It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 20:40

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 931 [0], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
Re: More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2014, 08:12
Going with the 'cut the fluff' does the sentence makes sense?

More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Rgds,
TGC!

Kudos [?]: 931 [0], given: 322

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8959 [5], given: 111

Re: More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2014, 11:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
TGC wrote:
Going with the 'cut the fluff' does the sentence makes sense?

More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Dear TGC,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Simply put, you cut the wrong fluff. The structure of this sentence is:
[independent clause][modifier #1[modifier #2]
and "modifier #2" modifies the words "20 percent" in modifier #1. If we eliminate modifier #1, it doesn't make sense, because what modifier #2 is modifying isn't there!

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8959 [5], given: 111

Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8959 [7], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2014, 10:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
janxavier wrote:
Can someone plz tell me why E i wrng ?

Dear janxavier,
I'm happy to respond. In the original ...
... the phrase "more than all the North American Great Lakes combined" is a comparison to "which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water." Lake Baikal holds 20%, and this more than the Great Lakes hold. Very clear.

Now, look at (E):
More than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water.
Here, the modifier "More than all the North American Great Lakes combined" appears at the beginning, and modifiers at the beginning of the sentence typically modify the subject, so here it would modify Lake Baikal. This is an illogical comparison. Think about just this comparison.
Siberia's Lake Baikal is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
More what? We get some sense of what the sentence is trying to say, but it is not said with precision. In fact, Lake Baikal holds more fresh water than the Great Lakes, but that is not clear from this comparison. The comparison is illogical and incorrect.

Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8959 [7], given: 111

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 21

Schools: YLP '18

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2014, 03:28
This post was
BOOKMARKED

(A) More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.

(B) With 20 percent of the world's fresh water, that is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers that drain into it.

(C) Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, it holds more of the world's fresh water than all that of the North American Great Lakes combined, 20 percent.

(D) While more than 300 rivers drain into it, Siberia's Lake Baikal holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, which is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.

(E) More than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water.

Last edited by broall on 27 May 2017, 02:24, edited 1 time in total.
Merged topic. Please search before posting question.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2014, 03:29
Can someone explain me why (B) is incorrect?

Thanks

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1933 [2], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2014, 04:03
This post received
KUDOS
qwerty12321 wrote:
Can someone explain me why (B) is incorrect?

Thanks

(B) With 20 percent of the world's fresh water, that is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers that drain into it.

I rejected B, after observing ", that" -- comma should not precede that (essential modifier)
Further even if we accept the use of that, comparison is not proper. fresh water is being compared with north American lakes.
Also meaning wise, I think "SLB has 300 rivers" implies that rivers belongs to SLB and they also drain into it.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1933 [2], given: 229

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2014, 04:06
regarding the use of "that"

MGMAT SC says that the GMAT has an inconsistent position on the usage of "that".
It can be preceded and followed by a comma.

Is this correct?
What are your views regarding this?

Thanks

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 293 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2014, 04:42
Quote:
MGMAT SC says that the GMAT has an inconsistent position on the usage of "that".
It can be preceded and followed by a comma.

i guess u have not comprehended this usage correctly . if at all "that" is preceded by comma then that comma must be a part of some other construction .i do not have an example at hand but i will explain as what i mean

consider the following construction : subject ........noun, some modifier, that.... -----> in this case u might think that comma has preceded "that" ,when in fact that comma is part of "modifier" construction !!
is it clear now?

Kudos [?]: 293 [0], given: 61

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 61

Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT 1: 530 Q46 V18
WE: Other (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2014, 07:27
Can someone please explain why option E is incorrect?

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 61

Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1933 [0], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2014, 07:39
suhaschan wrote:
Can someone please explain why option E is incorrect?

Check this link : more-than-300-rivers-drain-into-siberia-s-lake-baikal-which-64501-20.html#p1380800

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1933 [0], given: 229

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 31

Schools: NTU '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V27

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2014, 08:42
Mike,

Thanks a lot for your explanations. But can you please tell what's wrong with E?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 31

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8959 [0], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2014, 09:28
sri30kanth wrote:
Mike,

Thanks a lot for your explanations. But can you please tell what's wrong with E?

Dear sri30kanth,
My friend, choice (E) is an illogical comparison, and illogical comparisons are always wrong on the GMAT. Please read my previous post in this thread carefully.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 8959 [0], given: 111

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 73 [1], given: 120

Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2014, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS

Lets analyze the sentence:

Clause 1 : More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal,
Clause 2: which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined

Which correctly modifying Baikal and more is correctly modifying water. This is correct sentence. Subject - Verb agreement is accounted for. Hence there is no problem in A

(A) More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.

(B) With 20 percent of the world's fresh water, that is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers that drain into it. - Presence of That is awkward. That is modifying water because that is essential modifier and Baikal has more than 300 River is not the intended meaning.

(C) Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, it holds more of the world's fresh water than all that of the North American Great Lakes combined, 20 percent. Very awkward sentence. It has no referent. More of and that of is wrong.

(D) While more than 300 rivers drain into it, Siberia's lake Baikal holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, which is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined. : Two clause separated by comma only. Use of while is wrong. Draining of rivers has not to do anything with volume of water.

(E) More than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water. - Lake can not be more than all the North American Great Lakes combined. Wrong use of Modifier. This is tough choice to reject . This choice confused me a lot.

Consider +1 Kudos Please :)

Kudos [?]: 73 [1], given: 120

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2015, 19:13
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 550 Q43 V23

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 05:06
B,C,D,E have one common error after comma they start with Siberia's lake .

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2016, 09:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

(C) Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, it holds more of the world's fresh water than all that of the North American Great Lakes combined, 20 percent.

(D) While more than 300 rivers drain into it, Siberia's lake Baikal holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, which is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.

(E) More than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water.

Please Pay attention to the following Posting Rules.
1) Always post the question in relevant forum. e.g. This question should be posted in SC sub-forum and should not be in General Verbal Forum.
2) Always underline the relevant part of SC question sentence.
3) Always post the question along with OA and if possible mark the appropriate tags.
Thank You.

b]The whole sentence is underlined, indicating modifier or logical predication issue. Keep an eye for intended meaning.
Sentence Structure:
[Clause 1 - Main Clause]
More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal,
[Clause 2 - Sub Clause]
which holds 20% of the world's fresh waster, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined. [/b]

Subject-verb agrees in both clauses; the pronoun 'which' clearly refers to lake Baikal. Modifier "more than..." says fresh water in Lake Baikal is more than all the North Americana Great Lakes combined.

"that is more than" does not have a clear referent -> 20% of the world's fresh water is more than all North American Lakes combined?
"Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers that..." -> Lake Baikal has rivers? The intended meaning Rivers drain into Lake Baikal.

"Siberi'a Lake Baikal,bla bla bla, it holds more" missing a Verb for Lake Baikal

(D) While more than 300 rivers drain into it, Siberia's lake Baikal holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, which is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
"20 percent of the world's fresh water, which" means 20% of the worlds fresh water is more than Great combined. Not the intended meaning.
Also, "while more than 300 rivers" indicates contrast or simultaneous action. It is true that rivers drain into Lake Baikal and Lake Baikal holds 20% of world's fresh water. Two different information. No need for contrast or simultaneous action word such as 'while'

More than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal -> Lake Baikal is more than all NA Great Lakes combined? Not the intended meaning.

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 41

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2016, 02:36

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2016, 05:02

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 454 [1], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2016, 05:29
This post received
KUDOS
qwerty12321 wrote:

(D) While more than 300 rivers drain into it, Siberia's Lake Baikal holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, which is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.

(A) More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined. Correct choice. 'which' refers to 'lake baikal' and 'more than all the North American Great Lakes combined' correctly modifies ' water'

(B) With 20 percent of the world's fresh water, that is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers that drain into it. 'that' proceeded by ','

(C) Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, it holds more of the world's fresh water than all that of the North American Great Lakes combined, 20 percent. No verb for 'Siberia's Lake Baikal'

(D) While more than 300 rivers drain into it, Siberia's Lake Baikal holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, which is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined. 'While' is not required.

(E) More than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water. 'More than all the North American Great Lakes combined' must modify 'water and not 'Siberia's Lake Baikal'

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 454 [1], given: 69

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2016, 22:22

(E) More than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water. => it seems like Siberia's lake baikal is more than all the north american Great lakes combined => Meaning error

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 342

Re: More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2016, 22:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 57 posts ] 

More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap