It is currently 17 Feb 2018, 15:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MS Business Analytics in Colorado

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
MS Business Analytics in Colorado [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2017, 17:27
Hi,

Thought this would be a good place to ask about my GMAT score!

I took the GMAT in October and got a 600 (37Q, 35V). Admittedly, I didn't really study for it, as I was applying for UC Denver's MS in Business Analytics and they had range of 510-570. I later realized that was for their MBA program. I got dinged specifically for my quant score, as stated in my rejection email.

I studied this time and, after getting 48Q on the last few GMATPrep practice exams, I ended up with a 43Q on the real exam, overall score 690 (43Q, 41V). I think it may have something to do with the last question, as I selected an answer but didn't hit next. I thought that would still count the submission based on other posts, but am hearing different things now. The main reason I think that is that I also got a 5 on IR and have never scored lower than a 7, even on my previous attempt, and the same thing happened on the last problem.

Anyways, onto my actual question. I'm only applying to local schools, as my GI Bill will pay for just about all of it and then some, and am only looking at Analytics programs. Do you think a 43Q would be considered too low of a score for a program that's not even close to top 10 or 20? A 670+ is a guaranteed $3,000 scholarship for tuition, but I'm paranoid because of being dinged for quant earlier.

My background: I served in the Marines for 5 years, then studied finance at NYU. After that, I worked at PwC and Goldman Sachs, biked across the country to raise money for affordable housing, and have now been a teacher for the last 4 years.
SVP
SVP
B
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Re: MS Business Analytics in Colorado [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 09:24
nat724,
Yes, I would be concerned about applying to top analytics programs with a 52nd percentile quant score. Did you work with a GMAT prep company? They can help. The rest of your profile looks great, so I would consider retaking the GMAT to give yourself more options. Feel free to send me your resume for a closer look: paul@admitify.com.
--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.admitify.com/testimonials

nat724 wrote:
Hi,

I took the GMAT in October and got a 600 (37Q, 35V). Admittedly, I didn't really study for it, as I was applying for UC Denver's MS in Business Analytics and they had range of 510-570. I later realized that was for their MBA program. I got dinged specifically for my quant score, as stated in my rejection email.

I studied this time and, after getting 48Q on the last few GMATPrep practice exams, I ended up with a 43Q on the real exam, overall score 690 (43Q, 41V). I think it may have something to do with the last question, as I selected an answer but didn't hit next. I thought that would still count the submission based on other posts, but am hearing different things now. The main reason I think that is that I also got a 5 on IR and have never scored lower than a 7, even on my previous attempt, and the same thing happened on the last problem.

Anyways, onto my actual question. I'm only applying to local schools, as my GI Bill will pay for just about all of it and then some, and am only looking at Analytics programs. Do you think a 43Q would be considered too low of a score for a program that's not even close to top 10 or 20? A 670+ is a guaranteed $3,000 scholarship for tuition, but I'm paranoid because of being dinged for quant earlier.

My background: I served in the Marines for 5 years, then studied finance at NYU. After that, I worked at PwC and Goldman Sachs, biked across the country to raise money for affordable housing, and have now been a teacher for the last 4 years.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 10:20
Thanks for the feedback! I didn't work with a GMAT prep company, but used the MGMAT material. I actually felt pretty good about the test, but I think I lost points for not hitting "next" on the last problem for both the IR and Quant section (I thought it was automatically counted, but am hearing otherwise now).

I'm not applying to any top analytics programs, just to local Colorado schools. I spoke with them this morning and they suggested I submit my unofficial scores and they'll review it, but seemed to think that my score was good for their applicant pool.
Expert Post
Admissionado
G
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 22:32
nat724 wrote:
Hi,

Well, your overall score will likely be enough to be honest. Yet, at the same time, given that you DO have time to study, why not do it? With the aim to boost your Quant score? It'll help lots. And who knows, you may come away with a 750 :) That could change things!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2017, 08:06
nat724 wrote:
Hi nat724, thanks for your question- I think having the 690 overall for the programs you are mentioning should be enough. That being said, if you think it is in you to get the Q score up even more, you might be able to reach even higher in this process. However, the MS in Business Analytics is a program that will definitely open up a new range of career options for you so if that is your goal I think you are on track here. If you don't need scholarships because this is already covered for you, then I'm not sure you need to work that strategy. But I do think the higher your GMAT Q- and especially for an analytics program- that could be beneficial in the recruiting part post degree also. Good luck to you!

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 04:44
That sounds great! If you get a favorable response and think you may need some guidance on the application, take a look at some of our free resources for help.

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let us know!

Re: MS Business Analytics in Colorado   [#permalink] 25 Mar 2017, 04:44

MS Business Analytics in Colorado

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap