Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [10]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 360 Q6 V31
GMAT 2: 600 Q44 V29
GMAT 3: 630 Q47 V30
GMAT 4: 560 Q45 V23
GMAT 5: 580 Q47 V23
GMAT 6: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.9
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4120 [1]
Given Kudos: 1851
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 22065 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: My GMAT Journey: All 8 times!! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Sivatorne,

I know you did not hit your final score goal, but your study should inspire others. The fact that you stuck with the GMAT for so many years speaks volumes about you! In other words, I see great things happening for you in the future.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [1]
Given Kudos: 242
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
My GMAT Journey: All 8 times!! [#permalink]
Kudos
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:

By the way, if you contact GMAC and say that your target schools all require a GMAT score higher than you have achieved so far, they will likely give you one more shot at the GMAT. If you do get another shot, don't take it until it's clear that you are ready to score 700+.

That’s a golden piece of advice, Marty!

Posted from my mobile device
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sivatorne - Congratulations on your incredible journey and progress! It's clear that you have faced many challenges and obstacles. Let me start by saying that people. In my experience, people who get ahead in life are not those who start at the top or excel at the very beginning of their journey but those who have an insatiable energy, drive and determination to keep pushing forward. Your story suggests that you possess that. So clearly, you possess a critical gene of the needed success genome. Having said that, it is clear that something is missing.

What do your scores suggest?

There is one thing that you need to remember - Success on the GMAT requires both Core Abilities in various subsections and Test Readiness. Your score fluctuations suggest that while you possess the core abilities, you may have lacked in test readiness. Test readiness includes factors such as time management, test-taking strategies, and mental preparation.

Lack of test readiness can limit a student's performance, even if they have excellent abilities. Below is an example of a student who despite excellent abilities, scored 640, but was able to improve to 760 within 20 days by working on his test readiness skills.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/my-tryst-wit ... 05331.html

What I am trying to say is that when you look at this student, you would look at 760-scorer and say that he is smart. At the same time, even he stumbled on the GMAT on his second attempt. It is possible that you would have scored much higher had you gotten the right test readiness inputs.

Bottom line – treat the GMAT as just a test. Clearly, you need to do something with regard to how efficiently you have studied. But a lack of a 700-score does not make you any less smart. In fact, your journey suggests that you possess a key trait – a trait to be singularly focused and never give up. Now, your outcomes will improve if you add/enhance the following traits – introspection and planning.

I hope it helps.

-Rajat
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Wow Sivatorne! I am sorry to hear about your journey outcome and not reaching your goal :(

(I do think going from 360 to 640 is a huge bump of 280 points - it is VERY hard to increase by more than 150 points and over 200 is REALLY hard so going up 280, even if it is to 640, still deserves a huge credit and recognition. It is not how tall we are, but how much we have grown and I can say that you have learned, mastered, and improve more than 99.99% of GMAT Club users. I am sorry it is still short of the averages of the bschools but it is a celebration, pride, and standing tall).

In terms of options, this year is an interesting year for applicants. Many schools have found their ranks to be a bit slimmer than the year before and the year before their ranks were slimmer than the year before. You get the picture. Is it possible for you to apply for a test waiver? A number of schools may be inclined, esp for someone from Europe since many of the European applicants pursue a Masters degree instead of an MBA...

P.S. What you have learned and mastered in the GMAT journey will still be valuable even if you apply with a waiver. So many people today don't know what it means to work hard for something and they don't know what it means or how to start. The hard work you put into the GMAT will help you in recruiting, in classes, and many other projects!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
Kudos
Sivatorne , first of all I know that no matter what I (or anyone else) say, you will feel a bit disappointed. I get this. So from this place of understanding you, all I'm going to say is that you are going to do very well in the future.

I am in a similar situation; been studying for the GMAT for a longer time - since May 2020 - and I can relate to, pretty much, everything you said. Especially this quote got me :
Quote:
"I feel like I am finally free from GMAT. I think without this the limit on the number of attempts, I would have kept going. I probably just needed some reasons that forcefully stop me."

I agree with all of your recommendations, tips, mistakes mentioned, etc. as I feel the same...

Now, for the question that I myself contemplate about and struggle with:
Quote:
So I guess I was extremely inefficient preparing for GMAT and putting a lot of "wrong" effort (?) I was wondering if anyone could advise me as to how it is possible that someone, who was quite dedicated to the exam, can end up not hitting even 650. Am I probably just a super inefficient learner? Is my brain flawed in some way or part of it not isn't functioning well?
Ok, it might sound like a silly question. If you are extremely bad at GMAT like myself, what can you possibly be good at? My point is I just want to know how I end up like this. If anyone has met someone like me or is familiar with these topics, it would be much much appreciated if you could share your thoughts with me.

So buddy, if you are like me, there is a good chance that (and you mentioned it) you grew up, lacking some skills. In my case it was stopping paying attention in math class in 3rd grade, and that really caused me to stay behind for many many years that I simply gave up and didn't care anymore.
-What am I trying to say here? That changing a habit takes a LOT of time. So, if I stopped to pay attention in math classes since 3rd grade and as a result I have been behind for more than 15 years, it will take a LOT of time to change this habit. This is why the GMAT can be difficult for people like me for instance.

Another thing that has nothing to do with math/english/critical thinking is the way your brain functions in general, how you act, how you just go about things in general. For example, do you know those people who keep forgetting things so they go back and forth to the same place many times? Like, say you need to grab several things from the kitchen (salt, paper towels, water, etc...) and you start doing trips to the kitchen.
-What am I trying to say here? Those people are likely, but not necessarily, to have a hard time excelling at an exam like the GMAT because they are all over the place, not organized, not thinking efficiently.

Another thing (and I'll stop here, I think you got the gist of it) is your mental capacity/ability .. let's just call it this way. What do I mean by that? Say you are constantly destructed by things during your studying: phone, TV, notifications, etc... let's face it - it sucks to study for the GMAT while it's quite fun to be destructed by these things. Your mental capacity/ability comes into play here by you shutting your brain off and focusing ONLY on the GMAT. But it's hard, right? Well, you can start incorporating mediation into your life and this might help.
-My point here, again? It has nothing to do with your math/english skills, but something else...

So... what am I trying to say altogether? I think that although your target score has not been met (and yes, it sucks), you should look at the half full glass. Having improved your score by SO much is evidence for you that you are on the right track to success. If anything, it shows that you were (and are) able to work on many many parts in your brain and improve them. This is a POSITIVE sign. If anything, you are becoming more efficient. And I know, it sounds slightly counterintuitive because your scores somewhat show that you have not been efficient. Yet, we don't all have the same starting point. If your situation is sorta like mine, then you should see your GMAT progress as an improvement to your life. To be honest, if I were you I would have still kept on preparing for the GMAT but not for the purpose of retaking the exam, but for the purpose of improving yourself and becoming more efficient. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Now that you don't have the stress anymore, just use this GMAT as a resource for becoming more efficient in your work and life. Don't stop HERE.

And again, what you have shown to everybody here man is that you've got courage, strong mentality, and that you are stubborn. That's something to be proud of.

I'll sign off by saying that there is not way you are giving up and that you are going to achieve success in life. Everyone here has told you that !

Thanks for sharing, I appreciate you.

All the best buddy :please: :heart
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
gmatophobia
Thank you very much for your comment.
I believe that I will eventually connect the dots, and I am already starting to feel like I am ready for some next challenge, thanks to the comments like yours.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
MartyTargetTestPrep
Thank you very much for your comment and for your suggestions.
I didn't know that the 9th attempt can be possible, but whether I will go for the 9th one or not, I will definitely need to change my habit and to understand those "nuances".
I am going to read the article. Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep
Thank you very much.
I could not be happier if my story can inspire others in any way.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
egmat
Thank you very much for your comment.
During my prep, I started to realise to some degree that introspection is one of the areas I needed to work on.
I hope I can take it into account and work on it during my next journey.
Thanks a lot for your support once again!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb
Thank you very much for your comments and for your kind words.
Even after my GMAT journey, I have been encouraged to move forward as quickly as possibly by people in this community !!
That's why I really like the community you created and cannot thank you enough for that.
And I will definitely consider a test waiver. And now I feel like I don't need to feel ashamed of sharing my story during recruiting.
Thank you once again.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HWPO
Thank you very much for your response.
Wow it's really good to know that there is someone out there who is or was on the same boat. I appreciate the fact that you understand me well!!

And in my case, it was probably that I had no idea what reasoning is and how to think critically, until very late in my career, and I am still not good at it. I read sometimes here that some people like thinking critically since they were young. And like you said, now I know that it takes really a lot of time of change habits. And you've got to work on it consistently without taking a break otherwise you will be pushed back to your old habit and have to start the process almost from the scratch again and again...
Thanks for your suggestion as well. And I like how you said that you should see yours GMAT progress as an improvement to your life. This really motivate me a lot!!

Once again, thanks a lot for sharing your own story!! It's really valuable for me to be shared with stories like yours!
And if you are still on the journey, I wish you all the best to get your desired score and to be successful in the future.
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I've added this debrief to this post on The Biggest GMAT Score Increases.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
My GMAT Journey: All 8 times!! [#permalink]
Hi Sivatorne,
I can only imagine your frustration and truly feel sorry. I was pretty much on same boat with you when ı started gmat 1,5 years ago ( ı started with a 590 from a non-official test and after studying for 3 months ı scored the same!). Looking at your Q / V breakdown ı can say that you lack fundamental quant skills and maybe a little bit verbal skills. I am going to be honest gmat is not an exam where someone can just "study" and achieve results. GMAT demands STRONG fundamental skills both in verbal and quant. I graduated from engineering and in high school ı was in STEM so GMAT quant questions were not really an issue for me as ı already had decent quant skills. However ı finished entire TTP and solved thousands of quant questions just to be as ironclad as possible at quant! However my main issue was and still is verbal...I am non-native and my education language was not english. My whole conversation skills came from movies ı watched & games ı played. So what ı did was to take a grammar book study it just to build my grammar afterwards ı signed with TTP and spent a very very long time on SC questions and basic grammar just to build my skills...Also note that you have to have strong "logic" and "reading" skills so ı have been practicing RC questions from OG and LSAT and ı have been reading lots of articles from economist for the past 1.5 years. Also I can confidently suggest you to partake in "butler" initiative in gmatclub as it will help you to write your own answers as if you are tutoring someone and to build your own way of thinking. I know you spent thousands of hours you probably know most of what ı stated...but please bear in mind that it may very well be your fundamental skills that are dragging you down. I also spent maybe a thousand hour just to build my skills...An after all what ı did, in verbal, ı still severely struggle... If you want to talk pm me and we can discuss further...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
Many schools have found their ranks to be a bit slimmer than the year before and the year before their ranks were slimmer than the year before.

Hey bb, what do you mean by the schools ranks were slimmer? I'm not familiar with that expression, hope you can elaborate. Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts