be promoted will be less. So less number of heads. Correct
B reducing employees dosent serve the purpose.so incorrect
C Already given
D Already given
E irrelevant.

Answer A

Today's actions are tomorrow's results

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.31
Re: A large number of wempro corporation's department heads will retire... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2017, 11:26
A large number of wempro corporation's department heads will retire this year. The number of employees with the qualifications now required for promotion to department head equals only half the expected vacancies. Wempro is not going to hire department heads from outside the company, have current department heads take over more than one department, or reduce the number of its departments. So some departments will be without department heads next year, since Wempro will not______.

Correct.

the company won't allow as mentioned in the passage-
'have current department heads take over more than one department'
no mention.
d) promote more than one employee from any department to serve as heads of departments
the company won't allow as mentioned in the passage.
irrelevant.

In case you find my posts helpful, give me Kudos. Thank you.

Intern
Intern
B
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 21:09
Argument has already stated the conditions for the qualification required to be the Head of the Department.

A. This gives the correct reason as to why some departments will be without department heads
B. Even if the average no of employees are reduced, the number of employees qualified for head are half of expected vacancies.
C. Irrelevant.
D. This is already stated in the conditions that no head will serve more than one department.
E. Does not make sense here.

Kudos if it helps :-)
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2017, 04:12
I am confused about option D. How is option D already mentioned in the passage? The passage says that no head will serve more than one department whereas option D says that company won't promote more than one employee from any department to serve as heads of departments.

Both these sentences have totally different meanings I think....

Any help here ?
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 01:39
This post received
KUDOS

a) reduce the qualifications for promotion to department head --Correct
b) reduce the average number of employees per department --Doesn't impact the number of department heads
c) reduce the responsibilities of each department --Responsibilities? out of scope
d) promote more than one employee from any department to serve as heads of departments --Even if Wempro would promote more than 1 employee from single department the number of eligible candidates is less than the number of departments
e) promote any current department heads to higher-level managerial positions --We are talking about departments whose head will retire.

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 18:48
wwzjon19 wrote:

Hi I got it wrong initially .I chose D .However D can not be the answer as it is already stated in the passage that an employee ca not head more than one department .
So only B is the valid answer as if the company reduces the qualifications for employees then there will more people applying and more selected .But this is not the case as they will not reduce the qualification and thus there will be many departments without heads.

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Re: A large number of wempro corporation's department heads will retire...   [#permalink] 15 Mar 2018, 18:48

A large number of wempro corporation's department heads will retire...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap