GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 05:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Modern historians postulate that World War II may have been caused by

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Reviews Badge
Modern historians postulate that World War II may have been caused by  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2014, 15:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

78% (00:55) correct 22% (01:01) wrong based on 265 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Modern historians postulate that World War II may have been caused by tensions between nations, unresolved issues from World War I, effects of Great Depression, and rising Nazi factions in the 1930s.

A. and rising Nazi factions

B. and the rise of Nazi factions

C. and Nazi factions rising

D. or rising of Nazi factions

E. and Nazi factions that rose

Please someone explain why the role of the line "may have been caused" ignored here and used 'and' to complete the list.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Modern historians postulate that World War II may have been caused by  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2014, 18:17
I guessed the correct answer. Can someone please explain why B is correct and the rest are incorrect
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Reviews Badge
Re: Modern historians postulate that World War II may have been caused by  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2015, 11:41
earnit wrote:
Modern historians postulate that World War II may have been caused by tensions between nations, unresolved issues from World War I, effects of Great Depression, and rising Nazi factions in the 1930s.

Please someone explain why the role of the line "may have been caused" ignored here and used 'and' to complete the list.

The sentence has ||ism error. The last element (rising Nazi faction) in the list needs to be a noun (rise) to communicate the same sense as 'tensions', 'issues' 'effects'.
Hence (A) is wrong.

B is right

C - changes the list by making Nazi faction || to 'tensions', 'issues' 'effects'

D - 'and' is changed to 'or'.

E - Same as 'C'. Also subtle change in meaning by using 'that' to qualify 'Nazi factions'
Board of Directors
D
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2016, 10:52
earnit wrote:

A list has been presented and it must be parallel...

1. tensions between nations,
2. unresolved issues from World War I,
3. effects of Great Depression, and
4. the rise of Nazi factions in the 1930s.

Hence answer will clearly be (B)

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2016, 12:04
I am unable to understand why the option with OR is wrong... The World War II may be caused by any of them ... or all of them happening at that time.
Somehow I am unable to find a fault with option using OR...
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2016, 21:15
HMC wrote:
I am unable to understand why the option with OR is wrong... The World War II may be caused by any of them ... or all of them happening at that time.
Somehow I am unable to find a fault with option using OR...

The problem with D is the faulty use of the gerund "rising". If an action noun is already available, the the use of gerund is uncalled for. Hence the noun "rise" is better than the gerund. Manhattan SC guide has a detailed discussion on simple gerund and complex gerund. Following is an excerpt:

Also, if an appropriate action noun for a particular verb already exists in English, then avoid creating a complex gerund phrase. Instead, use the pre-existing action noun.

Wrong: The rebels demanded the withdrawal of government forces from disputed regions AND THE releasing OF certain political prisoners.
Right: The rebels demanded the withdrawal of government forces from disputed regions AND THE RELEASE OF certain political prisoners.

Release is a pre-existing action noun (meaning the act of releasing), so use this noun. Fortunately, the complex gerund phrase will generally sound worse than the pre-existing action noun.
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 22:47
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Modern historians postulate that World War II may have been caused by   [#permalink] 01 Jan 2019, 22:47

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics