GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Mar 2019, 23:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

McCombs, Rice, Fuqua, Cornell - 700 GMAT, 7.5 years experience

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
McCombs, Rice, Fuqua, Cornell - 700 GMAT, 7.5 years experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2019, 20:11
Hi All

I have a couple of questions and will really appreciate your feedback

Q1. Is my profile good enough ?

I recently gave GMAT and scored 700 (Quant 47 and Verbal 39). I have a bachelor of science degree in Chemical Engineering (graduated in first division with distinction) and a Master of science degree in Petroleum Engineering from Texas A&M Univ. (College Station) (GPA - 3.5). I worked in Evalueserve for 1.5 years in intellectual property rights consulting, worked for Schlumberger in multiple roles for about 5.5 years (field engineer + technical consulting) and I am currently working for Marathon Oil Corp. in Houston as a reservoir engineer.

I have performed fairly well in the schools in past and have won multiple awards. I have also published about 13 technical papers and have more than 150 citations. I want to pursue an MBA with the goal of gaining knowledge of finance in particular, and maybe make a career in energy investment banking, consulting or continue in mainstream oil and gas business.

Q2. Should I apply in round 3 (2019) or round 1 (2020) ?

Is it ok to apply in round 3, or the chances of getting in will be better if I wait and apply in round 1 next year

Regards
KG
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: McCombs, Rice, Fuqua, Cornell - 700 GMAT, 7.5 years experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 17:54
There are definitely pros & cons to applying now vs. waiting until R1. Here are some thoughts on that as well as on the strength of your candidacy...

The fact that you're coming from a technical background can present some challenges in your candidacy. You need to convince them that you're up for the rigors of b-school and will be ready to contribute to class discussion in a meaningful way. It will be important to illustrate the business skills you have used in your career via some strong examples that ideally have quantifiable results. On the flip side, I think you CAN also use your non-traditional background to differentiate yourself & you are on the right path in planning on some career goals that leverage the technical foundation you've built.

If possible, I'd try to improve your GMAT to a 720+ -- the higher the better. A 700 is a solid score but if you want to apply to top 20 schools you'll ideally want a minimum of 720, especially since you are coming from a non-traditional background. A GMAT will be a strong factor in convincing them that you are up for the rigors of b-school.

In terms of when to apply -- applying R3 is generally tougher since there are just fewer spots left so that's one reason to wait until R1. I'm assuming you're a US applicant. If you are an international applicant I'd definitely wait & apply R1 since most schools discourage international applicants from applying R3 due to visa issues. Another good reason to wait would be to give yourself time to improve your GMAT score, since that can make a difference in the strength of your candidacy.

That said, you are already above the average years of work experience for b-school (which tends to be 3-5 years) so that would be one reason to go ahead & apply now rather than wait.

One option would be to apply to 1-2 schools now & then reapply in R1 to those (along with submitting applications to some new schools) if you don't get in. It can be tough to show what's changed as a reapplicant when you just applied so recently but again a higher GMAT score would be one thing you could point to -- along with any additional efforts you could make to continue connecting with the school & strengthening your "why our school" argument.

I hope that helps! Definitely reach out to us if you'd like to talk through the decision (and tips on how to shape your story & improve your candidacy) with one of our MBA Consultants. Claudia can set you up with a free consultation! You can reach her at claudia@admissionado.com

Either way good luck to you!

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

McCombs, Rice, Fuqua, Cornell - 700 GMAT, 7.5 years experience

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Admissionado

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap