Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 05:41 It is currently 11 May 2024, 05:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1372 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11679 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Mock Performance Variations- Kaplan/MGMAT- URGENT Help- 1 Month to go [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi sj0070,

It's good that you posted all of this here - you're going about all of this in a problematic way and you really have to make some big adjustments to this plan.

To start, many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) before they hit their 'peak' scores. Since you've been studying for about 1.5 months, it's not surprising that you're facing some challenges right now. Many of your skills will improve with time.

Next, taking more than 1 CAT per week is NOT a good idea. If you continue to take your CATs so frequently, then your scores are likely to cluster (as they already have) and will probably continue to be in the low 600s. Taking lots of CATs does NOT make you a better Test Taker. Improvement comes from practice, learning tactics, drills, review, etc.; the weekly CAT is how you measure your progress. From here on, you should plan to take 1 FULL-LENGTH CAT per week (including the Essay and IR sections), away from your home, at the same time of day as your Official GMAT.

In addition, spending 10 hours a day (for any length of time) is also NOT a good idea. You're far more likely to 'burn out' than actually benefit from putting in so many hours. Since you're using a 'book heavy' study plan, it's likely that you're going to need to invest in some new (non-book) resources. It's also possible that you'll have to push back your Test Date.

When are you planning to apply to Business School?
Do you know which Schools you plan to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Mock Performance Variations- Kaplan/MGMAT- URGENT Help- 1 Month to go [#permalink]
Thanks for posting this valuable feedback. A lot my plans were made in a rush, and will be applying mostly for R2.
What is really important is the I would be backing myself predominantly on my profile, workex and some very important industry recommendations.

My target schools for now are-
1) SDA
2) Broad
3) Cornell 1 year
4) IE
5) IMD

Thanks

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi sj0070,

It's good that you posted all of this here - you're going about all of this in a problematic way and you really have to make some big adjustments to this plan.

To start, many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) before they hit their 'peak' scores. Since you've been studying for about 1.5 months, it's not surprising that you're facing some challenges right now. Many of your skills will improve with time.

Next, taking more than 1 CAT per week is NOT a good idea. If you continue to take your CATs so frequently, then your scores are likely to cluster (as they already have) and will probably continue to be in the low 600s. Taking lots of CATs does NOT make you a better Test Taker. Improvement comes from practice, learning tactics, drills, review, etc.; the weekly CAT is how you measure your progress. From here on, you should plan to take 1 FULL-LENGTH CAT per week (including the Essay and IR sections), away from your home, at the same time of day as your Official GMAT.

In addition, spending 10 hours a day (for any length of time) is also NOT a good idea. You're far more likely to 'burn out' than actually benefit from putting in so many hours. Since you're using a 'book heavy' study plan, it's likely that you're going to need to invest in some new (non-book) resources. It's also possible that you'll have to push back your Test Date.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Rich

Can you please point some quick fix courses(Online) I can opt for with 1 month in mind.

Thanks
Sj

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi sj0070,

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11679 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
HI sj0070,

If you're planning to apply for Round 2, why are you only giving yourself one more month of study time? You could push that Test Date back (if need be) and greatly improve your chances at scoring at a high level. Do you have the flexibility to reschedule, if needed?

From the 'block' of CATs that you took over the last week, there are some considerable 'swings' in the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores, so it's tough to say what your actual ability level is right now. If we take the 'best parts', then you're right around a 700, but if we take the 'worst parts', then you're around a 560. Based on everything you've described, I would estimate that you'd likely score around a 600 if you took the Official GMAT tomorrow.

You're likely going to need to work on BOTH your Quant and Verbal skills as you continue to study. While you could improve enough to hit your score goal in one month, you'd have a much better chance if you had 2 months.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Rich, Thanks for your valuable feedback.
Unfortunately i cannot push the date back, and that's for 2 reasons-
1) I have a travel heavy work plan in October, hence will not have time to study.
2) Based on 1, I risk loosing concentration much more than improving.

Next, I took the advise and skipped a few tests I had earlier planned for this week. Wrote 1 Kaplan today. Mentioned below(Last Row)

16-Aug: KAPLAN CAT2 -- 600(Q48/V21/IR2) (Barely 1 month into the preps, with low concentration, and just 15 effective days of preps)
26-Aug: MGMAT Test1 -- 590(Q41/V31/IR1) (10 days of heavy practice, but devastated at the score)
27-Aug: KAPLAN CAT5 -- 640(Q49/V27/IR3) (Read MGMAT tests are much higher on Q, and hence decided to write KAPLAN next very day)
30-Aug: GMAT Club -- 670(Q45/V36/IR-) (Wanted to break the monotony, hence wrote GMAT club, found easy)
01-Sep: MGMAT Test2 -- 610(Q40/V34/IR5) (Devastated at Q, which is way lower than my Q average, Ok'ish with English)
05-Sep: KAPLAN CAT3 -- 700(Q50/V34/IR5) ( I think the performance was decent, while the accuracy is an issue Q 20/37 Correct, V 22/41 Correct)

I need assistance with the following-
1) How do these tests (Kaplan/MGMAT) scale scores? Considering that the number of questions 'Right' is almost same as compared to last tests.
2) Any new insight you can derive from the latest score, and its swing from the last scores.

Thanks again.

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
HI sj0070,

If you're planning to apply for Round 2, why are you only giving yourself one more month of study time? You could push that Test Date back (if need be) and greatly improve your chances at scoring at a high level. Do you have the flexibility to reschedule, if needed?

From the 'block' of CATs that you took over the last week, there are some considerable 'swings' in the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores, so it's tough to say what your actual ability level is right now. If we take the 'best parts', then you're right around a 700, but if we take the 'worst parts', then you're around a 560. Based on everything you've described, I would estimate that you'd likely score around a 600 if you took the Official GMAT tomorrow.

You're likely going to need to work on BOTH your Quant and Verbal skills as you continue to study. While you could improve enough to hit your score goal in one month, you'd have a much better chance if you had 2 months.

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sj0070,

This recent CAT score is considerably higher than your recent scores, so one of the following has likely occurred:

1) You've gotten to the point that you're comfortable with the material/tactics and you're performing up to your ability.
2) Some aspect (or multiple aspects) about how you took this CAT was unrealistic.

Right now, there's no way for me to prove the first option, so I have a few questions that will help to clarify the second option:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay section)?
2) Have you taken this CAT more than once?
3) Have you seen any of the questions on this CAT before?
4) Did you do anything during this CAT that won't be allowed to do on Test Day (skip sections, pause the CAT, take it at home, take longer breaks, etc.)?

Since the GMAC Scoring algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. It seems questionable whether the number of correct answers you noted would equate to the Scaled Scores that you receive or not. A far more useful gauge would be to review each CAT and determine how many questions you SHOULD have gotten correct, but didn't (due to a silly/little mistake). Those mistakes are the things that you have to fix to score at a higher level.

One other question (based on your last post) - If you took the GMAT on October 1st and scored 640, would you apply to Business School with that score or would you retake the GMAT?

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Rich, Some of the answers below-

1) All the CATs I have taken are under exact test conditions, (Full Tests, No Breaks)
2) I attempt each CAT only once, Infact have not repeated any of these, and never see a repeat question.
3) No skips, no breaks.

On a 640, I would not apply to the intended schools. My application would start 680 onwards.

Some introspection below-
1) 4 years back I had prepared for the Indian MBA entrance Exam (CAT for IIM's). Supposedly the toughest exam in the World.
2) Fared decent in those exams, but did not get what I wanted. Importantly did not have sufficient work ex then.
3) So getting used to GMAT took some time, probably a few initial Mocks were helping me getting back into the exam mode.

Next Steps-
1) I have decided to write 2 GMAT Prep, and 3 Other Mocks in the time upto 23rd Sep (7 days prior to GMAT)
2) If my scores sustain, 660-700, I would take the shot at GMAT on 1st October.
3) Importantly if GMAT prep scores sustain this range, then I would be taking the shot.
4) If not, then I would push it to the month of December. Will have to skip October studies, and then prepare in November. (I wish this doesn't happen)

Hope this sounds logical.

Regards
Sj

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi sj0070,

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay section)?
2) Have you taken this CAT more than once?
3) Have you seen any of the questions on this CAT before?
4) Did you do anything during this CAT that won't be allowed to do on Test Day (skip sections, pause the CAT, take it at home, take longer breaks, etc.)?

One other question (based on your last post) - If you took the GMAT on October 1st and scored 640, would you apply to Business School with that score or would you retake the GMAT?

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Rich,

Well some thing went completely wrong today. I wrote my first GMAT Prep, Exact Test Simulation, In fact at a different place and a different Laptop.

Scored a dismal 600 (Q46/VR27/IR7). Here were some observations-
1) IR improved drastically- IR7, but was exhaustive, I felt my brain drained by the end of this section.
2) Quant- Tragic to say the least. Missed last 5 Questions. Fluttered over the 1st Question for 6 minutes. Panicked beyond Q25 for lack of time.
3) Verbal- I think I did decent, with 28 correct answers, couldn't believe the scaled score. But can't complain either, for this one is the real's best brother.

Learning-
1) At least 15 questions marked wrongly, or read incorrectly, or didn't read completely. Despite fairly simple questions, missed the critical wordings.
2) If this is the closest reality to the real scoring algorithm, I was completely oblivious to many test principles.
3) There is definitely some merit to the myth of first 10 questions, in Q, I got 5 Q's wrong in first 10.
4) Test prep companies algorithms are in a striking contrast to GMAT Prep, should not rely on their scores, may be only good for practice.
5) Such swings only prove fundamental weaknesses, which I have little time to fix now.

Key things to remember-
1) READ the Question properly, at least twice. I cannot loose out on a known concept by my foolishness in comprehension.
2) First 10 deserve your best brain, in either sections. DO NOT FRET over a missed question.

07-Sep: GMAT PREP1 -- 600(Q46/V27/IR7) (Devastation, well I wrote this mock with high expectations, but shattered completely)
05-Sep: KAPLAN CAT3 -- 700(Q50/V34/IR5) (I think the performance was decent, while the accuracy is an issue Q 20/37 Correct, V 22/41 Correct)
01-Sep: MGMAT Test2 -- 610(Q40/V34/IR5) (Devastated at Q, which is way lower than my Q average, Ok'ish with English)
30-Aug: GMAT Club -- 670(Q45/V36/IR-) (Wanted to break the monotony, hence wrote GMAT club, found easy)
27-Aug: KAPLAN CAT5 -- 640(Q49/V27/IR3) (Read MGMAT tests are much higher on Q, and hence decided to write KAPLAN next very day)
26-Aug: MGMAT Test1 -- 590(Q41/V31/IR1) (10 days of heavy practice, but devastated at the score)
16-Aug: KAPLAN CAT2 -- 600(Q48/V21/IR2) (Barely 1 month into the preps, with low concentration, and just 15 effective days of preps)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hey sj0070.

Like OptimusPrepJanielle said, I would lower the number of CATs and start reviewing the errors. You have done 3 CATs in less than a week. Have you checked your weaknesses already? Spot them, work on them and do another mock maybe in two more weeks, when you feel prepared with the materials learned.

Best.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Mock Performance Variations- Kaplan/MGMAT- URGENT Help- 1 Month to go [#permalink]
Hi snfuenza

I generally review the tests right after I complete them. Some of the issues I have seen as per my error logs result in 3 things-
1) Incomplete reading of the question.
2) Incorrect interpretation of the question.
3) Fret over question to solve it, wasting valuable time, and still getting it incorrect.

I think the mock scores are getting to clutter now. I perform best when i don't bother to care. But in today's test I was over hyped at the fact that this is GMAT Prep, My benchmark, and hence collapsed. Fear of failure crept in. I also could witness myself sweating in the Quant section.

Since I felt that more mocks was the only option to improve the above parameters. Hence wrote them left, right and center.

Now, to reverse the strategy, I think I will go back to basics once more for a week. Take it easy, take the scores lightly and remember my strengths.
Review all my cards, logs and previous mocks again. Do short timed quizzes.

And then write another mock on next Monday to see where I stand.

Thanks for your advise.

snfuenza wrote:
Hey sj0070.

Like OptimusPrepJanielle said, I would lower the number of CATs and start reviewing the errors. You have done 3 CATs in less than a week. Have you checked your weaknesses already? Spot them, work on them and do another mock maybe in two more weeks, when you feel prepared with the materials learned.

Best.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sj0070,

The results that you're seeing are some of the exact things we talked about in your earlier posts - so if you truly want to improve, then you have to stop approaching your studies in this way.

Your scores are fluctuating way too much and your comfort level with the Overall Exam is not what it needs to be. Your plan to take 5 more CATs over the next 15 days is NOT going to solve these problems. You really should take a thorough assessment of your upcoming schedule and consider pushing back your Test Date. If you had 1.5 to 2 months of study time, then I think that you could hit your score goal.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC

As per your last post, and your tips, I revisited my study strategy. I realized that solving problems, writing CATs was not going to solve my issues.
Hence went back to the basics. Just studied core concepts for 8 days running, and did targeted practice of those concepts on Grockit.

I realized that my content coverage was less, and things which should have been a breeze, took me a lot of time to solve.
So after 8 days, I wrote a CAT today, and scored 680. Despite considering that this was KAPLAN, which is generally tougher, and does not have a reasonable scoring algorithm, I found some positives after writing this exam.

1) My approach to solve problems changed, I encountered at least 7-8 problems in Q which took less than 30secs, all because of quick tips i recently picked.
2) For Verbal, however the score is low, but my accuracy has improved a bit.
3) Both sections were completed on time, Have set a mental clock in my head now dividing time in 3 slots- 25(10)-30(Middle)-20(10)

Am continuing with the same strategy, and will write only one more mock in the run up to the exam.

16-Sep: KAPLAN CAT4-- 680(Q50/V28/IR3) (Was comfortable with a lot of concepts this time around, hopeful now)
07-Sep: GMAT PREP1 -- 600(Q46/V27/IR7) (Devastation, well I wrote this mock with high expectations, but shattered completely)
05-Sep: KAPLAN CAT3 -- 700(Q50/V34/IR5) (I think the performance was decent, while the accuracy is an issue Q 20/37 Correct, V 22/41 Correct)

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi sj0070,

The results that you're seeing are some of the exact things we talked about in your earlier posts - so if you truly want to improve, then you have to stop approaching your studies in this way.

Your scores are fluctuating way too much and your comfort level with the Overall Exam is not what it needs to be. Your plan to take 5 more CATs over the next 15 days is NOT going to solve these problems. You really should take a thorough assessment of your upcoming schedule and consider pushing back your Test Date. If you had 1.5 to 2 months of study time, then I think that you could hit your score goal.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Rich,

So I wrote the exam today, scored a 690 (Q49/V35/IR3)
Need your advice, how good is this score?
Does it make sense to re-take?

My profile below-
4 Years with Accenture- Promoted 3 times in 3 years.
1 Year with Trafigura- Global Consulting Profile.
Current with Airtel- Manager in Business Consulting.

Total: 5+ years experience, high growth career.
Social: Was the YPA for Teach for India ( parent Teach for America)
Numerous professional Awards

Please let me know how does this look.

Regards
Sj

sj0070 wrote:
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC

As per your last post, and your tips, I revisited my study strategy. I realized that solving problems, writing CATs was not going to solve my issues.
Hence went back to the basics. Just studied core concepts for 8 days running, and did targeted practice of those concepts on Grockit.

I realized that my content coverage was less, and things which should have been a breeze, took me a lot of time to solve.
So after 8 days, I wrote a CAT today, and scored 680. Despite considering that this was KAPLAN, which is generally tougher, and does not have a reasonable scoring algorithm, I found some positives after writing this exam.

1) My approach to solve problems changed, I encountered at least 7-8 problems in Q which took less than 30secs, all because of quick tips i recently picked.
2) For Verbal, however the score is low, but my accuracy has improved a bit.
3) Both sections were completed on time, Have set a mental clock in my head now dividing time in 3 slots- 25(10)-30(Middle)-20(10)

Am continuing with the same strategy, and will write only one more mock in the run up to the exam.

16-Sep: KAPLAN CAT4-- 680(Q50/V28/IR3) (Was comfortable with a lot of concepts this time around, hopeful now)

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi sj0070,

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sj0070,

First off, a 690/Q49 is a fantastic score (it's just shy of the 90th percentile overall), so you should apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest is not necessary. You're ultimately asking Admissions questions though, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

ask-admission-consultants-124/

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks a lot Rich,

I really wanted to thank you for all the feedback you have provided.
The biggest mistake I was making all through the preps was a Mock heavy study plan, and post your correction I focused only on content.
After my Kaplan 680, I just took 1 more CAT and that too after a 20 day gap. That was GMAT Prep2 and scored 700 on that.
I know i missed out on the last 10 points in the real game, but without your help, I wouldn't have corrected myself.

Thanks again for everything.

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi sj0070,

First off, a 690/Q49 is a fantastic score (it's just shy of the 90th percentile overall), so you should apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest is not necessary. You're ultimately asking Admissions questions though, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

ask-admission-consultants-124/

Rich
GMAT Club Bot