GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 17:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MBA/Masters admission prospects without a job for 2 months

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
MBA/Masters admission prospects without a job for 2 months  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2019, 10:47
Hello,

I'm a finance professional (Have worked in renowned investment management firms) with close to 4.5 years of work ex. I'm planning to quit my job in Nov as my current job/work hours don't leave me with enough time to prepare for GRE. The second round deadline for most universities is first week of Jan - So practically I won't have a full time job for 2 months (Nov - Jan). How will this impact my admission chances? Please urgently advise.

Thank you!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: MBA/Masters admission prospects without a job for 2 months  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2019, 21:21
Hi Au15,

You're ultimately asking an Admission question, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Have you done any study yet for the GRE yet (such as taking a full-length practice GRE)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2019, 13:11
Thanks Rich! I'll direct my question to the admission experts.
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2019, 20:22
Hi Au15,

I agree that since you are asking an admissions-based question, you should reach out to one of the many admissions consultants here on GMAT Club.

Regarding your GRE, do you need any advice on your study plan?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

VP
VP
G
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2019, 02:59
Au15, you should explain gaps in employment that are two months or longer using an optional essay or on their data forms. As the adcom will simply want to know what an applicant was doing during a period of unemployment, applicants should show that they made productive use of this time.
Candidates applying to business schools who are not currently employed are in a trickier situation, as business schools view themselves as career accelerators rather than career jump-starters but it's not impossible. You should not present unemployment as the reason for applying to school or you should not suggest that you are not presently looking for work due to the need to devote time to their MBA applications which may be a major red flag.

m:+91 9164157770
w: https://www.genedmba.com/
e: info@genedmba.com
INSEAD School Moderator
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2019, 00:01
Au15

You are going to be shooting yourself in the foot applying to Business Schools without a job. They don't want to have to explain to recruiters why you have a gap on your resume and it's just going to be something that will make you less marketable and a red flag to them. Sorry for the bad news but this is the fact, I would hate for you to lose your source of income and also weaken your chances of admit.

For their rankings and all of that they need to make sure that you will have an easy time of getting an internship at a full-time job. I think I read that you were in New York? you might consider doing the EA and applying to Columbia and Stern. It is kind of like a GMAT light.

If that isn't a possibility then I would honestly just focus on round 1 for next cycle and approach the test in a more gradual way. People that I have worked with on GMAT prep who have crazy work hours make terrific progress by getting up 1 hour earlier each day, rather than trying to make something big happen at the end of the day when you are completely spent. It's amazing how much you can honestly get done if you're just repping it out everyday with a focused objective.

It would also be a good idea to take the highway by getting a tutor and anything else that might accelerate your progress.

At this point you should really have your test score settled and should be putting your full focus on applications anyways in order to be competitive. With a moderate work schedule you should really have at least two months set aside to do the best job possible on that, considering where you are with introspection and resume updates.

Another year of work experience will not be devastating as long as it adds value. If you feel like it's not possible for you to prepare for a test and handle the lengthy application process in your current job you might want to first turn your attention to finding a job where your hours are going to be a bit more reasonable but that job will still be a job that is moving in the direction of your post-mba goal.

Hope this helps!

Au15 wrote:
Hello,

I'm a finance professional (Have worked in renowned investment management firms) with close to 4.5 years of work ex. I'm planning to quit my job in Nov as my current job/work hours don't leave me with enough time to prepare for GRE. The second round deadline for most universities is first week of Jan - So practically I won't have a full time job for 2 months (Nov - Jan). How will this impact my admission chances? Please urgently advise.

Thank you!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2019, 20:18
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts on this. I most definitely plan to take up a full time job after taking the GRE in Dec. If I study and take the exam for a professional certification like the PMP or CAPM, will that be good enough to explain the 2 months gap?

Thanks!
AU
GMAT Club Bot
Re: MBA/Masters admission prospects without a job for 2 months   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2019, 20:18

MBA/Masters admission prospects without a job for 2 months

new topic post reply Update application status