Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Businessx   Long Passagex                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [47]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [57]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2163 [8]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Most large corporations in the United States were once run by individu [#permalink]
Kudos
88. B
89. C
90. C
91. B
92. B
93. B
94. E

89. It can be inferred from the passage that which of the following is true of majority shareholders in a corporation?
(A) They make the corporation's operational management decisions. They can dictate policy but operational decisions were not made by them ( day to day decisions)
(B) They are not allowed to own more than fifty percent of the corporation's stock. this has not been discussed in the passage
(C) They cannot make quick profits by selling their stock in the corporation.Passage discusses this for capitalists : Because putting such large amounts of
(5) stock on the market would only depress its value, they
could not sell out for a quick profit and instead had to
concentrate on improving the long-term productivity of
their companies.
& explicitly states this for minority shareholder nt for the institutional "A
minority shareholder is necessarily a short term trader."

(D) They are more interested in profits than in productivity. these last two r just to fill options
(E) They cannot sell any of their stock in the corporation without giving the public advance notic.

92. It can be inferred that the author makes which of the following assumptions about the businesses once controlled
by individual capitalists?
(A) These businesses were less profitable than are businesses today.
(B) Improving long-term productivity led to increased profits.
lines in the passage says" United States productivity is unlikely to
improve unless shareholders and the managers of the
companies in which they invest are encouraged to
(20) enhance long-term productivity (and hence long-term
profitability),
rather than simply to maximize short term
profits."
This shld clear your doubt

(C) Each business had only a few stockholders.
(D) There was no short-term trading in the stock of these businesses.
(E) Institutions owned no stock in these companies.

Talking abt 90, passage says in lines 30 -33 that
"any institutionthat holds twenty percent or more of a company's
stock should be forced to give the public one day's
notice of the intent to sell those shares. " If they have to provide a notice prior to sale of stocks the, news of sale is already in the market and stock price will go down by the news of sale, more so by disclosing the -ve reason of the sale of stock,Thus, if and only if you have a +ve reason eg. Fund raising fr expansion then only you will go for sale; so this is to discourage short term profit making :)

Thus only c is right
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Send PM
Re: Most large corporations in the United States were once run by individu [#permalink]
Thanks Vageesh 4 ur help. I understood clearly where I made mistakes.

My problem is that I cannot recall the whole paragraph when I attempt questions n do lot of mistakes. I get only 50% correct answers everytime no matter what I do. I also did lot of practice on making short note of each para. but that also did not helped me because its time consuming. I already tried many other techniques on RC section bt my avg. performance is 50%. Can u plz suggest any foolproof method so that I get @ least 80% of what I do for now.

Thnx,
Bhartiindia.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Bharti.. i also have made similar mistakes in the past, but never tried to make notes as i really find that distracting, but now i have improved in tough passages too just because of continuous practice. I would suggest you two things
1) Do 2-3 passages in one sitting and pls do this practice at time when ur concentration is at its best.
2) Keep doing the first, dnt give up.
Results will come up
One more thing which is imp is to read passage with interest while focusing on the qualifiers.

If you have enough time then read different topics frm nytimes & economist.
Good luck
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Send PM
Thanks Tommy for your advice, i will try that again, but it all depends on how well one masters this technique.. having said that one always has to go back & see the passage for detailed info. But i give points to you when you talk about longer passages, As you are an Instructor, must be having some logic :) will try this method today again.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1103 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.85
WE:Sales (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
I disagree on number 89. Answer C

The question states "Which of the following IS true of the majority sharholders in a corporation". Answer C refers to the individuals that could not sell large amounts of stock on the market. Those individuals once ran most large corporations (in the past.) I went for B, as the passage states that antitrust legislation bans ownership of a majority. Furthermore, the passage states that any institution that holds twenty percent or more of a company's stock SHOULD be forced to give the public one day's notice of the intent to sell those shares.

I really appreciate any comments on my post

Regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [3]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Adding one more question:
The passage supports which of the following statements?
(A) Antitrust laws prevent any single shareholder from acquiring a majority of the stock in a corporation.
(B) Institutions that intend to sell a large block of stock in a single corporation must give at least twenty-four hours notice of the sale.
(C) In most corporations it is the board of directors rather than the corporate managers who make policy decisions.
(D) The sudden sale of a large amount of stock in any one corporation makes the value of the stock go down.
(E) The way corporations are currently run, it is unlikely that increased productivity would lead to short-term increases in stock values.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
For the passage i got 89 th and 92 incorrect. For each passage i comprehend i get either 2 or 1 answer as incorrect.
I am still not able to get all answers correct for any of my practiced passage. On average i take 12 mins to solve a passage.
I follow taking short rough notes for each para and once i have finished the passage i go through the notes for say 45 to 60 secs
before attempting questions. I aim to finish a para in 9 mins with maximum 1 incorrect options.
Any suggestions would be helpful as i am not improving with the accuracy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
PrashantPonde wrote:
(A) Antitrust laws prevent any single shareholder from acquiring a majority of the stock in a corporation.
(B) Institutions that intend to sell a large block of stock in a single corporation must give at least twenty-four hours notice of the sale.
(C) In most corporations it is the board of directors rather than the corporate managers who make policy decisions.
(D) The sudden sale of a large amount of stock in any one corporation makes the value of the stock go down.
(E) The way corporations are currently run, it is unlikely that increased productivity would lead to short-term increases in stock values.

Is the answer to the above question A or B ??
Please specify the reason for the correct answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [5]
Given Kudos: 45
Schools: CBS '18 (D)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
PrashantPonde wrote:

I think the answer here is D. To me, the contenders were D and E.

Going through the choices, my thought process was:

A - antitrust laws apply to large institutions only, and the answer of 'any single shareholder' is too broad.
Today, with few exceptions, the stock of large United States corporations is held by large institutions-pension funds, for example-and because these institutions are prohibited by antitrust laws from owning a majority of a company's stock

B - this is a proposal, not a law or regulation, so the passage does not support this choice. This is in the second paragraph.

C - this choice is a tough one. The passage doesn't make explicit the nexus between policy decisions and the board or managers; the only mention is in the first sentence of the passage. But I think the last sentence of the first paragraph implies management are responsible for policy decisions - there's no mention of the board in making decisions. Or put another way, you need to negate the answer by making an inference, and here it's that boards may provide company policy but it's management that makes the decisions.
As a result, United States productivity is unlikely to improve unless shareholders and the managers of the companies in which they invest are encouraged to enhance long-term productivity (and hence long-term profitability), rather than simply to maximize short term profits.

D - I think the relevant line was too clear, making me more than suspicious that I've selected the wrong answer!
Because putting such large amounts of stock on the market would only depress its value, they could not sell out for a quick profit and instead had to concentrate on improving the long-term productivity of their companies.

E - this one looks like a stretch. Using the final line of the first paragraph (again), my take is that companies are currently run to maximise short term profits, but there is no linking of productivity and stock values in the short term. If I was looking for a way to negate the answer, putting on my investor hat, I'd say investors are influenced by quarterly earnings (or similar) so any news that companies are trying to increase productivity should increase the stock price.

As I note above, E was one of my contenders. My rationale at rejecting the answer was that the passage refers only to long-term productivity, so we have nothing about short-term productivity to draw any inferences. It also helps that the relevant part of the passage for choice D was pretty clear (I think it is!). Still, my answer, and therefore my reasoning, could be wrong.

I would love to know the answer for this one if someone is willing to help out.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64903 [6]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bhartiindia wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: RC 88 ~ 94
Page: 348

[box_out][box_in]Most large corporations in the United States were once run by individual capitalists who owned enough stock to dominate the board of directors and dictate company policy. Because putting such large amounts of stock on the market would only depress its value, they could not sell out for a quick profit and instead had to concentrate on improving the long-term productivity of their companies. Today, with few exceptions, the stock of large United States corporations is held by large institutions — pension funds, for example — and because these institutions are prohibited by antitrust laws from owning a majority of a company's stock and from actively influencing a company's decision-making, they can enhance their wealth only by buying and selling stock in anticipation of fluctuations in its value. A minority shareholder is necessarily a short term trader. As a result, United States productivity is unlikely to improve unless shareholders and the managers of the companies in which they invest are encouraged to enhance long-term productivity (and hence long-term profitability), rather than simply to maximize short term profits.

Since the return of the old-style capitalist is unlikely, today's short-term traders must be remade into tomorrow's long-term capitalistic investors. The legal limits that now prevent financial institutions from acquiring a dominant shareholding position in a corporation should be removed, and such institutions encouraged to take a more active role in the operations of the companies in which they invest. In addition, any institution that holds twenty percent or more of a company's stock should be forced to give the public one day's notice of the intent to sell those shares. Unless the announced sale could be explained to the public on grounds other than anticipated future losses, the value of the stock would plummet and, like the old-time capitalists, major investors could cut their losses only by helping to restore their companies' productivity. Such measures would force financial institutions to become capitalists whose success depends not on trading shares at the propitious moment, but on increasing the productivity of the companies in which they invest.

Responding to a pm:
Quote:
1. It can be inferred that the author makes which of the following assumptions about the businesses once controlled by individual capitalists?

(A) These businesses were less profitable than are businesses today.
(C) Each business had only a few stockholders.
(D) There was no short-term trading in the stock of these businesses.
(E) Institutions owned no stock in these companies.

The passage tells us that "Because putting such large amounts of stock on the market would only depress its value, they could not sell out for a quick profit and instead had to concentrate on improving the long-term productivity of their companies".
So the capitalists could not make profits by selling the stock on the market and hence had to focus on productivity. This implies that higher productivity led to increased profits and that is how the capitalists made profit. Hence (B) is true.

Quote:
2. The passage supports which of the following statements?

There are multiple references to (D):
Because putting such large amounts of stock on the market would only depress its value,
Unless the announced sale could be explained to the public on grounds other than anticipated future losses, the value of the stock would plummet

Hence the passage supports (D)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V26
GPA: 3.76
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi VeritasKarishma

Quote:
You've mentioned that:

There are multiple references to (D):
Because putting such large amounts of stock on the market would only depress its value,
Unless the announced sale could be explained to the public on grounds other than anticipated future losses, the value of the stock would plummet

Hence the passage supports (D)

The correct answer choice uses the present tense while in passage, 'would' is used (kind of prediction).

Can you please give your inputs whether if such deviation is allowed?

Thanks a lot.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
P1 - situation old and new times, + productivity
P2 - laws around to improve today's situation.

1. In the passage, the author is primarily concerned with doing which of the following?

(B) Describing a problem and proposing a solution

-------------------------------------------------

2. It can be inferred from the passage that which of the following is true of majority shareholders in a corporation?

In addition, any institution that holds twenty percent or more of a company's stock should be forced to give the public one day's notice of the intent to sell those shares.

(C) They cannot make quick profits by selling their stock in the corporation.

--------------------------------------------------

3. According to the passage, the purpose of the requirement suggested in lines 30-33 [In addition, any institution that holds twenty percent or more of a company's stock should be forced to give the public one day's notice of the intent to sell those shares.] would be which of the following?

Unless the announced sale could be explained to the public on grounds other than anticipated future losses, the value of the stock would plummet and, like the old-time capitalists, major investors could cut their losses only by helping to restore their companies' productivity.

(C) To discourage short-term profit-taking by institutional stockholders

---------------------------------------------------

4. The author suggests that which of the following is a true statement about people who typify the “old-style capitalist" referred to in line 23?
P2 is all on these lines.
(B) They seldom engaged in short-term trading of the stock they owned.

----------------------------------------------------

5. It can be inferred that the author makes which of the following assumptions about the businesses once controlled by individual capitalists?

Because putting such large amounts of stock on the market would only depress its value, they could not sell out for a quick profit and instead had to concentrate on improving the long-term productivity of their companies

--------------------------------------------------

6. The author suggests that the role of large institutions as stockholders differs from that of the “old-style capitalist” in part because large institutions

P2 is around this.
(B) are prohibited by law from owning a majority of a corporation’s stock
-----------------------------------------------------

7. The primary function of the second paragraph of the passage is to

(E) recommend actions

------------------------------------------------------

8. The passage supports which of the following statements?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Could someone please explain Question 2/8 and also 8/8? I chose D initially for the last question and changed my answer to A. For me, the biggest turnoff from choice D was the word "single". I was trying to nitpick between A and D and assumed individual shareholder referred to one of the large institutions mentioned. Either way, I wish the wording on the answer choices for those 2 options showed a greater contrast as I knew what I was looking for by was stumped between nearly 2 identical choices. For question 2, I could not find the pertinent information from the passage to support an answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Kudos
alman888 wrote:
PrashantPonde wrote:

I think the answer here is D. To me, the contenders were D and E.

Going through the choices, my thought process was:

A - antitrust laws apply to large institutions only, and the answer of 'any single shareholder' is too broad.
Today, with few exceptions, the stock of large United States corporations is held by large institutions-pension funds, for example-and because these institutions are prohibited by antitrust laws from owning a majority of a company's stock

B - this is a proposal, not a law or regulation, so the passage does not support this choice. This is in the second paragraph.

C - this choice is a tough one. The passage doesn't make explicit the nexus between policy decisions and the board or managers; the only mention is in the first sentence of the passage. But I think the last sentence of the first paragraph implies management are responsible for policy decisions - there's no mention of the board in making decisions. Or put another way, you need to negate the answer by making an inference, and here it's that boards may provide company policy but it's management that makes the decisions.
As a result, United States productivity is unlikely to improve unless shareholders and the managers of the companies in which they invest are encouraged to enhance long-term productivity (and hence long-term profitability), rather than simply to maximize short term profits.

D - I think the relevant line was too clear, making me more than suspicious that I've selected the wrong answer!
Because putting such large amounts of stock on the market would only depress its value, they could not sell out for a quick profit and instead had to concentrate on improving the long-term productivity of their companies.

E - this one looks like a stretch. Using the final line of the first paragraph (again), my take is that companies are currently run to maximise short term profits, but there is no linking of productivity and stock values in the short term. If I was looking for a way to negate the answer, putting on my investor hat, I'd say investors are influenced by quarterly earnings (or similar) so any news that companies are trying to increase productivity should increase the stock price.

As I note above, E was one of my contenders. My rationale at rejecting the answer was that the passage refers only to long-term productivity, so we have nothing about short-term productivity to draw any inferences. It also helps that the relevant part of the passage for choice D was pretty clear (I think it is!). Still, my answer, and therefore my reasoning, could be wrong.

I would love to know the answer for this one if someone is willing to help out.

Hey regarding choice B. I'm not sure it is correct to assume here that a passage needs to support an assertion only if it is a law/regulation? This is too centric to this particular passage talking about laws while the question is a generic one. Moreover, the passage does support this with a clear statement. (The author is suggesting it in the passage, thus the passage is supporting it?) Thoughts here?GMATNinja
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [1]
Given Kudos: 122
GPA: 3.5
Send PM