Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:46 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: MBA schools for someone with engineering background [#permalink]
Expert Reply
A number of programs (esp the 2-year ones) offer quite a few electives in your second year where you can focus on really ANYTHING. There is a tendency to have strategy, marketing, and finance as the core courses but that's becuase those elements are present in every business.... engineering and entrepreneurship are not. Most bschools will have a business pan course/competition. As to technology specifically, there is a variety of courses as well as you can't avoid technology :-)

P.S. For the technology and entrepreneurship, is MBA really the best way for you to go? It seems to make little sense to take on $100K of debt (or expense if you have the money) right before starting a business. Usually MBA is not the best (usually is the keyword) recommendation for those wanting to start a business. I am sure you are looking at that and the school network can be very helpful (a number of schools have incubators/help for startups such as Booth) but you need to research that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
A number of programs (esp the 2-year ones) offer quite a few electives in your second year where you can focus on really ANYTHING. There is a tendency to have strategy, marketing, and finance as the core courses but that's because those elements are present in every business.... engineering and entrepreneurship are not. Most bschools will have a business pan course/competition. As to technology specifically, there is a variety of courses as well as you can't avoid technology :-)

P.S. For the technology and entrepreneurship, is MBA really the best way for you to go? It seems to make little sense to take on $100K of debt (or expense if you have the money) right before starting a business. Usually MBA is not the best (usually is the keyword) recommendation for those wanting to start a business. I am sure you are looking at that and the school network can be very helpful (a number of schools have incubators/help for startups such as Booth) but you need to research that.

Well, what you mentioned about the 2 years program is quite true. The cost is definitely exorbitant but my idea of an MBA is to give me the finance, marketing and business courses exposure. (while not going too deep at the same time)

A little bit to share about myself at the moment: I'm with new product development and i find my current industry is a little stagnant and it is not my real passion. I'm still ok with product development though. To honest, i can't even see myself in the same job for another year and i seem to be losing direction. This is the time where i though pursuing MBA would be a good choice to expose myself more towards a complete picture of a start up. Over the last few years, start-ups have been my interest if it's related to my passion. I don't mind working hard for it but i can't see the same future working for a big organization/corporate lifestyle. Feel free to feedback. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I am also in the same sitaution with a computer science degree and working in IT for last 3 yrs.But i want to pursue my career in IT.Could some one please list down some top b schools in US for MIS?Fees is also a constraint for me so a less expensive school is best for me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi All!

I am a student at Yale Law School and the co-founder of an admissions counseling company, inGenius Prep (www.ingeniusprep.com), which helps students build their candidacy and perfect their applications for competitive business schools.

Our students have the opportunity to work one-on-one with expert admissions counselors. Our team includes former admissions officers from the top business schools in the country, including: Harvard, Stanford, UPenn, and more.

If you're thinking of applying to business school, and would like to learn more about us, you can check out our website (www.ingeniusprep.com), or shoot me an email at info@ingeniusprep.com.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts