It is currently 17 Nov 2017, 10:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA relevance after 2030

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Operations, Statistics
GMAT 1: 560 Q38 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
MBA relevance after 2030 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 21:18
Dears,

A small question...what will be relevance of MBA degree in operations mgmt after 2030.

I was well motivated to study GMAT last year but after reading many articles on AI, automation and other technological advances, I am in dilemma about relevance of positions such as energy consultant, strategy consulting, operations manager, supply chain management and business development manager after 2025, 2030 and beyond. My profile is: 9+ years experience in oil&gas/thermal power sector.

As technology is advancing so fast, I know it is hard to predict. I even went through Deloitte's and PwC presentation about work force 2030. These presentations ask one common question to think on "how we can be part of future automated world".

Please let me know your thoughts on this topic.

Sent from my SM-J700F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: PMI, APICS

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 23:12
I don't think you can automate consultant or analyst roles. I have a similar profile as that of yours and I am starting my MBA come January. I have worked in the Petrochemicals industry in different capacities for over 9 yrs (not including an 1 year stint in IT). You can automate the operations process and this is true more than anywhere else in the O&G or Chemicals industry. But how can one improve the supply chain or operations efficiency without applying the human mind? AI hasn't evolved to that level and 2030 is a long time from now to predict how much would AI evolve(and even if it does evolve to that level, it will make a more prosperous society....or become Skynet. either way jobs won't be the biggest concern at that point). Automation and AI are different. Automation is something that affects blue-collar professions. I think your concerns are totally misplaced.

Edit: Just wanted to add, if anything, a post-MBA career is more insulated from automation than the role of, say an operations engineer. If you are concerned about your relevance in the job-market do an MBA.

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Operations, Statistics
GMAT 1: 560 Q38 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
Re: MBA relevance after 2030 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 23:55
alphavictor86 wrote:
I don't think you can automate consultant or analyst roles. I have a similar profile as that of yours and I am starting my MBA come January. I have worked in the Petrochemicals industry in different capacities for over 9 yrs (not including an 1 year stint in IT). You can automate the operations process and this is true more than anywhere else in the O&G or Chemicals industry. But how can one improve the supply chain or operations efficiency without applying the human mind? AI hasn't evolved to that level and 2030 is a long time from now to predict how much would AI evolve(and even if it does evolve to that level, it will make a more prosperous society....or become Skynet. either way jobs won't be the biggest concern at that point). Automation and AI are different. Automation is something that affects blue-collar professions. I think your concerns are totally misplaced.

Edit: Just wanted to add, if anything, a post-MBA career is more insulated from automation than the role of, say an operations engineer. If you are concerned about your relevance in the job-market do an MBA.

Thanks for your opinion! I will also like to share an article on how blue collar jobs are geting affected.
https://futurism.com/new-chart-proves-a ... us-threat/

Sent from my SM-J700F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: PMI, APICS

Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 05:47
Thank you for the article. Everything mentioned there only reinforces the contention that it is the blue-collar and the technical employees who will be affected the most. I see an impending downsizing in my own industry and company, albeit for a different reason and not entirely because of automation. Falling oil prices is contributing a lot too (I'd say that is the primary factor). OTOH, automation hasn't been that big in India yet. When I was working in India 6 yrs ago, capex and labor laws were the primary factors that impeded the introduction of automation. From what I see in discussion with my former coworkers, it still remains the same (although I don't know how big players like Reliance are looking at it, govt. behemoths like ONGC won't automate anytime soon, lest they face the wrath of the unions).

MBA relevance after 2030   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2017, 05:47

MBA relevance after 2030

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap