Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 08:45 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 08:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 08.45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64986 [0]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Most European countries offer a variety of programs for assisting work [#permalink]
KarishmaB wrote:
Keshav1404 wrote:
Hi Experts,

When i first attempted the question, I have eliminated Option E on the basis that "How working parents can include paid maternity and paternity leaves?". However, now i know that Option E is correct. I need more further insights on the usage of Both 'Including' and "Which'.

I know that 'including' can work both as a modifier and as a prepositional phrase.

1. When 'which' is used, Can we skip the preposition phrase so that the 'which' refers to the noun prior to preposition phrase. Like in Option A "a variety of programs for assisting working parents, which include".

2. When including is used, does it can also act in the same manner as above. How comma works in the following sentence?

I think when 'including' refers to the object of the prepositional phrase comma is not required. However when 'Including' skips over the prepositional phrase 'comma' is required to separate the 'including' from the object of the prepositional phrase.

Is my thinking correct? and please clarify the points 1 & 2 asked.

Please help KarishmaB GMATNinja

Yes, which can skip over the prepositional phrase to refer to the noun.

'Including ...' is acting as a prepositional phrase to say that programs A, B and C are a part of the programs offered. In a way, they give specific examples. Often this phrase is a non essential part of the sentence and is separated by commas.

KarishmaB

If 'Including' is separated by comma. How can I avoid eliminating the answer option E, As the meaning of it can be interpreted as 'Working parents include
Paid Leaves and Subsidized public nursery. Do 'including' can also skip over the prepositional phrase?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64986 [1]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Re: Most European countries offer a variety of programs for assisting work [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Keshav1404 wrote:
KarishmaB wrote:
Keshav1404 wrote:
Hi Experts,

When i first attempted the question, I have eliminated Option E on the basis that "How working parents can include paid maternity and paternity leaves?". However, now i know that Option E is correct. I need more further insights on the usage of Both 'Including' and "Which'.

I know that 'including' can work both as a modifier and as a prepositional phrase.

1. When 'which' is used, Can we skip the preposition phrase so that the 'which' refers to the noun prior to preposition phrase. Like in Option A "a variety of programs for assisting working parents, which include".

2. When including is used, does it can also act in the same manner as above. How comma works in the following sentence?

I think when 'including' refers to the object of the prepositional phrase comma is not required. However when 'Including' skips over the prepositional phrase 'comma' is required to separate the 'including' from the object of the prepositional phrase.

Please help KarishmaB GMATNinja

'Including ...' is acting as a prepositional phrase to say that programs A, B and C are a part of the programs offered. In a way, they give specific examples. Often this phrase is a non essential part of the sentence and is separated by commas.

KarishmaB

If 'Including' is separated by comma. How can I avoid eliminating the answer option E, As the meaning of it can be interpreted as 'Working parents include
Paid Leaves and Subsidized public nursery. Do 'including' can also skip over the prepositional phrase?

I am not sure why you think commas have anything to do with it.

Most countries offer a variety of programs to assist working parents, including program A, program B and program C (examples of programs)

Most countries offer a variety of programs to assist working parents, including part-timers, retainers and consultants (examples of types of working parents)

What is after 'including' tells us about what we are talking. Don't look for 'rules.'
Logic rules GMAT, not 'rules.' Only the basic Grammar rules of 'subject verb agreement' etc. are sacrosanct.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
Keshav1404 wrote:
KarishmaB wrote:
Hi Experts,

I am not sure why you think commas have anything to do with it.

Most countries offer a variety of programs to assist working parents, including program A, program B and program C (examples of programs)

Most countries offer a variety of programs to assist working parents, including part-timers, retainers and consultants (examples of types of working parents)

What is after 'including' tells us about what we are talking. Don't look for 'rules.'
Logic rules GMAT, not 'rules.' Only the basic Grammar rules of 'subject verb agreement' etc. are sacrosanct.

KarishmaB

Thank you for resolving my Query. The comma query was resolved when you first responded with my query. However my query was whether including can refer both "to the noun before the prepositional phrase" and "to the object of prepositional phrase."

After your 2 different examples in the last response showing both of the cases have resolved my query.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Is there also a subject-verb agreement issue here in Option D? "variety of programs for assisting working parents" (plural) - "includes" (singular)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts