GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 02:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Most disposable plastic containers are now labeled with a code

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Most disposable plastic containers are now labeled with a code  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 22:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:44) correct 49% (01:48) wrong based on 311 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Most disposable plastic containers are now labeled with a code number (from 1 to 9) indicating the type or quality of the plastic. Plastics with the lowest code numbers are the easiest for recycling plants to recycle and are thus the most likely to be recycled after use rather than dumped in landfills. Plastics labeled with the highest numbers are only rarely recycled. Consumers can make a significant long-term reduction in the amount of waste that goes unrecycled, therefore, by refusing to purchase those products packaged in plastic containers labeled with the highest code numbers.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the conclusion above?

(A) The cost of collecting, sorting, and recycling discarded plastics is currently higher than the cost of manufacturing new plastics from virgin materials.

(B) Many consumers are unaware of the codes that are stamped on the plastic containers.

(C) A plastic container almost always has a higher code number after it is recycled than it had before recycling because the recycling process causes a degradation of the quality of the plastic.

(D) Products packaged in plastics with the lowest code numbers are often more expensive than those packaged in the higher-numbered plastics.

(E) Communities that collect all discarded plastic containers for potential recycling later dump in landfills plastics with higher-numbered codes only when it is clear that no recycler will take them.

Source: LSAT

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
Re: Most disposable plastic containers are now labeled with a code  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 22:47
I would go for C
C is saying that even if the consumers were able to buy the easiest to recycle plastics, it is not going to end in a long term reduction of unrecycled plastics
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.9
Re: Most disposable plastic containers are now labeled with a code  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 23:24
Octobre wrote:
I would go for C
C is saying that even if the consumers were able to buy the easiest to recycle plastics, it is not going to end in a long term reduction of unrecycled plastics

I would like to present my reasoning against choice C.

Imagine a customer is looking at a shelf and he/she has 2 options.

Option 1: Choosing a plastic container with code number 1
If he/she chooses this option, this particular container is likely to be recycled and not go in a landfill
Thus,
Recycling : +1
Landfill : 0

Option 2: Choosing a plastic container with code number 9
If he/she chooses this option, this particular container is likely to go to a landfill.
Thus,
Recycling : 0
Landfill : +1

Now as stated in choice C, the plastic container AFTER usage becomes code number 9 and hence will likely go to landfill.
The final score will be

Recycling : +1
Landfill : +1

Had the customer chose Option 2, the score would have been

Recycling: 0
Landfill: +2

Hence, as you can see, the customer choice IS making a difference. That's exactly what the conclusion is saying. While I agree that the impact may not be "significant" , but then it depends on the number of customer buying these plastic containers as well.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 04:57
B??!!!

If the customers cannot even make out the number, how can they make long term commitments?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 20:13
IMO B

Conclusion: Consumers can make a difference by refusing plastic with high number.

B undermines the conclusion since if people are unaware, how will they choose
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 23:47
If you read the last sentence closely, you will realize that the argument assumes that the consumer are aware about the codes. What the consumers are not aware about is that containers with high code number are less likely to be recycled.

Hence, IMO option B is incorrect because it goes against what is assumed in the argument.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 03:39
I chose D at first but I think the right answer is C ,

According to 'c', higher numbers mean it's already recycled. but if customers refuse to use recycled packages, then manufacturers should keep manufacturing new packages. and even after recycling the lower number coded packages, which have higher number now, people would not buy them. with this flow, in a long-term, the total demand for the recycled packages will shrink. Thus 'C' undermines the conclusion.

what do you think?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 04:24
Sanjeetgujrall wrote:
IMO B

Conclusion: Consumers can make a difference by refusing plastic with high number.

B undermines the conclusion since if people are unaware, how will they choose

B doesnt seen right because if somebody unaware of labelling then equal chance.
C seems correct.
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 17:30
in many gmat question, B is a common and important pattern for assumption questions. In this question, "many people" is not good enough; thus, B is a trap. C is better.

Anyway, I hardly believe that gmat will include such question on the real exam.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 10:04
Accepting C as the correct answer, I think the key flaw in the argumentation would be that if everyone bought only products with the lowest number, the higher numbers obviously would not be bought, thus not be recycled. The system would fail if everyone would buy number 1.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Sep 2018, 02:00
Hi there! I'd appreciate your opinion on this question and perhaps also your view on how likely it is that such a question might show up on a GMAT. In the latest comment I gave my view on the subject, however, I am not completely convinced that this is the correct explanation.
Thanks ahead!

Originally posted by heintzkopf on 08 Sep 2018, 10:10.
Last edited by heintzkopf on 09 Sep 2018, 02:00, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 18:57
Hmm this was a tricky one. I wasn't sure if consumer awareness was a given and chose B.

My second choice was C, which turns out to be correct.
Re: Most disposable plastic containers are now labeled with a code &nbs [#permalink] 08 Sep 2018, 18:57

Most disposable plastic containers are now labeled with a code

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap