Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1135 [7]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1146 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Maritime Financial Services
Schools:Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
 Q49  V36 GMAT 2: 720  Q48  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1135 [0]
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: microbe species---Not convinced with the answer!! [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
vjsharma25 wrote:
My doubt about C is that,Do a microbiologists needs to experiment it PERSONALLY to have the complete knowledge about any species of organism.Means can't some other microbiologist(s) do the research and publish the result to others to gain the knowledge?
Option E says "No microbiologists can have the complete knowledge of any species of organism unless that microbiologist can cultivate that species in isolation".
Why B is OOS or false. OOS is the easiest reason I have seen to avoid an option. No personal offence to you IEsailor.

Looks like you've got a good point!

The author provides a great deal of evidence about how and why individual species of microbe can't be isolated. His conclusion, based on that evidence, is that microbiologists don't fully understand those microbes. The glaring hole in the argument is the assumption that biologists can only understand things that they isolate. This leads us to (C) as the closest answer.

(B) is the right answer to the wrong question type. The first two sentences of evidence can be pieced together to logically infer that (B) must be true. However, this is an Assumption question, not an Inference question. Assumptions are unstated facts that are necessary for the conclusion to follow from the evidence. If they are true, the author's conclusion is properly drawn, but if they are proven false then the author's conclusion is undermined despite his facts being otherwise correct. (B) must be true as a consequence of his data, and (B) does not tie into his conclusion at all; for these two reasons, we can rule it out.

However, you're correct that we've made an error. The proper assumption is that no microbiologist can understand a microbe unless some microbiologists can isolate the bug. Indeed, it doesn't have to be the same one doing the isolating and the understanding. We've made a typo, and if you'll shoot me a PM with the source of the problem and a page number or problem ID number, I'll make sure it get's added to the errata sheet ASAP!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1135 [0]
Send PM
KapTeacherEli wrote:
vjsharma25 wrote:
My doubt about C is that,Do a microbiologists needs to experiment it PERSONALLY to have the complete knowledge about any species of organism.Means can't some other microbiologist(s) do the research and publish the result to others to gain the knowledge?
Option E says "No microbiologists can have the complete knowledge of any species of organism unless that microbiologist can cultivate that species in isolation".
Why B is OOS or false. OOS is the easiest reason I have seen to avoid an option. No personal offence to you IEsailor.

Looks like you've got a good point!

The author provides a great deal of evidence about how and why individual species of microbe can't be isolated. His conclusion, based on that evidence, is that microbiologists don't fully understand those microbes. The glaring hole in the argument is the assumption that biologists can only understand things that they isolate. This leads us to (C) as the closest answer.

(B) is the right answer to the wrong question type. The first two sentences of evidence can be pieced together to logically infer that (B) must be true. However, this is an Assumption question, not an Inference question. Assumptions are unstated facts that are necessary for the conclusion to follow from the evidence. If they are true, the author's conclusion is properly drawn, but if they are proven false then the author's conclusion is undermined despite his facts being otherwise correct. (B) must be true as a consequence of his data, and (B) does not tie into his conclusion at all; for these two reasons, we can rule it out.

However, you're correct that we've made an error. The proper assumption is that no microbiologist can understand a microbe unless some microbiologists can isolate the bug. Indeed, it doesn't have to be the same one doing the isolating and the understanding. We've made a typo, and if you'll shoot me a PM with the source of the problem and a page number or problem ID number, I'll make sure it get's added to the errata sheet ASAP!

Though I have also opted C first,but because of the reason explained above I didn't choose it and went for option B. I think now its clear that B can't be the answer and C also has some problem with it :) But OA is C only.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vj, thanks for the PM. I actually have to backtrack--this problem doesn't have a mistake. However, what we do have here is an illustration of why LSAT problems aren't necessarily the best practice for the GMAT!

One of the major subjects tested by the LSAT is the difference between a 'sufficient' assumption and a 'necessary' assumption. Here is an example:

If a house is far from the city and either small or poorly constructed, it will be cheap. Clearly, my house was inexpensive

Necessary assumption: my house is far from the city. This must be true for my logic to be sound: if my house is close to the city, then my premises don't connect to my final conclusion and my argument is nonsense. However that assumption isn't enough in and of itself! My house also needs to be either small or cheaply built for us to be certain.

Sufficient assumption: My house is far from the city and small. This doesn't have to be true--my house could be far from the city and poorly built. But if it is true, then that is sufficient to prove my conclusion accurate 100% of the time.

The GMAT rarely distinguishes between these two, but the LSAT often tests both ways--and what we have here is a question of the latter. The prompt asks us what "enables the conclusion to be properly drawn," or in other words, which answer choice guarantees that the evidence logically leads to the conclusion. If (C) is true, then the conclusion is true--so it's the unambiguous right answer.
Intern
Intern
Status:I laugh all day, and scrabble all night. I badazzle my clothes, so my outfits tight.
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
i chose c too cause it easily was tied to the conclusion, which is the last sentence. negate that conclusion and the arguments falls apart.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
C links isolation and complete knowledge
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 473 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Send PM
only C goes the best................!!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
negate statment C and the conclusion will no longer stand...hence , C is the assumption
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8798 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Cause and Effect

Which one makes fore sense:

1. It is currently impossible to cultivate any one such species in isolation. Therefore microbiologists lack complete knowledge of most microbe species.

2. Microbiologists lack complete knowledge of most microbe species thus it is currently impossible to cultivate any one such species in isolation.

I think 1. is better because claiming that microbiologists lack complete knowledge of most microbe species. is out of scope for the passage; while 2. is more in line with the passage.

C is a good explanation for 2.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Option C seems to be correct here which states the assumption.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Using POE, C is left even though test takers hardly comprehend the idea of "complete knowledge".
E is wrong because the passage states that it is impossible to cultivate any one of "almost species".
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts