Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Re: My Chances [#permalink]
You are fortunate to be in the city with the best Executive MBA Program in the nation.

Given you scored a 700+ GMAT, I would say you are competitive for Wharton’s Executive MBA Program (https://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mbaexecutive/) in Philadelphia. I have worked with many applicants with similar profiles who have been successful at gaining admission to the program. Feel free to contact me at Michael@mbaprepadvantage.com.

Good luck and enjoy your weekend,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
demosthenes810 wrote:
Just looking for some feedback on my chances and right expectations with regard to B-school opportunities.

I am a US citizen recently turned 31, GMAT 720 pretty evenly split, poor GPA in undergrad (like 2.6) with some Fs/Ws (was busy working at a successful startup) - I was double majored in Math and Computer Science, current job is Senior Director at Oracle. I have led teams and organizations as large as 75 people. I have been a software engineer, a sales consultant, director of offshore development living overseas, technical lead for IT implementations that we did at large financial companies and various other roles in my career since 2005. Only 2 companies in my history but very varied roles in both with clear path of consistently being promoted/more responsibility.

I am obviously concerned with regard to my undergrad grades but wondering if perhaps some schools value work experience and GMAT more vs GPA, and thus might make sense as better targets. To be honest my career is going quite well outside of that and I am unlikely to want to drop my good six figure salary for the time period, so also wondering if part time/online opportunities are at all worthwhile in this situation. Goal is to expand my knowledge base, prepare better for the next career level which would be VP or potentially step out and do something new with a good team.

Your GMAT score is good. I assume you will have 9 years of experience by the time of enrolment. This is on a higher side. You need to have a strong reason if you are aiming for a full-time MBA. As you are inclined towards executive MBA, I am not a big fan of executive MBA. I havent seen many people changing their careers dramatically after their MBA. If you want to grow your career in your current organization or your current industry, an executive MBA is good enough. It is very difficult to change your career with an executive MBA program. You might want to explore the executive MBA programs at top schools (Chicago Booth, Columbia EMBA Global, Haas, etc).

Having said that, a part time MBA program totally depends on your requirements and flexibility.
1. Your future aspirations( If you want to continue in your field post MBA or choose a new one)
2. Flexibility of your job ( Weekend, evening classes to be adjusted with your work timings)
3. Finances ( Costs less than a normal MBA and you can continue your job)
4. Network ( Your social and professional networks will be limited as you won’t spend as much time as you can for a normal program)
5. Fee reimbursement ( You can ask your employer to sponsor your program, given if you committed your future with them)
If you can manage all these key points you can target part time programs; almost all the top schools offer them. Good luck.

Good luck!
https://www.interviewbay.com
GMAT Club Bot