Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.33
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Re: Minimal Improvement from CAT Exam 1-2 [#permalink]
Hello GMAT800byNIK .....welcome to the community.

According to my experience GMAT excellence depends on where you stand now and how much you can apply your learning on the test day. Irrespective of all, your timeline is a bit tight (unless you are already at a close proximity of your goal score). Not all the test takers can exhibit 90+ ponts inprovements in 6 weeks.

Saying that , one can achieve anything and everything. GmatWizard already have shared some nice links .... let us know if you have any specific queries.

All the very best !!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jwc3694,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, but there's no way to know whether you will hit your peak in 6 weeks or not, nor what your personal peak Score is. You've clearly made some nice improvements to how you handle the Quant section, but raising a 640 to the point that you could consistently score 730+ will likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
jwc3694 wrote:
Hi All,

I went from a relatively cold Manhattan Prep CAT Exam 580 (Q33, V37) to a 640 (Q42, V36) with about 6 weeks of studying (Manhattan Prep course, Strategy Guides + OG Practice). I have another 6 weeks before I'm scheduled to take the GMAT and my goal is a 730+, so I have a few questions:
1) Am I being too hard on myself in my expectation of a higher score with 6 weeks of prep, and are there some strong positives to take away from the second test?
2) Is the goal of a 730+ feasible?
3) Should I significantly change something about my approach to attain that goal?

All input is appreciated, thank you!
You've improved quite a bit in the 6 weeks that you have been studying. It might be a good idea to start taking the official practice tests regularly now.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22047 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jwc3694,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. First off, a 60-point improvement in just 6 weeks is certainly impressive. That said, have you taken any official GMAC practice exams to get a baseline score?

Regarding your questions:

1) For sure, there are some strong positives that you can take away from your second exam; however, you likely will need more than just 6 weeks to improve from a 640 to a 730+. If necessary, are you able to take the GMAT at a later date?

2) As long as you follow a realistic timeline and a structured study plan, YES, a 730+ is a realistic score goal.

3) Regarding your approach, its difficult to say whether what you are doing is enough for you to hit your score goal. The best thing you can do is objectively evaluate your progress so that, in the event that you are not making the improvements you need, you can consider adjusting your study plan or using additional prep materials.

Feel free to keep me updated and reach out with further questions. You also may find it helpful to read this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot