GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 18:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Michael Phelps is no less an exemplary figure in the realm

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Schools: Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
WE 3: 10
Michael Phelps is no less an exemplary figure in the realm  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2011, 08:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (00:48) correct 58% (00:58) wrong based on 1434 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Michael Phelps is no less an exemplary figure in the realm of dedication and hard work.

(A) no less an exemplary figure in
(B) nonetheless an exemplary figure in
(C) nevertheless exemplary in
(D) not less exemplary a figure than
(E) an exemplary figure not less than
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GRE 1: Q161 V163

GRE 2: Q159 V166
GPA: 3.6
WE: Editorial and Writing (Computer Software)
Premium Member
Michael Phelps is no less an exemplary figure in the realm  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2015, 16:22
feruz77 wrote:
Michael Phelps is no less an exemplary figure in the realm of dedication and hard work.

On the issue of less...than, than will only be used if Michael Phelps was being compared to another person in some realm. IMO, do not try to memorize idioms. See what the sentence is trying to say. Here, Michael (presumably a great swimmer) is not only an exemplary swimmer, but also an exemplar of dedication and hard work. BCDE are clearly out of contention because none of them mean what the sentence could correctly mean. A is the only choice that remains.

B: Nonetheless indicates a contrast...Michael is horrible...nonetheless he is...
C: Nevertheless also indicates a contrast.
D: Would be used to compare Michael to another person.
E: Wrong construction. Cannot be used to compare him to another person either.

"Hardwork is the easiest way to success." - Aviram

One more shot at the GMAT...aiming for a more balanced score.

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Re: nonetheless v. nevertheless  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2011, 12:00
There must be a mistake in the OA... what's the source?
The reason why I ask is because "less... than..." construction is more acceptable.

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2011, 10:07
The structure is "less.. than". OA is wrong.

Hung M.Tran
Faculty of Banking and Finance,
National Economics University of Vietnam

Follow me on Twitter : http://twitter.com/AndyTranHung

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2011, 23:12
The O.A. is indeed right.less ...than....do we really need comparison.if yes.what the two thing we are comparing.if we choose then we compare exemplary figure to dedication and hard work
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2011, 08:30
Quote:

I would also think the OA is incorrect. Without the 'than' portion in 'less...than', the sentence comes across incomplete. When you say 'less', there has to be a standard/benchmark by which a comparison is made against for this conclusion to be reached. So, I think it is necessary for the 'than' portion of the statement to be present.

If I were to make a guess, I would go with C. Any thoughts?

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Michael Phelps is no less an exemplary figure in the realm  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2015, 19:15
Quote:
None of these is correct - B or C have a chance it you add a modifier to the beginning to necessitate the use of a transition like "nevertheless", for example:

Despite some well-publicized brushes with drugs and alcohol, Michael Phelps is nevertheless exemplary...

But without that there isn't a rationale for using the transition, and in A "no less" needs to have a comparison attached to it. You're definitely correct that D and E create an improper comparison between Phelps and virtues.

Just because I've seen a lot of these recently, I'd urge everyone to be careful with the SC questions that you choose to practice from - for whatever reason early 2011 seems to have created a boom in the number of lackadaisically-written practice Sentence Correction questions that are now in circulation. For the sole purpose of practice with eliminating poor answer choices, I suppose it's not that bad, but be careful putting too much emphasis on from-out-of-nowhere practice questions - there are still plenty of good ones out there so I'd prioritize those.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2015, 08:40
aviram wrote:
feruz77 wrote:

On the issue of less...than, than will only be used if Michael Phelps was being compared to another person in some realm. IMO, do not try to memorize idioms. See what the sentence is trying to say. Here, Michael (presumably a great swimmer) is not only an exemplary swimmer, but also an exemplar of dedication and hard work. BCDE are clearly out of contention because none of them mean what the sentence could correctly mean. A is the only choice that remains.

B: Nonetheless indicates a contrast...Michael is horrible...nonetheless he is...
C: Nevertheless also indicates a contrast.
D: Would be used to compare Michael to another person.
E: Wrong construction. Cannot be used to compare him to another person either.

How can one presume that Michael was a great swimmer?
So you're saying contemporary knowledge about Michael is required to answer this question ?
What if Michael was replaced by X or Y in the question. Would the answer then change , pls clarify.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2015, 21:55
But I think this is not about any special knowledge about anyone in particular. All that we have to comprehend is that MP was a great man. Whoever said MP was a swimmer? He could be a poet, a president, or a priest or for that matter anybody; all that we have to realize is that he was or is a great name in his own field.

But what GMAC wants to test is how properly this fact is presented. And that is where A scores. The prompt is not comparing him with anyone else and so D and E are out and 2.MP has not achieved his name in spite of some bad factor, and hence B and C which use the ‘nevertheless’ and ‘nonetheless’ are out.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 12:02
I believe the OA to be incorrect, the construction does not read correctly without "than"

"No less than an exemplary figure"
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Michael Phelps is no less an exemplary figure in the realm &nbs [#permalink] 12 Apr 2018, 12:02

Michael Phelps is no less an exemplary figure in the realm

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap