GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Feb 2019, 09:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • GMAT vs GRE - Insider Insights and Tips to Help You Decide

February 20, 2019

February 20, 2019

12:00 PM EST

01:00 PM EST

Planning to apply to business school? Don't know which standardized test to take? Noodle Pros experts will discuss the nitty gritty of the GMAT vs GRE. Monday, Feb. 11th at 12 PM and 7 PM ET
  • Choosing the Right B-School

February 20, 2019

February 20, 2019

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

Which MBA program is right for me? How can I find the best fit? An experienced senior consultant from our partner MBA admissions consulting firm, mbaMission, will help prospective MBAs understand the differences that exist among top MBA programs.

Multiple Admits (In Dilemma to finalize offers - Deposit are due soon)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.04
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Multiple Admits (In Dilemma to finalize offers - Deposit are due soon)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2018, 04:47
Hi Folks,
I am having a struggle deciding the schools I’ll be going to next year. I have 5.5 years of experience in upstream oil and gas operations in Pakistan. I have an undergrad in Chemical engineering and a GMAT of 650. Decent co-curricular's and academic grades.

Post-MBA I plan to work in Operations or Supply chain consulting. The geography is not much a vital concern (although it should be) but I would most certainly want to function outside the domestic market.

As of now, I have following offers:

1) Schulich Sep intake – (Need to deposit $ CAD 3000 reservation by 30th November) (FYI: was admitted in Jan intake but deferred to Sep due to personal reasons)
2) HEC Paris Sep intake – (Need to deposit 9000 Euros by 10th December)
3) Purdue Krannert with 50% Scholarship – (Need to $USD 2000 deposit by 2nd Dec)
4) SMU Cox with 40% Scholarship, I could potentially push for more – (Need to deposit $1000 USD by 2nd Dec)

Note:
Apart from these, I applied to 9 other schools:
Waitlisted at MSU Broad and rejected at rest (6 in the US and 2 in Canada)
I tried retaking GMAT, got the same score just the scaled score changed. I don't intend to apply to additional schools.

In terms of the above schools:
Schulich Pros: Central location, Easier routers to PR, 3-year post-MBA work visa.
Schulich Cons: Not much diversity, generally poor placement (comparison to Rotman/Ivey).

HEC Paris Pros: Strong brand name, highly diverse, massive alumni based, good placements.
HEC Paris cons: Language barrier.

Purdue: In the US which is a big market, strong placement in supply chain & operations, offered a scholarship.
Cons: Relatively poor rank (not much known for its MBA), H1B visa could be a challenge.

SMU Cox: In Dallas (huge market that will continue to grow), good placement in consulting (Big four/boutique firms), offered scholarship
Cons: Same as Purdue

I need advice from the experts or folks who’ve been through a similar Dilemma. Would be really helpful to finalize decisions as the deadlines for securing places would be coming up soon.

CC: bb billionaire
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Multiple Admits (In Dilemma to finalize offers - Deposit are due soon)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2018, 05:39
Do you want to be in EU, CA, or USA? Those are the biggest questions and you should research Visa prospects in all of those places. But if you don't care or don't want to do the research, then I would say go the program with the least burden since none of these will guarantee a job or a visa.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
D
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member
Re: Multiple Admits (In Dilemma to finalize offers - Deposit are due soon)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2018, 17:35
TA89 wrote:
Hi Folks,
I am having a struggle deciding the schools I’ll be going to next year. I have 5.5 years of experience in upstream oil and gas operations in Pakistan. I have an undergrad in Chemical engineering and a GMAT of 650. Decent co-curricular's and academic grades.

Post-MBA I plan to work in Operations or Supply chain consulting. The geography is not much a vital concern (although it should be) but I would most certainly want to function outside the domestic market.

As of now, I have following offers:

1) Schulich Sep intake – (Need to deposit $ CAD 3000 reservation by 30th November) (FYI: was admitted in Jan intake but deferred to Sep due to personal reasons)
2) HEC Paris Sep intake – (Need to deposit 9000 Euros by 10th December)
3) Purdue Krannert with 50% Scholarship – (Need to $USD 2000 deposit by 2nd Dec)
4) SMU Cox with 40% Scholarship, I could potentially push for more – (Need to deposit $1000 USD by 2nd Dec)

Note:
Apart from these, I applied to 9 other schools:
Waitlisted at MSU Broad and rejected at rest (6 in the US and 2 in Canada)
I tried retaking GMAT, got the same score just the scaled score changed. I don't intend to apply to additional schools.

In terms of the above schools:
Schulich Pros: Central location, Easier routers to PR, 3-year post-MBA work visa.
Schulich Cons: Not much diversity, generally poor placement (comparison to Rotman/Ivey).

HEC Paris Pros: Strong brand name, highly diverse, massive alumni based, good placements.
HEC Paris cons: Language barrier.

Purdue: In the US which is a big market, strong placement in supply chain & operations, offered a scholarship.
Cons: Relatively poor rank (not much known for its MBA), H1B visa could be a challenge.

SMU Cox: In Dallas (huge market that will continue to grow), good placement in consulting (Big four/boutique firms), offered scholarship
Cons: Same as Purdue

I need advice from the experts or folks who’ve been through a similar Dilemma. Would be really helpful to finalize decisions as the deadlines for securing places would be coming up soon.

CC: bb billionaire

Hello TA89

Congrats on admission to 4 good schools :thumbup:

There is no point of informing us about your GMAT score, we are talking here about choosing between existing admission offers.

I guess you mention that, although it is visible to us from your profile anyway, in order to maybe help us to evaluate your chance at MSU, but that is not going to be deciding factor for sure.

For the same reason your background is not that relevant here, we are talking now about your future in Operations or Supply chain consulting.

I don't know why diversity is your concern at all ?

Schulich is usually perceived as second best school in Ontario or Toronto and among top in Canada, so you should not compare it versus Rotman/Ivey and count that as weakness, same way you would not compare Purdue Krannert and SMU Cox with Harvard or their local counterparts (for instance Kelley and McCombs).

You should compare only between schools that accepted you.

Schulich certainly does not have poor placement, more can be found here :

http://schulich.yorku.ca/wp-content/upl ... LOWRES.pdf

https://www.f1gmat.com/schulich-mba-cur ... ent-trends

Canadian visa/immigration opportunities are not going to be matched by other offers, if that is critically important to you then Schulich wins.

I would agree with all HEC Paris pros mentioned and would advise you to go there if you are interested in working in Europe afterwards.

I would put Purdue and SMU in same type of basket as offers, overall Purdue is stronger brand and turns out to be even highly ranked for Supply chain specialization :

https://aringo.com/mba-supply-chain-man ... alization/

To my surprise Michigan State University is ranked as number 1 in Operations and Supply Chain category, probably as being first mover, as the very first school to start the supply chain management degree historically, so I do understand why you want to go there, Purdue again is on 11. place in extended US news rankings below :

https://www.collegechoice.net/rankings/ ... t-degrees/

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... s-rankings

Unique to Michigan State’s program is the Center for On Demand Supply Chain Management.

Verdict :

Michigan State University should be your first choice, if they accept you.

Purdue should be your first choice if everything remains constant.

If visa is your biggest fear, Schulich comes as clear and after all good choice.

HEC is great school, comes ahead only if you are particularly interested in working/living in Europe.

Good Luck with decision ! :cool:

Your kudos are much appreciated

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.04
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Multiple Admits (In Dilemma to finalize offers - Deposit are due soon)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 11:21
God works in spectacular ways. I have been admitted at Broad with a generous scholarship and I have taken that offer forward.

billionaire thank you for addressing this in such detail. Also, this shall most likely be my last post on this forum, this MBA journey has been an exceptional roller coaster ride. So many people to thank to on this amazing forum !!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 18:49
Congrats for your admit to broad.
All the best for your future endeavors.

TA89 wrote:
God works in spectacular ways. I have been admitted at Broad with a generous scholarship and I have taken that offer forward.

billionaire thank you for addressing this in such detail. Also, this shall most likely be my last post on this forum, this MBA journey has been an exceptional roller coaster ride. So many people to thank to on this amazing forum !!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mind is Everything, What we Think we Become.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2019, 13:15
Hec is the best option for you and your future of course

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Multiple Admits (In Dilemma to finalize offers - Deposit are due soon)   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2019, 13:15

Multiple Admits (In Dilemma to finalize offers - Deposit are due soon)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap