Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 01:39 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 01:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [2]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63697 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Most disposable plastic containers are now labeled with a code [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
tanishqgirotra wrote:
I totally disagree with option C being the correct answer as the argument states "Consumers can make a significant long-term reduction in the amount of waste that goes unrecycled" and this option totally acknowledges the argument as a whole, as the consumers are still making a change in the first place by recycling even if later on a container becomes non recyclable.

On the other hand, if a consumer is not only aware of what these codes mean, there would be random purchasing of the containers with different codes and I believe this would lead to less recycling of containers as compared to option 'C'. and hence, this option most seriously undermines the conclusion. And, how come this option explains an educational issue and not a flaw, when the argument clearly states : Consumers can make a significant long-term reduction in the amount of waste that goes unrecycled".

Please relate and let me know as I completely disagree with option C

Let's start with (B), which states that consumers are unaware of the plastic codes. Here's the thing: the conclusion of the passage is a conditional statment of sorts -- all it claims is that if consumers knew of these codes, then the amount of unrecycled plastic would go down. Whether consumers are ACTUALLY aware of the codes has no impact on this conclusion at all.

As for (C), remember that the goal is to "make a significant long-term reduction in the amount of waste that goes unrecycled."

Imagine that one pound of material becomes a plastic container with a label of "1." This pound of material gets recycled multiple times, and according to (C) the number goes up and up each time it gets recycled. Eventually it hits a high number and gets dumped in a landfill because it's too hard to recycle. So, one pound of material became one pound of unrecycled waste at the end of the day.

The same exact thing would happen if consumers decide not to buy containers with high numbers -- the container could start with a "1," then go up a bit, and then end up in the landfill because no one will buy a container with a higher number. Refusing to buy the higher number could actually make the pound of waste get to the landfill faster.

That's why (C) is the correct answer.

I hope that helps!­
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Most disposable plastic containers are now labeled with a code [#permalink]
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts