GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 May 2019, 20:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MGMAT

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Posts: 125
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.78
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
MGMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2010, 14:52
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

64% (01:39) correct 36% (01:35) wrong based on 75 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

During the practice test I ran into the question. I disagree with the answer choice. What is your thoughts?

Company Spokesperson: This year, more than 70% of the guests who stayed with us over the past summer are planning to return to our resorts for a summer vacation. Therefore, I believe that we are well-positioned for another strong and profitable quarter.

Industry Analyst: This is not necessarily true. Nearly three quarters of the company’s profits come from the attendance of its theme parks located at its major resorts, and it is not certain how this segment will perform this summer.
Which of the following statements, if true, would support the criticism of the Industry Analyst?

A. The company’s management possesses more accurate financial information than is accessible to industry analysts.
B. The industry analyst represents an independent investment firm, which is not affiliated with the company.
C. The company’s revenues and profits have more than doubled over the past 3 years.
D. Because of the seasonality in the vacation travel and theme park attendance, summer is the most important season for the firm’s operations, accounting for over half of the firm's annual profits.
E. The vast majority of guests who visit the company’s resorts attend its theme parks only once, usually during their first week of stay.

--== Message from the GMAT Club Team ==--

THERE IS LIKELY A BETTER DISCUSSION OF THIS EXACT QUESTION.
This discussion does not meet community quality standards. It has been retired.


If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Posts: 24
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Re: MGMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2010, 15:39
IMO E.

OA?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 995
Re: MGMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2010, 07:49
1
my pick is (E) too.

Company Spokesperson: This year, more than 70% of the guests who stayed with us over the past summer are planning to return to our resorts for a summer vacation. Therefore, I believe that we are well-positioned for another strong and profitable quarter.

Industry Analyst: This is not necessarily true. Nearly three quarters of the company’s profits come from the attendance of its theme parks located at its major resorts, and it is not certain how this segment will perform this summer.
Which of the following statements, if true, would support the criticism of the Industry Analyst?

A. The company’s management possesses more accurate financial information than is accessible to industry analysts.
B. The industry analyst represents an independent investment firm, which is not affiliated with the company.
C. The company’s revenues and profits have more than doubled over the past 3 years.
D. Because of the seasonality in the vacation travel and theme park attendance, summer is the most important season for the firm’s operations, accounting for over half of the firm's annual profits.
E. The vast majority of guests who visit the company’s resorts attend its theme parks only once, usually during their first week of stay.
During the practice test I ran into the question. I disagree with the answer choice. What is your thoughts?

Company Spokesperson: This year, more than 70% of the guests who stayed with us over the past summer are planning to return to our resorts for a summer vacation. Therefore, I believe that we are well-positioned for another strong and profitable quarter.

Industry Analyst: This is not necessarily true. Nearly three quarters of the company’s profits come from the attendance of its theme parks located at its major resorts, and it is not certain how this segment will perform this summer.

Which of the following statements, if true, would support the criticism of the Industry Analyst?

A. The company’s management possesses more accurate financial information than is accessible to industry analysts.
>>> this goes against Industry Analyst
B. The industry analyst represents an independent investment firm, which is not affiliated with the company.
>>> i was leaning towards this option but when compared with E, this option appears weak to me
C. The company’s revenues and profits have more than doubled over the past 3 years.
>>> makes no sense
D. Because of the seasonality in the vacation travel and theme park attendance, summer is the most important season for the firm’s operations, accounting for over half of the firm's annual profits.
>>> makes no sense
E. The vast majority of guests who visit the company’s resorts attend its theme parks only once, usually during their first week of stay.
>>> 75% of company's profits come from theme parks and since the guests who visit the resort attend the theme park only once during their first week of stay, that means the guests who are returning to the resort must have alread visited the theme park and will not go there again. Hence lowering the profits which is in line with Industry Analyst's criticism.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Posts: 23
Re: MGMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2010, 08:19
E for me as well . pls post OA.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Posts: 125
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.78
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Re: MGMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2010, 09:20
uglynakedguy wrote:
E for me as well . pls post OA.


The OA is E. I have a problem with a statement E as it does not specify weather the customers attend the theme park during their first week of stay only the first time at the resort or do they attend a theme park first week of stay every time they come to the resort.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2009
Posts: 219
Reviews Badge
Re: MGMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2010, 12:38
alexBLR wrote:
uglynakedguy wrote:
E for me as well . pls post OA.


The OA is E. I have a problem with a statement E as it does not specify weather the customers attend the theme park during their first week of stay only the first time at the resort or do they attend a theme park first week of stay every time they come to the resort.


E. The vast majority of guests who visit the company’s resorts attend its theme parks only once, usually during their first week of stay.
Whether they come for the first time or come on a repeat visit the answer tells us that the vast majority visit its theme parks only once.
_________________
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 333
Location: San Francisco
Re: MGMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2010, 17:55
Hey alexBLR,

Since this is one of our questions, I thought I'd weigh in. I see what you're saying, and in the end, there's no way to know for sure what's happening. However, E says the majority of people who come to the resorts only go to the parks once. Because it doesn't specify whether that's the first time or every time, we have to assume it's every time (we would only assume otherwise if it specified).

Also, don't forget the sad truth of Critical Reasoning: you're picking the best answer, not the perfect answer. A great explanation of why all the other answer choices are wrong has already been given, so refer to that for further explanation.

Hope that helps!

-t
_________________

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 295
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: MGMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2011, 20:26
Bumping this thread to get better explanation.

CS: returning customers for summer vacation-> strong and profitable quarter
IA- disagrees and points out the dependance on the fact that visitors come for theme parks

We have to choose an option supporting IA i.e. showing the importance of summer season and theme parks


D: Show the importance of summer and theme parks accounting for more than half of their profits.

E: guests attend theme park first day of the visit. Doesn't it mean than guests visit theme park first day and that theme park is not that MUCH important for rest of the their stay and they enjoy resort for the rest.


I chose D but OA is E. Can some one correct my reasoning?

--== Message from the GMAT Club Team ==--

THERE IS LIKELY A BETTER DISCUSSION OF THIS EXACT QUESTION.
This discussion does not meet community quality standards. It has been retired.


If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.

_________________
"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford
680 Debrief
600 Debrief
590 Debrief
My GMAT Journey
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 4383
Re: MGMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2019, 11:43
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: MGMAT   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2019, 11:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

MGMAT

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.