GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2018, 07:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My crazy GMAT experience- Please share your thoughts

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
My crazy GMAT experience- Please share your thoughts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 08:16
Hi Everyone
I had my GMAT exam yesterday and results were shocking to say the least.

Let me give you a little background. I am an engineer with a masters degree in mechanical and aerospace engineering from Rutgers University. For Rutgers grad school, I had to take GRE few years ago and got 85 percentile score.

5 years forward, I am planning to do MBA so I decided to take GMAT. I took a pre preparation CAT and got 580. I am fairly disappointed. So I started studying 2-3 hours a weekday and 8-10 hours each day on a weekend for about two months. I used Kaplan, Manhattan Prep and Barons books. With every passing week, I would take CAT using different sources (Kaplan, Veritas, GMAT software etc, in all I took about 20 practice tests).

After 2 weeks of prep my score raised to 600 and it kept raising till last week when I started scoring in the range of 680-700. I was satisfied with these results as I wanted to do part time MBA and the schools I was focusing, this range was good.

Yesterday was my test day. I took the test. During the math section, few questions made me uncomfortable rest were smooth. English I felt like I was doing really well.

Anyway, after the test, my score came in. I scored 530 , LOL, 44 percentile in quant and 20 something percentile in verbal.

I have no idea how to explain this. I am not here to complain, just want to understand what happened, or rather, how is that even possible? has anyone ever experienced this?
I highly doubt I will take the exam again because after intense prep and practice tests I was averaging 700 anyway so I don't know what else can I do differently. Any thoughts would be appreciated :)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesMagoosh Discount Codese-GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
B
Affiliations: Harvard University
Re: My crazy GMAT experience- Please share your thoughts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 09:16
Sorry to hear about your disappointing results. I've found that the best thing one can do if this happens is to take a class with an actual instructor next time, versus studying yourself from videos and books. In my opinion the actual physical classes are harder, and you'll get more personal insight and attention.

I suggest you do try again and don't give up, as it sounds like you were well prepared, but a private instructor or class often helps as it sometimes changes way you were/are learning, and that could make a big difference at test time.

Good luck!

I'm a former Harvard admissions interviewer and Harvard grad, and currently run the award-winning MBA & EMBA admission firm and blog: http://www.MBAIvyLeague.com. Check out the blog and contact me for a free consultation today!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
My crazy GMAT experience- Please share your thoughts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 09:19
Hi. That's quite annoying.... something went wrong for some reason.
What practice tests were you taking. What were your GMAT Prep results? Were they 680+?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 09:38
Hi. I can feel your pain, but here's a few basic questions.

1. When you say you have used material from Kaplan, Manhattan Prep, and Barron's (did I read that right? Their GMAT material is sketchy at best), what do you really mean? Do you mean you just solved questions, or read the content coursework?

2. Which practice tests were you taking?

3. How did you review your tests?

If you have some detailed answers to these questions, we will be able to help you!

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
S
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Erasmus '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V36
GPA: 2.8

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 10:09
hasanarshad wrote:
Hi Everyone
I had my GMAT exam yesterday and results were shocking to say the least.

Let me give you a little background. I am an engineer with a masters degree in mechanical and aerospace engineering from Rutgers University. For Rutgers grad school, I had to take GRE few years ago and got 85 percentile score.

5 years forward, I am planning to do MBA so I decided to take GMAT. I took a pre preparation CAT and got 580. I am fairly disappointed. So I started studying 2-3 hours a weekday and 8-10 hours each day on a weekend for about two months. I used Kaplan, Manhattan Prep and Barons books. With every passing week, I would take CAT using different sources (Kaplan, Veritas, GMAT software etc, in all I took about 20 practice tests).

After 2 weeks of prep my score raised to 600 and it kept raising till last week when I started scoring in the range of 680-700. I was satisfied with these results as I wanted to do part time MBA and the schools I was focusing, this range was good.

Yesterday was my test day. I took the test. During the math section, few questions made me uncomfortable rest were smooth. English I felt like I was doing really well.

Anyway, after the test, my score came in. I scored 530 , LOL, 44 percentile in quant and 20 something percentile in verbal.

I have no idea how to explain this. I am not here to complain, just want to understand what happened, or rather, how is that even possible? has anyone ever experienced this?
I highly doubt I will take the exam again because after intense prep and practice tests I was averaging 700 anyway so I don't know what else can I do differently. Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

Hi there,

Actually 2 months ago I had experienced a similar situation with you, I scored 650+ on my preps and scored 530 on the real test (23Q, 38V). I can really feel your pain there, I feel that I do not want to take the GMAT ever again when I saw that score. After a few days, I decided that I cannot give up as my future is at stake and took a retest a month later and scored a 660, I got (47Q, 35V). I am not entirely satisfied with that score as I am looking for 680+ and considered for another test, but at the very least it restored my confidence.

Here is my personal experience on the day I got that 530 score. I was extremely nervous and thus unable to think properly, I realized I made a lot of mistakes on the 1st 10 questions on the Quant, since then the test only gave me 500-600 level questions and I still got them wrong anyway. I only have 2 hrs of sleep at the time because the thought of the test bothered the hell out of me.

Your preps scores are actually your real potential as it does not involve as much nerves as the real test and is actually a better indicator without any regard in emotional factor of the test taker. Looking at your prep scores, I am sure that you are actually capable on getting your target scores. Please note that the closest prep software to the real test is only GMATprep with Manhattan as the second best in my opinion. I hope this encourages you!

Sent from my SM-G935F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 15:57
Hi hasanarshad,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 17:27
such a poor initial mock test indicates a poor understanding of concepts. the issue then becomes, can you gasp the concepts.

i will admit 530 is a very low score if you were scoring 680-700. maybe it was a bad test. it wouldn't surprise me the least if you retook the test today and got a 630 (100 point increase). but to get to 700 or close to it, you need a fairly good gasp of the basic concepts.

anyone can score low initially, then memorize a bunch of problems and score 700 on mocks. keep in mind the GMAT test makers continuously browse test prep material and design their questions so overlap is at a minimum.
Re: My crazy GMAT experience- Please share your thoughts   [#permalink] 21 May 2017, 17:27

My crazy GMAT experience- Please share your thoughts

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR JUNE
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Free Full GMAT video course, 100% free
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap