Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 19 Jul 2019, 10:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 56300
Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2019, 03:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

31% (02:13) correct 69% (02:22) wrong based on 154 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics


Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned by the public ever since it went up. But since the people in our town do not know very much about contemporary art, the unpopularity of the work says nothing about its artistic merit and thus gives no reason for removing it.

Hector: You may be right about what the sculpture’s popularity means about its artistic merit. However, a work of art that was commissioned for a public space ought to benefit the public, and popular opinion is ultimately the only way of determining what the public feels is to its benefit. Thus, if public opinion of this sculpture is what you say, then it certainly ought to be removed.

Monica’s and Hector’s statements commit them to disagreeing about which one of the following principles?


(A) Public opinion of a work of art is an important consideration in determining the work’s artistic merit.
(B) Works of art commissioned for public spaces ought at least to have sufficient artistic merit to benefit the public.
(C) The only reason for removing a work of art commissioned for a public space would be that the balance of public opinion is against the work.
(D) The sculpture cannot benefit the public by remaining in the town plaza unless the sculpture has artistic merit.
(E) In determining whether the sculpture should remain in the town plaza, the artistic merit of the sculpture should be central consideration.

_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2015
Posts: 394
Re: Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2019, 17:29
Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned by the public ever since it went up. But since the people in our town do not know very much about contemporary art, the unpopularity of the work says nothing about its artistic merit and thus gives no reason for removing it. --> public doesn't know about art >> don't remove the art

Hector: You may be right about what the sculpture’s popularity means about its artistic merit. However, a work of art that was commissioned for a public space ought to benefit the public, and popular opinion is ultimately the only way of determining what the public feels is to its benefit. Thus, if public opinion of this sculpture is what you say, then it certainly ought to be removed. --> public opinion matters >> remove the art


Monica’s and Hector’s statements commit them to disagreeing about which one of the following principles?


(A) Public opinion of a work of art is an important consideration in determining the work’s artistic merit.
(B) Works of art commissioned for public spaces ought at least to have sufficient artistic merit to benefit the public.
(C) The only reason for removing a work of art commissioned for a public space would be that the balance of public opinion is against the work.
(D) The sculpture cannot benefit the public by remaining in the town plaza unless the sculpture has artistic merit.
(E) In determining whether the sculpture should remain in the town plaza, the artistic merit of the sculpture should be central consideration. --> correct: Both talk about the removal of the art
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 25 Aug 2015
Posts: 16
Re: Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2019, 21:25
Their argument is about whether the statue should remain in the plaza or not.
Monica: It should remain in the plaza, because it is a work of art.
Hector: It should not remain in the plaza, because the public does not appreciate it.

(A) Public opinion of a work of art is an important consideration in determining the work’s artistic merit.
- no, because there is nothing here about whether it should remain in the plaza or not
(B) Works of art commissioned for public spaces ought at least to have sufficient artistic merit to benefit the public.
- no, because there is nothing here about whether it should remain in the plaza or not
(C) The only reason for removing a work of art commissioned for a public space would be that the balance of public opinion is against the work.
- they are not arguing about the only reason for removing the work of art
(D) The sculpture cannot benefit the public by remaining in the town plaza unless the sculpture has artistic merit.
- they are not arguing about ways that the sculpture can benefit the public
(E) In determining whether the sculpture should remain in the town plaza, the artistic merit of the sculpture should be central consideration.
- this fits the above. Monica would agree, hector would disagree
Manager
Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 15 Nov 2017
Posts: 161
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Operations (Retail)
Re: Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2019, 00:46
1
I see a lot of gap in the explanation of correct answer:
Basically question is asking, which is the one thing that would be rejected by both Monica and Hector

Option E says that the the "artistic merit" is the the centre piece of consideration in deciding to keep the statue in public or not.
However, both Monica and Hector are discussing on one point to keep the statue in public and that is "people liking it" and therefore artistic merit is not the central piece to decide
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 25 Aug 2015
Posts: 16
Re: Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2019, 01:56
aggvipul wrote:
I see a lot of gap in the explanation of correct answer:
Basically question is asking, which is the one thing that would be rejected by both Monica and Hector

Option E says that the the "artistic merit" is the the centre piece of consideration in deciding to keep the statue in public or not.
However, both Monica and Hector are discussing on one point to keep the statue in public and that is "people liking it" and therefore artistic merit is not the central piece to decide


The way I read it is that which principle would Monica and Hector disagree (differ) about, not which of the principles they would both reject. Compare their conclusions below.

Monica would agree that artistic merit is the centre piece of consideration. She says that unpopularity of the work gives no reason for removing it, where "thus" and the conclusion is linked to the artistic merit of the sculpture.
the unpopularity of the work says nothing about its artistic merit and thus gives no reason for removing it.

Hector would disagree that artistic merit is the centre piece of consideration because he argues that it should be public opinion, where "thus" and the conclusion is linked to the public opinion of the sculpture.
Thus, if public opinion of this sculpture is what you say, then it certainly ought to be removed.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 15 Nov 2017
Posts: 161
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Operations (Retail)
Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2019, 05:55
Jazpants wrote:
aggvipul wrote:
I see a lot of gap in the explanation of correct answer:
Basically question is asking, which is the one thing that would be rejected by both Monica and Hector

Option E says that the the "artistic merit" is the the centre piece of consideration in deciding to keep the statue in public or not.
However, both Monica and Hector are discussing on one point to keep the statue in public and that is "people liking it" and therefore artistic merit is not the central piece to decide


The way I read it is that which principle would Monica and Hector disagree (differ) about, not which of the principles they would both reject. Compare their conclusions below.

Monica would agree that artistic merit is the centre piece of consideration. She says that unpopularity of the work gives no reason for removing it, where "thus" and the conclusion is linked to the artistic merit of the sculpture.
the unpopularity of the work says nothing about its artistic merit and thus gives no reason for removing it.

Hector would disagree that artistic merit is the centre piece of consideration because he argues that it should be public opinion, where "thus" and the conclusion is linked to the public opinion of the sculpture.
Thus, if public opinion of this sculpture is what you say, then it certainly ought to be removed.


Hi Jazpants , pls lay your focus a bit more on "the unpopularity of the work says nothing about its artistic merit and thus gives no reason for removing it"
i.e. the unpopularity and hence the artistic merit. Also see that the unpopularity(people liking) is magically attached to "artistic merit" and then this attachment has been played around with in subsequent discusion. Clearly, "artistic merit" is not the central piece.
I hope this helps
_________________
Intern
Intern
User avatar
S
Joined: 21 Jan 2016
Posts: 42
Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests
Re: Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2019, 06:24
I chose A. I still think that the bone of contention between Monica and Hector was whether public opinion should be a factor in the public display of arts or not. Monica basically says artistic merit should be the parameter, not the public opinion. Hector says the opposite. A fits very well.
_________________
GREEN ORANGE YELLOW RED
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 25 Aug 2015
Posts: 16
Re: Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2019, 09:10
aggvipul wrote:
Jazpants wrote:
aggvipul wrote:
I see a lot of gap in the explanation of correct answer:
Basically question is asking, which is the one thing that would be rejected by both Monica and Hector

Option E says that the the "artistic merit" is the the centre piece of consideration in deciding to keep the statue in public or not.
However, both Monica and Hector are discussing on one point to keep the statue in public and that is "people liking it" and therefore artistic merit is not the central piece to decide


The way I read it is that which principle would Monica and Hector disagree (differ) about, not which of the principles they would both reject. Compare their conclusions below.

Monica would agree that artistic merit is the centre piece of consideration. She says that unpopularity of the work gives no reason for removing it, where "thus" and the conclusion is linked to the artistic merit of the sculpture.
the unpopularity of the work says nothing about its artistic merit and thus gives no reason for removing it.

Hector would disagree that artistic merit is the centre piece of consideration because he argues that it should be public opinion, where "thus" and the conclusion is linked to the public opinion of the sculpture.
Thus, if public opinion of this sculpture is what you say, then it certainly ought to be removed.


Hi Jazpants , pls lay your focus a bit more on "the unpopularity of the work says nothing about its artistic merit and thus gives no reason for removing it"
i.e. the unpopularity and hence the artistic merit. Also see that the unpopularity(people liking) is magically attached to "artistic merit" and then this attachment has been played around with in subsequent discusion. Clearly, "artistic merit" is not the central piece.
I hope this helps


Monica does believe that artistic merit is the central piece to why they should keep the statue though. And Hector thinks it is public opinion. So I still hold to my view of why answer E is correct, but thanks for sharing yours :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Nov 2018
Posts: 33
Location: Austria
Re: Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2019, 11:06
prashant212 wrote:
I chose A. I still think that the bone of contention between Monica and Hector was whether public opinion should be a factor in the public display of arts or not. Monica basically says artistic merit should be the parameter, not the public opinion. Hector says the opposite. A fits very well.


I think the critical issue is whether the art should be removed because of public opinion, and not whether public opinion affects the work’s artistic value; I think there are better answers.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Nov 2018
Posts: 53
Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2019, 13:21
Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned by the public ever since it went up. But since the people in our town do not know very much about contemporary art, the unpopularity of the work says nothing about its artistic merit and thus gives no reason for removing it.

Hector: You may be right about what the sculpture’s popularity means about its artistic merit. However, a work of art that was commissioned for a public space ought to benefit the public, and popular opinion is ultimately the only way of determining what the public feels is to its benefit. Thus, if public opinion of this sculpture is what you say, then it certainly ought to be removed.

Monica’s and Hector’s statements commit them to disagreeing about which one of the following principles?

Here is my take on the question: POE

(A) Public opinion of a work of art is an important consideration in determining the work’s artistic merit. - Hector says public opinion is important to decide whether one should keep the art in the town plaza. but look what this choice says : public opinion is imp to determine the artistic merit. This is not where Hector and Monica disagree because of this line "You may be right about what the sculpture’s popularity means about its artistic merit"
(B) Works of art commissioned for public spaces ought at least to have sufficient artistic merit to benefit the public. - Again this is taking a part of monica`s argument and hector`s argument and mixing it up. Hector does not disagree with the artistic merit and Monica doesnt mention public benefit.
(C) The only reason for removing a work of art commissioned for a public space would be that the balance of public opinion is against the work. - Extreme. We can never know if it would be the only reason. there can be tons of others. Not to be confused with hector`s argument where he says "popular opinion is ultimately the only way of determining what the public feels is to its benefit". This DOES NOT mean he is saying that public opinion is the "only" reason to remove the art.
(D) The sculpture cannot benefit the public by remaining in the town plaza unless the sculpture has artistic merit. - same as B. Hector speaks about public benefit but doesnt say it has to have artistic merit. But here its just mixing the two things together
(E) In determining whether the sculpture should remain in the town plaza, the artistic merit of the sculpture should be central consideration. This is what Monica says and only she agrees to it. But Hector thinks artistic merit need not be considered whether good or bad and instead it should benefit the public. Correct answer
_________________
Beautiful is the one who continues to try despite failure.
GMAT Club Bot
Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2019, 13:21
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne