GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2019, 08:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Mr. Janeck: I don't believe Stevenson will win the election for govern

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
Mr. Janeck: I don't believe Stevenson will win the election for govern  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 00:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

31% (01:33) correct 69% (01:53) wrong based on 85 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Competition Mode Question

Mr. Janeck: I don't believe Stevenson will win the election for governor. Few voters are willing to elect a businessman with no political experience to such a responsible public office.

Ms. Siuzdak: You're wrong. The experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government.

M. Siuzdak's response shows that she has interpreted Mr. Janeck's remark to imply which of the following?

A. Mr. Janeck considers Stevenson unqualified for the office of governor.
B. No candidate without political experience has ever been elected governor of a state.
C. Mr. Janeck believes that political leadership and business leadership are closely analogous.
D. A career spent in the pursuit of profit can be an impediment to one’s ability to run a state government fairly.
E. Voters generally overestimate the value of political experience when selecting a candidate.

S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don't believe Stevenson will win the election for govern  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 01:03
By POE I arrive at (A)

B. No candidate without political experience has ever been elected governor of a state. => There is no mention about background of past governors of state so we cannot say for sure that NO candidate w/o political experience has ever been elected .
C. Mr. Janeck believes that political leadership and business leadership are closely analogous. => This is completely opposite to what Mr. Janeck believes
D. A career spent in the pursuit of profit can be an impediment to one’s ability to run a state government fairly. => "A career spent in the pursuit of profit" is irrelevant here as they are talking about a businessman. Also, Janeck just doesn't believe Stevenson will win the election because few voters will favor a businessman with no political experience. He doesn't at all say either the business background or the career spent in the pursuit of profit is a barrier.
E. Voters generally overestimate the value of political experience when selecting a candidate. => "voters ... overstimate" is out of scope

So, we are left with (A) Mr. Janeck considers Stevenson unqualified for the office of governor.
This might seem obvious at first. But actually I think this is an easy inference from Mr Janeck's statement.
V
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don't believe Stevenson will win the election for govern  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 02:13
IMO A: is correct
Mr. Janeck considers Stevenson unqualified for the office of governor.

Mr. Janeck: I don't believe Stevenson will win the election for governor. Few voters are willing to elect a businessman with no political experience to such a responsible public office.

Ms. Siuzdak: You're wrong. The experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government.

M. Siuzdak's response shows that she has interpreted Mr. Janeck's remark to imply which of the following?

B. No candidate without political experience has ever been elected governor of a state.
C. Mr. Janeck believes that political leadership and business leadership are closely analogous.
D. A career spent in the pursuit of profit can be an impediment to one’s ability to run a state government fairly.
E. Voters generally overestimate the value of political experience when selecting a candidate.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ross '22, ISB '20, NUS '20
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 02:21
From the conversation we can conclude that........... Siuzdak interpreted Janeck’s remark to be suggesting that Stevenson was unqualified for the office of governor.............

OA:A
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 02:27
IMO, Ans is C

Mr.J says that few voters want to elect a businessman with no political experience.
So considers that business experience and political experience are different altogether.

Mr.S reiterates the same statement of Mr.J even though it starts with "youre wrong".
So Mr.S interpreted the opposite of what Mr.J said.

Option C says that Mr.J believes that political exp = business exp (which is the opposite of what Mr.J said)
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 05:19
Quote:

ARGUMENT
J believes that X won't be elected because few are willing to vote on one with few political experience;
S believes J is wrong, since X's experience running a business is invaluable for public office;
The main point J and S make are X's qualifications.

Ans (A)
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 04-30-2012
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 06:03
Its C to me - pretty straight forward
Director
Director
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 07:15
The right answer is option A.

From the response of Ms. Siuzdak, in which she concluded that Mr. Janeck is wrong. In her justification, she points out that running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government. Since the voters that Mr. Janeck refers to as unwilling to vote for a businessman without political experience are not available to listen to her argument, her points are obviously directed at him. The fact that the focus of her argument is to point out that Stevenson's experience as a businessman is vital, she assumes that Mr. Janeck does not believe that Stevenson is qualified for the office of a governor.

Option A says that Mr. Janeck considers Stevenson unqualified for the office of governor and this is in line with the above. Hence A has to be the interpretation that Ms. Siuzdak has for the comments of Mr. Janeck.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don't believe Stevenson will win the election for govern   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2019, 07:15

Mr. Janeck: I don't believe Stevenson will win the election for govern

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics