Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you for your input. I just had one more question. Well, I spoke with the admissions advisor at USC, and she mentioned that the average GMAT is 647, and the avg GPA is 3.43. The school admits people on a rolling admissions basis. Would you recommend I apply with my current GMAT score and try to apply early, or should I retake the GMAT and try to score a few points higher and apply later?

The admissions advisor said that the later I applied, the fewer spots would be open and the more stringent they would be on deciding which people take the few spots still available. So she said if the academic side of my application is not as high, I should focus more on other parts of my application such as work experience. BUT she also said that since work experience is not required for applying to the masters program, they tend to look more at the GMAT and GPA.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sorry, one more thing. The admissions advisor also mentioned that it also depends on the group of applicants I am up against at the time I turn in my application. So my competition is whoever turns in their applications at the same time as me.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
squigglylines wrote:
Thank you for your input. I just had one more question. Well, I spoke with the admissions advisor at USC, and she mentioned that the average GMAT is 647, and the avg GPA is 3.43. The school admits people on a rolling admissions basis. Would you recommend I apply with my current GMAT score and try to apply early, or should I retake the GMAT and try to score a few points higher and apply later?

The admissions advisor said that the later I applied, the fewer spots would be open and the more stringent they would be on deciding which people take the few spots still available. So she said if the academic side of my application is not as high, I should focus more on other parts of my application such as work experience. BUT she also said that since work experience is not required for applying to the masters program, they tend to look more at the GMAT and GPA.

squigglylines,

I think you should apply now with the GMAT score you have now. I recommend that you take their advice about focusing on other parts of the application. If there are good extenuating circumstances for your GPA and/or if your GPA in your accounting-related courses was good, you may want to devote an optional essay to addressing both these areas to help put your GPA in a more favorable context.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

I'm almost in the same boat as squiggly but with a lower gmat score and a higher gpa.

Minority Student
1 Year of work experience in consumer products industry.
GMAT: 580
GPA: 3.71 Finance from the University of Florida (cum laude)

Micro,Macroeconomics, and intro to financial accounting I have received a grade of an A

I was wondering what my chances are at UT, UNC, and USC. Does my GMAT absolutely kill my chances? I'm currently scheduled to take the GMAT again on the 24 of Feburary. Is that too late? How do deadlines work, must they have my final gmat score by the deadline?

Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
neueziel wrote:
Hi,

I'm almost in the same boat as squiggly but with a lower gmat score and a higher gpa.

Minority Student
1 Year of work experience in consumer products industry.
GMAT: 580
GPA: 3.71 Finance from the University of Florida (cum laude)

Micro,Macroeconomics, and intro to financial accounting I have received a grade of an A

I was wondering what my chances are at UT, UNC, and USC. Does my GMAT absolutely kill my chances? I'm currently scheduled to take the GMAT again on the 24 of Feburary. Is that too late? How do deadlines work, must they have my final gmat score by the deadline?

Thanks!

Neueziel,

If you are an underrepresented minority you may have a small chance with your current GMAT but it would be a longshot. Whether a GMAT score reported after the deadline will be considered is a school-by-school thing. Check those schools' FAQs to find out whether February 24 is too late.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Paul,

So, I have another dilemma. One out of my three recommenders wrote a mediocre recommendation. I got to read them because he had sent me some of my letters without envelopes, and for USC, he submitted it online. The recommendation is positive, but it is very short and does not say much about me. How badly do you think this will affect my admissions if my other two recommendations are a lot better?

Thanks,
squigglylines
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
squigglylines wrote:
Hi Paul,

So, I have another dilemma. One out of my three recommenders wrote a mediocre recommendation. I got to read them because he had sent me some of my letters without envelopes, and for USC, he submitted it online. The recommendation is positive, but it is very short and does not say much about me. How badly do you think this will affect my admissions if my other two recommendations are a lot better?

Thanks,
squigglylines

Minor negative impact. Not likely to be deal-breaker, but obviously doesn't help you.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]