Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 07:08 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 07:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13397 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Re: My chances? Part Qualified Accountant [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ja2894as wrote:
Hi

Looking to understand what my chances are.
I'm a South Asian female and working in London at a Big 4 for the past 4 years in the Audit practice. I haven't managed to qualify for the Chartered Accountancy qualification (ACA) yet, with about 3 exams pending. I am planning on quitting my training contract and giving these final few exams by myself privately. At the same time I am planning on applying to MBA programs and also taking the GMAT. Given I'm part qualified and have ~4 years of pre-qualification experience, realistically what are my chances? I have progressed in my role during my time at the firm but with the exams not fully passed yet, recently progression has become stagnant, which is why I want to focus on passing exams for a bit.

Background: top 5 UK university, majored in Economics, 3.4 GPA, number of ECAs at work and uni

Hey ja2894as,

Before I start with your profile evaluation, I’d like to clarify that other than the work experience and your academics, there are lots of factors like your extracurriculars, social volunteering activities, and achievements that play an important role in your chance acceptance and thus getting an admit from the top schools.

That said, you have provided limited information for me to give you an accurate estimation of your chances in a top-notch business school. Having said that, let’s begin with your profile evaluation.

From the first look into your academic background, a GPA of 3.4 showcases your academic prowess which coupled with your international exposure will help differentiate you from the crowd. Most schools are looking to add diversity to their cohort and your background gives you a unique perspective which definitely provides a valuable addition to their program. Moreover, the brand of your undergraduate college - ranking among the top 5 colleges in the UK, gives your profile a boost as schools tend to pick out applicants from the top schools of each country.

Furthermore, the fact that you’ve partly cleared your Chartered Accountancy further adds to the unique aspect of your profile and therefore will differentiate you from the rest of the cohort.

As for your GMAT, a minimum of 690+ is what you should be targeting in order to bag an admit into top business schools.

Moving forward, since an MBA is a manager's degree and requires significant work experience, your 4 years of work experience would put you at par with other applicants. In order to stand out from the crowd, you most certainly should focus on your leadership roles and major projects of your work and how these experiences helped to develop and further groom your skills and knowledge.

Moreover, the presence of a big 4 brand in your CV is an added feather to your hat as you will be competing against a pool of applicants hailing from similar backgrounds. Here, showcasing your journey and the learnings gathered through this experience would allow you to differentiate yourself and thereby gain an upper hand with equally competent profiles with extensive work experience hailing from equally competitive backgrounds.

On the basis of the insufficient information that you have provided, here is an estimation of schools you can be targeting:

Dream - HEC, INSEAD, LBS, NYU
Competitive - ESSEC, ESCP, Imperial, WHU, FSFM
Safe - Edhec, Grenoble, Skema

On this note, while you have a competitive profile, to increase your chances of getting admitted to these schools you would need to ensure that you have a very strong application (consisting of - Essays, LORs, and Resume) that highlights your strengths and overshadows your weaknesses in order to differentiate your profile. You need to showcase your journey, what makes you different from your peers, and how you are a great value addition to the school.

Therefore, in lieu of that, I would recommend you to check out our flagship ALL-IN-ONE service, which has helped 3500+ applicants get into their dream schools. Through this, you would also be entitled to end-to-end consulting combined with unlimited edits on your application documents. Not only this, you’d be consulted by a B-school alumnus throughout the journey - right from shortlisting schools to bagging scholarships!

Link to our All-In-One Solution-

https://www.mim-essay.com/mim-all-in-one

Hope this helped!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MiMEssay wrote:
ja2894as wrote:
Hi

Looking to understand what my chances are.
I'm a South Asian female and working in London at a Big 4 for the past 4 years in the Audit practice. I haven't managed to qualify for the Chartered Accountancy qualification (ACA) yet, with about 3 exams pending. I am planning on quitting my training contract and giving these final few exams by myself privately. At the same time I am planning on applying to MBA programs and also taking the GMAT. Given I'm part qualified and have ~4 years of pre-qualification experience, realistically what are my chances? I have progressed in my role during my time at the firm but with the exams not fully passed yet, recently progression has become stagnant, which is why I want to focus on passing exams for a bit.

Background: top 5 UK university, majored in Economics, 3.4 GPA, number of ECAs at work and uni

Hey ja2894as,

Before I start with your profile evaluation, I’d like to clarify that other than the work experience and your academics, there are lots of factors like your extracurriculars, social volunteering activities, and achievements that play an important role in your chance acceptance and thus getting an admit from the top schools.

That said, you have provided limited information for me to give you an accurate estimation of your chances in a top-notch business school. Having said that, let’s begin with your profile evaluation.

From the first look into your academic background, a GPA of 3.4 showcases your academic prowess which coupled with your international exposure will help differentiate you from the crowd. Most schools are looking to add diversity to their cohort and your background gives you a unique perspective which definitely provides a valuable addition to their program. Moreover, the brand of your undergraduate college - ranking among the top 5 colleges in the UK, gives your profile a boost as schools tend to pick out applicants from the top schools of each country.

Furthermore, the fact that you’ve partly cleared your Chartered Accountancy further adds to the unique aspect of your profile and therefore will differentiate you from the rest of the cohort.

As for your GMAT, a minimum of 690+ is what you should be targeting in order to bag an admit into top business schools.

Moving forward, since an MBA is a manager's degree and requires significant work experience, your 4 years of work experience would put you at par with other applicants. In order to stand out from the crowd, you most certainly should focus on your leadership roles and major projects of your work and how these experiences helped to develop and further groom your skills and knowledge.

Moreover, the presence of a big 4 brand in your CV is an added feather to your hat as you will be competing against a pool of applicants hailing from similar backgrounds. Here, showcasing your journey and the learnings gathered through this experience would allow you to differentiate yourself and thereby gain an upper hand with equally competent profiles with extensive work experience hailing from equally competitive backgrounds.

On the basis of the insufficient information that you have provided, here is an estimation of schools you can be targeting:

Dream - HEC, INSEAD, LBS, NYU
Competitive - ESSEC, ESCP, Imperial, WHU, FSFM
Safe - Edhec, Grenoble, Skema

On this note, while you have a competitive profile, to increase your chances of getting admitted to these schools you would need to ensure that you have a very strong application (consisting of - Essays, LORs, and Resume) that highlights your strengths and overshadows your weaknesses in order to differentiate your profile. You need to showcase your journey, what makes you different from your peers, and how you are a great value addition to the school.

Therefore, in lieu of that, I would recommend you to check out our flagship ALL-IN-ONE service, which has helped 3500+ applicants get into their dream schools. Through this, you would also be entitled to end-to-end consulting combined with unlimited edits on your application documents. Not only this, you’d be consulted by a B-school alumnus throughout the journey - right from shortlisting schools to bagging scholarships!

Link to our All-In-One Solution-

https://www.mim-essay.com/mim-all-in-one

Hope this helped!

Thank you so much, this is super comprehensive! Definitely checking out your services as I believe I would benefit. Just out of curiosity which bracket would you say SAID and Judge fall into? (Dream Reach Safe)

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot