GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Feb 2019, 15:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Choosing the Right B-School

February 20, 2019

February 20, 2019

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

Which MBA program is right for me? How can I find the best fit? An experienced senior consultant from our partner MBA admissions consulting firm, mbaMission, will help prospective MBAs understand the differences that exist among top MBA programs.
  • GMAT vs GRE - Insider Insights and Tips to Help You Decide

February 20, 2019

February 20, 2019

12:00 PM EST

01:00 PM EST

Planning to apply to business school? Don't know which standardized test to take? Noodle Pros experts will discuss the nitty gritty of the GMAT vs GRE. Monday, Feb. 11th at 12 PM and 7 PM ET

MSU Broad ($$) vs Schulich York

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
MSU Broad ($$) vs Schulich York  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 20:14
Hi,
I am an international student and have been recently admitted at both the schools. I have 6 years experience of working in Operations & technical Project management within the energy sector. Post-MBA my plan is to work in Operations consulting. I have these two offers at hand and will make a decision out of these two. Schulich in Canada and MSU Broad with 60% scholarship.

MSU Broad
Strengths: Good ranking in FT, Very strong in operations/supply chain, Big US Market (more opportunity), 60% Scholarship, fairly strong cohort, good companies visit campus, new building (so assuming better facilities)
Weaknesses: H1B Visa is challenging and risky, Location (East Lansing - not a major concern), no chances of getting PR/Citizenship
Conclusion: High-risk High-reward

Schulich
Strengths: 3-Year post-MBA work permit, easiest and shortest routes to PR/Citizenship, Based in Toronto, Well recognized in Canada due to the larger alumni base
Weakness: Significant dip in ranking, severe competition from Rotman & Ivey, Large batch size (relaxation in bringing in competitive candidates), highly competitive Canadian market (since small)
Conclusion: Low-risk, Low-reward

Evaluating the worst case situation, I would have to come back to my home country. Both programs are regional so they would have little impact here but in general, a US degree would be more valued. Whereas, Schulich would provide a fallback option to continue staying in NA even if something good doesn't come up early on.

Hoping to hear from everyone including experts bb billionaire on what is recommended based on the current economic/political situation.

PS: I was interviewed at some very strong schools such as Cornell, Emory, Mccombs but got waitlisted due to lower GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: MSU Broad ($$) vs Schulich York  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2019, 09:06
If you are looking at staying abroad and working there then Schulich is definitely a better option. Specially when you not only get 3 years extension but also chances of Getting PR/Citizenship.

azam777 wrote:
Hi,
I am an international student and have been recently admitted at both the schools. I have 6 years experience of working in Operations & technical Project management within the energy sector. Post-MBA my plan is to work in Operations consulting. I have these two offers at hand and will make a decision out of these two. Schulich in Canada and MSU Broad with 60% scholarship.

MSU Broad
Strengths: Good ranking in FT, Very strong in operations/supply chain, Big US Market (more opportunity), 60% Scholarship, fairly strong cohort, good companies visit campus, new building (so assuming better facilities)
Weaknesses: H1B Visa is challenging and risky, Location (East Lansing - not a major concern), no chances of getting PR/Citizenship

Schulich
Strengths: 3-Year post-MBA work permit, easiest and shortest routes to PR/Citizenship, Based in Toronto, Well recognized in Canada due to the larger alumni base
Weakness: Significant dip in ranking, severe competition from Rotman & Ivey, Large batch size (relaxation in bringing in competitive candidates), highly competitive Canadian market (since small)

Evaluating the worst case situation, I would have to come back to my home country. Both programs are regional so they would have little impact here but in general, a US degree would be more valued. Whereas, Schulich would provide a fallback option to continue staying in NA even if something good doesn't come up early on.

Hoping to hear from everyone including experts bb billionaire on what is recommended based on the current economic/political situation.

PS: I was interviewed at some very strong schools such as Cornell, Emory, Mccombs but got waitlisted due to lower GMAT.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mind is Everything, What we Think we Become.

Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
D
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2019, 09:10
azam777 wrote:
Hi,

MSU Broad

Schulich

Hello azam777

Congratulations on admission to both good schools :thumbup:

What is challenging/risky at MSU Broad ?

Only Visa ?

Well, if you think that is a problem, that would be problem for any school in US, that you may target.

Still you did apply there and elsewhere in US also, as we can see from your interviews.

The question is why ?

I would tell you why....you really want to go there...for reasons you described above.

I would disagree with your evaluation of upon graduation problems with visa in US.

I think that any good company would sort papers for you, once they hired you. :idea:

I would agree with your "strengths" evaluation of Schulich, especially with unique benefits regarding Canadian advantage of PR/Citizenship route and again disagree with your "weakness" description of Schulich.

You describe Schulich only in that way, since you compare them with Rotman and Ivey.

From that perspective, I can only conclude/guess you did apply there also.

I dont see you compare MSU Broad with Ross School of Business, University of Michigan ?

Why is that ?

Schulich is second best business school in Toronto. Period.

Schulich is exactly where it was.

Saying that Canadian market is highly competitive since it is small (I assume compared to US only) is nonsense, since you are going to find any job most easily in Canada...since they dont have enough population (especially qualified) :idea: therefore there is not enough competition for jobs.

Your worst case scenario also doesnt make sense, but nevermind.

Yes if you want to come back to your home country (wherever that may be) MSU Broad is maybe a better option.

If your goal is to secure that you will work/stay in North America, Schulich is safe and certain option, due Canadian laws and immigrant policy.

I can advise you and make some conclusions, but I believe there is no need.

I would say based on all info you provided your are inclined toward MSU Broad and this is where you should go, especially keeping in mind 60% scholarship they awarded you.

Good Luck with your high reward adventure :geek: :cool:

Your kudos are much appreciated

Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.97
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2019, 10:22
schulich is the better choice between them two :)

Why do we fall?...So we can learn to pick ourselves up again

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2019, 01:31
azam777 wrote:
Hi,

MSU Broad

Schulich

Hi azam777

Congrats for your admit.

I reached same conclusion of billionaire after I saw all those US school you have applied to.

Why did you apply to those schools if you see the H1B visa as obstacle? I think you believe in those schools. Otherwise, you would have applied to more Canadian schools.

Here a thought to search for, I know some students who penetrated the Canadian market after getting their MBA from US schools. Would your case be like them? You need to search somehow as it is case by case.

Good luck
GMAT Club Bot
Re: MSU Broad ($$) vs Schulich York   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2019, 01:31

MSU Broad ($$) vs Schulich York

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap