GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jan 2019, 16:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

     January 26, 2019

     January 26, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.
  • Free GMAT Number Properties Webinar

     January 27, 2019

     January 27, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Attend this webinar to learn a structured approach to solve 700+ Number Properties question in less than 2 minutes.

Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1072
Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2010, 11:31
1
5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:40) correct 53% (01:53) wrong based on 546 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Mr. Janeck: I don’t believe Stevenson will win the election for governor. Few voters are willing to elect a businessman with no political experience to such a responsible public office.
Ms. Siuzdak: You’re wrong. The experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government.

M. Siuzdak’s response shows that she has interpreted Mr. Janeck’s remark to imply which of the following?

(A) Mr. Janeck considers Stevenson unqualified for the office of governor.

(B) No candidate without political experience has ever been elected governor of a state.

(C) Mr. Janeck believes that political leadership and business leadership are closely analogous.

(D) A career spent in the pursuit of profit can be an impediment to one’s ability to run a state government fairly.

(E) Voters generally overestimate the value of political experience when selecting a candidate
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8810
Location: Pune, India
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2010, 06:37
11
2
seekmba wrote:
Mr. Janeck: I don’t believe Stevenson will win the election for governor. Few voters are willing to elect a businessman with no political experience to such a responsible public office.
Ms. Siuzdak: You’re wrong. The experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government.

M. Siuzdak’s response shows that she has interpreted Mr. Janeck’s remark to imply which of the following?
(A) Mr. Janeck considers Stevenson unqualified for the office of governor.
(B) No candidate without political experience has ever been elected governor of a state.
(C) Mr. Janeck believes that political leadership and business leadership are closely analogous.
(D) A career spent in the pursuit of profit can be an impediment to one’s ability to run a state government fairly.
(E) Voters generally overestimate the value of political experience when selecting a candidate


It is a good idea to first read the question stem. It prepares you to analyze the stimulus according to the question. Plus, in a complicated question, you don't have to go back and read the entire stimulus again (part of SWIMMER strategy of Veritas)

Here I first read the question: Ms. Siuzdak’s response shows that she has interpreted Mr. Janeck’s remark to imply which of the following?
I see there are two speakers. I know that Ms. Siuzdak interprets Mr. Janeck’s remark to imply something. Great, lets go ahead and read the stimulus.

Mr Janeck talks about the unwillingness of voters to elect a businessman without political experience to such a position.

Ms Siuzdak says, "You are wrong." and goes on to elaborate how experience of running a business prepares one to run the government.

When I read Ms. Siuzdak's response, I think, "She is interpreting an implication in Mr Janeck's remark. What is it?"
It does strike me as odd that he only mentioned how voters feel. He did not say that Stevenson was unsuitable for office while Ms. Siuzdak tries to convince him why Stevenson is suitable. She doesn't say something like, "You are wrong. Voters understand that the experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government."

Now I look at the options. It is pretty clear that she interpreted that Mr Janeck believes Stevenson is not suitable for office. (A) is the correct answer.
(D) is incorrect. The issue is experience here. Not how profit chasing affects the character of a person and makes him unsuitable for government office.
(E) is incorrect because she overlooked voters completely and responded to Mr Janeck as if he had said the following: "A businessman with no political experience should not be elected to such a responsible public office."
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 162
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2012, 09:30
6
Mr. Janeck: I don’t believe Stevenson will win the election for governor. Few voters are willing to elect a businessman with no political experience to such a responsible public office.
Ms. Siuzdak: You’re wrong. The experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government.
M. Siuzdak’s response shows that she has interpreted Mr. Janeck’s remark to imply which of the following?
(A) Mr. Janeck considers Stevenson unqualified for the office of governor.
(B) No candidate without political experience has ever been elected governor of a state.
(C) Mr. Janeck believes that political leadership and business leadership are closely analogous.
(D) A career spent in the pursuit of profit can be an impediment to one’s ability to run a state government fairly.
(E) Voters generally overestimate the value of political experience when selecting a candidate.
_________________

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2005
Posts: 188
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2010, 12:26
A - as Siuzdak thinks that Janeck is saying that Stevenson cannot be governor as he doenst have political experience and Siuzdak counters by saying running major corporation exp is somewhat of an experience to run for a politician and he is qualified.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2009
Posts: 23
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2010, 13:12
1
I am confused between A and E
_________________

kudos +1 ?

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Posts: 737
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2010, 05:50
Is it A?

Ms. J conclusion - Steve wont win.
Facts - Business person for a political job.

Ms. S conclusion - You are wrong (Steve will win).
Facts - An analogy is presented to support her claim.

A is simply reitrating Ms. S claim.


seekmba wrote:
Mr. Janeck: I don’t believe Stevenson will win the election for governor. Few voters are willing to elect a businessman with no political experience to such a responsible public office.
Ms. Siuzdak: You’re wrong. The experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government.

M. Siuzdak’s response shows that she has interpreted Mr. Janeck’s remark to imply which of the following?
(A) Mr. Janeck considers Stevenson unqualified for the office of governor.
(B) No candidate without political experience has ever been elected governor of a state.
(C) Mr. Janeck believes that political leadership and business leadership are closely analogous.
(D) A career spent in the pursuit of profit can be an impediment to one’s ability to run a state government fairly.
(E) Voters generally overestimate the value of political experience when selecting a candidate

_________________

Want to improve your CR: http://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: http://gmatclub.com/forum/50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: http://gmatclub.com/forum/key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 3
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2010, 10:11
Mr. Janeck: I don’t believe Stevenson will win the election for governor. Few voters are willing to elect a businessman with no political experience to such a responsible public office.
Ms. Siuzdak: You’re wrong. The experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government.
M. Siuzdak’s response shows that she has interpreted Mr. Janeck’s remark to imply which of the following?
(A) Mr. Janeck considers Stevenson unqualified for the office of governor.
(B) No candidate without political experience has ever been elected governor of a state.
(C) Mr. Janeck believes that political leadership and business leadership are closely analogous.
(D) A career spent in the pursuit of profit can be an impediment to one’s ability to run a state government fairly.
(E) Voters generally overestimate the value of political experience when selecting a candidate.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Posts: 737
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2010, 22:57
It's b/w A and D.

(D) A career spent in the pursuit of profit can be an impediment to one’s ability to run a state government fairly.

Ms. Siuzdak: You’re wrong [means Mr. J's conculsion is wrong]. The experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government.

Here, experience and valuable preparation doesnt indicate any impediment to running the govt. Rather these point indicate that Mr. S thought Mr. J is not suitable to the task.

pheonix wrote:
Mr. Janeck: I don’t believe Stevenson will win the election for governor. Few voters are willing to elect a businessman with no political experience to such a responsible public office.
Ms. Siuzdak: You’re wrong. The experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government.
M. Siuzdak’s response shows that she has interpreted Mr. Janeck’s remark to imply which of the following?
(A) Mr. Janeck considers Stevenson unqualified for the office of governor.
(B) No candidate without political experience has ever been elected governor of a state.
(C) Mr. Janeck believes that political leadership and business leadership are closely analogous.
(D) A career spent in the pursuit of profit can be an impediment to one’s ability to run a state government fairly.
(E) Voters generally overestimate the value of political experience when selecting a candidate.

_________________

Want to improve your CR: http://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: http://gmatclub.com/forum/50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: http://gmatclub.com/forum/key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2010
Posts: 31
Location: Vancouver, BC
Schools: Kellog, Haas, Ross, Yale
WE 1: R&D - Product Design
WE 2: EPC
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2010, 16:26
I feel that eliminating wrong answers may be the best way to go, leaving us with A as the best option out of the possible answers.

(A) Mr. Janeck considers Stevenson unqualified for the office of governor.

(B) No candidate without political experience has ever been elected governor of a state.
- Mr. J does not say this. He does imply that Many voters would not vote for a businessman with no political experience. What about a Lawyer with no political experience? This statement says No Candidate, regardless of previous work/career experience, has been elected without political experience.

(C) Mr. Janeck believes that political leadership and business leadership are closely analogous.
- Mr. J says the exact opposite

(D) A career spent in the pursuit of profit can be an impediment to one’s ability to run a state government fairly.
- This implies a bit much and could be argued that pursuit of profits could lead to a better run government or corruption. Either way out of scope.

(E) Voters generally overestimate the value of political experience when selecting a candidate.
- Mr. J does not speak for the voters, here he is giving his own reasoning and not that of general voters.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2010
Posts: 74
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2010, 22:40
I went with E .. Whats the OA? And explanations please..
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jun 2010
Posts: 201
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2010, 05:12
I went for D too...What is the OA?!?!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Sep 2009
Posts: 375
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2010, 20:14
A
C is opposite
E is too general. Cant use a general statement to prove a specific result.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Posts: 101
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2010, 20:54
I think its A, other choices are irrelevant
_________________

Trying to make CR and RC my strong points

"If you want my advice, Peter," he said at last, "you've made a mistake already. By asking me. By asking anyone. Never ask people. Not about your work. Don't you know what you want? How can you stand it, not to know?" Ayn Rand

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 297
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2011, 23:30
I got it as E as well.
But I can see why A is the answer.

BTW is this GMAT style or more LSAT style type of question?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2010
Posts: 259
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2012, 06:54
Hi Karishma,

Request you to explain the question stem. Is it Inference question or Method of Reasoning?

Also, Can we say that Option E would have been correct if question had asked for the assumption that Mr Janeck's argument making?
Thanks
H


VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
seekmba wrote:
Mr. Janeck: I don’t believe Stevenson will win the election for governor. Few voters are willing to elect a businessman with no political experience to such a responsible public office.
Ms. Siuzdak: You’re wrong. The experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government.

M. Siuzdak’s response shows that she has interpreted Mr. Janeck’s remark to imply which of the following?
(A) Mr. Janeck considers Stevenson unqualified for the office of governor.
(B) No candidate without political experience has ever been elected governor of a state.
(C) Mr. Janeck believes that political leadership and business leadership are closely analogous.
(D) A career spent in the pursuit of profit can be an impediment to one’s ability to run a state government fairly.
(E) Voters generally overestimate the value of political experience when selecting a candidate


It is a good idea to first read the question stem. It prepares you to analyze the stimulus according to the question. Plus, in a complicated question, you don't have to go back and read the entire stimulus again (part of SWIMMER strategy of Veritas)

Here I first read the question: Ms. Siuzdak’s response shows that she has interpreted Mr. Janeck’s remark to imply which of the following?
I see there are two speakers. I know that Ms. Siuzdak interprets Mr. Janeck’s remark to imply something. Great, lets go ahead and read the stimulus.

Mr Janeck talks about the unwillingness of voters to elect a businessman without political experience to such a position.

Ms Siuzdak says, "You are wrong." and goes on to elaborate how experience of running a business prepares one to run the government.

When I read Ms. Siuzdak's response, I think, "She is interpreting an implication in Mr Janeck's remark. What is it?"
It does strike me as odd that he only mentioned how voters feel. He did not say that Stevenson was unsuitable for office while Ms. Siuzdak tries to convince him why Stevenson is suitable. She doesn't say something like, "You are wrong. Voters understand that the experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government."

Now I look at the options. It is pretty clear that she interpreted that Mr Janeck believes Stevenson is not suitable for office. (A) is the correct answer.
(D) is incorrect. The issue is experience here. Not how profit chasing affects the character of a person and makes him unsuitable for government office.
(E) is incorrect because she overlooked voters completely and responded to Mr Janeck as if he had said the following: "A businessman with no political experience should not be elected to such a responsible public office."
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8810
Location: Pune, India
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2012, 07:51
2
imhimanshu wrote:
Hi Karishma,

Request you to explain the question stem. Is it Inference question or Method of Reasoning?

Also, Can we say that Option E would have been correct if question had asked for the assumption that Mr Janeck's argument making?
Thanks
H



It's kind of an inference question (not conclusion though, inference as we know it in RC). You have to infer what Ms S inferred from Mr J's statement.

Say, forget Mr J's statement. Think of only Ms S's statement.

Ms S says 'You are wrong. Running a business prepares you for running a state.'

What do you think someone would have said to make Ms S reply like this? Something on the lines of 'Running a business doesn't prepare you for running a state.' Right?

So Ms. S inferred that Mr J is saying that Stevenson will not win the election because running a business hasn't taught him how to run a state. i.e. option (A)

Also whether (E) is an assumption of Mr J's argument -
Look at Mr J argument closely:
Mr. Janeck: I don’t believe Stevenson will win the election for governor. Few voters are willing to elect a businessman with no political experience to such a responsible public office.

Premise: Few voters are willing to elect a businessman with no political experience to such a responsible public office. (Premises are assumed to be true)

Conclusion: I don’t believe Stevenson will win the election for governor.

Assumption: No one can win an election with few votes.
(An assumption links the stimulus with the conclusion)

Mr J doesn't make any assumptions about voters - do they overestimate political experience, underestimate business experience etc.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 129
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2012, 01:54
Was sure about A but picked E because of reference to voters which Mr. J introduces.

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation Karishma.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Feb 2010
Posts: 37
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2012, 19:55
I would vote for A. Here is my reasoning:
(A) Mr. Janeck considers Stevenson unqualified for the office of governor.
Correct. J doubts the experience (a businessman with no political experience) and qualification (a businessman) of the Steven. Clearly, J is not convinced about the qualifications of Steven.
(B) No candidate without political experience has ever been elected governor of a state.
An exaggerated answer. It is difficult to make out such an assumption from the given argument. After negating it, we get "At least one candidate without..". The argument does not provide any such information.
(C) Mr. Janeck believes that political leadership and business leadership are closely analogous.
Opposite Answer. J believes that a businessman need political experience to take part in the election for governor.
(D) A career spent in the pursuit of profit can be an impediment to one’s ability to run a state government fairly.
Exaggerated/Shell Game Answer. J believes that businessman can run for the post of a governor provided he has the political experience.
(E) Voters generally overestimate the value of political experience when selecting a candidate.
Voters are able to estimate correctly the value of political experience. "Few voters are willing to elect a businessman..."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2010
Posts: 297
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Reviews Badge
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2012, 11:53
Battle is between A & D

A is right choice here.
_________________

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2011
Posts: 33
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.4
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2012, 03:39
Hi SOURH7WK , can you explain why A win the battle against D ?
I think A is more obviously drawn from the premises but D often more tentative deeper reason for Ms. Siuzdak's response
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election &nbs [#permalink] 13 Aug 2012, 03:39

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 37 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.