GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 04:43

ISB R1 results on Nov 15:

Join Chat Room for Live Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

Maria Bonaparte put up the ransom that the Nazis insisted on if Freud

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Maria Bonaparte put up the ransom that the Nazis insisted on if Freud  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Jul 2018, 18:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

21% (01:08) correct 79% (01:04) wrong based on 1235 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Maria Bonaparte put up the ransom that the Nazis insisted on if Freud was to be allowed to leave Vienna.

(A) if Freud was to be allowed
(B) if Freud were allowed
(C) should Freud be allowed
(D) if they will allow Freud
(E) should allowance be made for Freud

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/02/06/books/an-unlikely-analyst.html

Marie Bonaparte's money supported the psychoanalytic movement in a variety of ways. She bailed out the Psychoanalytic Publishing House on several occasions, purchased Freud's correspondence with the Berlin physician Wilhelm Fliess (which she refused to let Freud have in case he destroyed it) and put up the ransom the Nazis demanded when Freud finally agreed to leave Vienna.

Originally posted by YHP on 14 Aug 2007, 21:05.
Last edited by hazelnut on 23 Jul 2018, 18:18, edited 2 times in total.
Formatted the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: Maria Bonaparte put up the ransom that the Nazis insisted on if Freud  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2012, 11:51
Hi, there. I'm happy to give my 2¢ on this issue. :)

This is a very tricky use of the subjunctive.

... if Freud was to be allowed to leave Vienna.

This has the verb "was" in the ordinary past tense. It was factual and determined: Freud was going to be allowed leave Vienna --- as long as somebody greased some Nazi palms, then there was absolutely no doubt about this possibility.

... if Freud were to be allowed to leave Vienna.

This has the verb "were" in the subjunctive, which in an "if" clause suggests a situation contrary to fact. This would say that, in fact, Freud was not going to be allowed to leave Vienna, that it was not a realistic possibility, but we could imagine some other, hypothetical set of circumstances in which that would be a possibility.

The relationship here calls for the factual statement. When Maria Bonaparte put up the money, there was no doubt in anyone's mind that Freud would be allowed to go. Yes, it was a shady deal, but nonetheless as cause-and-effect factual as going to the store to buy groceries.

After I pay for my groceries, I take them home. Factual and clear.

After I pay for my groceries, I would take them home. That's a strange incomplete thought, because it implies that for some reason I can't take the groceries home, and we are left wondering: why can't he take them home?

That's why (B) is wrong. Does this make sense? Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
GPA: 4
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Re: Maria Bonaparte put up the ransom that the Nazis insisted on if Freud  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2013, 22:10
eybrj2 wrote:
Maria Bonaparte put up the ransom that the Nazis insisted on if Freud was to be allowed to leave Vienna.

a)

b) if Freud were allowed

c) should Freud be allowed

d) if they will allow Freud

e) should allowance be made for Freud

What's wrong with b?

The OA not provided can anyone please provide the OA with OE.

would be thankful

:banana

Thanks for Posting

LEARN TO ANALYSE

+1 kudos if you like

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2013, 11:48
rango wrote:
The OA not provided can anyone please provide the OA with OE.

would be thankful

Dear Rango,
I'm happy to respond. The OA is (A), as indicated at the top. Here is a full explanation. First of all, the question stem again.

(A) if Freud was to be allowed
This choice has no grammatical flaw. It is concise and perfectly correct. This is a promising choice.

(B) if Freud were allowed
(C) should Freud be allowed
Both of these are in the subjunctive, so they are hypothetical. Nothing about this historical event and situation was hypothetical. See
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... ive-tense/
In this situation, the Nazis said: give us the money, and Freud can leave. Very factual. The hypothetical language of these two choices is completely inappropriate, and it changes the meaning from the prompt. Both of these are incorrect.

(D) if they will allow Freud
We are talking about an event more than half a century in the past, so the future verb tense, "will allow", is completely wrong here.

(E) should allowance be made for Freud
If we ran a contest for the longest, most indirect, and most awkward way to rephrase the underlined portion, this choice might be the winner of that contest. There is absolutely no way this could be the correct answer.

The only possible answer is (A).

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2015, 04:00

A. if Freud was to be allowed

B. if Freud were allowed...........I selected this one thinking it to be a subjunctive.

C. should Freud be allowed............should usage is wrong.

D. if they will allow Freud.............they refer to Nazis here and will allow future tense is incorrect here.

E. should allowance be made for Freud....................should usage is wrong in subjunctive and whole sentence construction is ambiguous.

refer mcgarry explanation in below link
maria-bonaparte-put-up-the-ransom-that-the-nazis-insisted-on-128473.html
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2015, 15:06
according to the subjunctive verb usage I chose B as an option. What did I do wrong ? can someone explain ?
Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2015, 21:41
vartak1985 wrote:
according to the subjunctive verb usage I chose B as an option. What did I do wrong ? can someone explain ?

Even I did the same mistake. Actually there is no need of subjunctive verb here.
B is useful in case if there is any hypothetical situation.

but

Nazis insisted on that Maria Bonaparte pay the ransom if Freud was to be allowed to leave Vienna.

This was a clear condition. Pay the money and let Freud go.
There is no hypothetical situation where you can use subjunctive verb here.

I hope this helps. :)
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2016, 11:39
We cannot use the subjunctive ‘were’ here because allowing Freud to leave is not a wish, an impossible task or even a fancy. Therefore, we are required to use the indicative mood of ‘was’. B is, therefore, unsuitable in this context. A is the correct answer.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 00:44

A. if Freud was to be allowed - Correct
B. if Freud were allowed - uses subjunctive incorrectly. For if .... ,then statements, we need a conditional verb for the consequence of the hypothetical. But this event is factual .
C. should Freud be allowed - the use of "should" to mean "if" is incorrect
D. if they will allow Freud - usage of will is incorrect since the event has already occurred
E. should allowance be made for Freud - awkward
Answer A

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2018, 16:09
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Maria Bonaparte put up the ransom that the Nazis insisted on if Freud &nbs [#permalink] 11 Sep 2018, 16:09

Maria Bonaparte put up the ransom that the Nazis insisted on if Freud

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap