GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 13:04

Oct 15

Darden EA Calls have started. Join the Darden Chat or Darden Forum Discussion or Darden Decision Tracker

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

My GMAT Journey: from high 600s to ... TBD

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 3.5
WE: Law (Investment Banking)
My GMAT Journey: from high 600s to ... TBD  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 14:15
Hi anyone that reads,

I've been a bit of a lurker here on the GMAT Club now and I'm opening up this thread to document my own journey and hopefully have a successful outcome so that I can return the favor and support anyone that supports me. I've been having a really rough time with this little thing called the GMAT and I want to find anonymous support because (a) the internet is there 24/7 and (b) no one around me is actually taking this test.

Today, I'm starting this process by sharing my GMAT strategy: (1) my study timetable and (2) an exhaustive menu of the study resources I will be using. By publicly sharing it on this forum, I hope to give myself a little bit more accountability. Because there are so many resources out there, I found that I was previously becoming very scattered and reaching for too many things. After I make this list of resources, I will post it and share it here as to 'lock it down'. The same logic will apply to my study schedule; I won't deviate from it.

Before I start, I will share my story below and hopefully this will resonate with a few folks and I can gather some advice and have a few folks to lean on as I go through this enduring process.

Here it goes!

----My Story (so far)----
In early summer of 2016, I finished my 3 years as an analyst in Investment Banking and left as I planned a journey to travel and then pursue a career in general management within the CPG industry. I had only worked in the Finance industry within an individual contributor capacity and I wanted to try something different as I tried to find something I was passionate about. If I found something that I could see myself pursuing long term, great! If not, I could say that I have tried different roles in different industries and use an MBA as an experience to recharge and reset.

Right after finishing up my exhausting time in banking, I thought it would be a great idea to take the GMAT. It didn't work out for me as I was extremely tired and just itching to do anything but study after a few years of dedicating myself to a sedentary job that I wasn't hugely passionate about. I largely spent a month quite literally looking at the book and took the test after not having done more than 1 full practice exam. To say that I look back at the situation as regrettable is a euphemism at best. I scored - I actually can't remember exactly - something with a 6-handle. I believe it was 650, but it could have been 660 or 640. Nonetheless, I knew it wasn't going to be it and I needed to take it again. It was a massive confidence hit for me and I put this mission on the back-burner for the next 2-years.

Fast forward to 2018, I had an intense experience at a global CPG company in a general management role. It was immensely in terms of the learning experience and the entire 2-years also coincided with tremendous growth in my personal life as I deal with family turmoil and personal health issues. A few months ago, I had to take a medical leave from work due to health problems. I felt like this doctor required time away shouldn't be 'wasted' and took the GMAT again. My preparation method was perhaps actually worse than my initial attempt and my score was dramatically lower (ouch). Afterwards and ever since this take, I've kind of felt like I was standing naked in front of a gymnasium full of peers. Being far from an exhibitionist, this hasn't felt great.

Here I am, getting ready to take the GMAT for what will ultimately be my last time. I've retained a great deal of what I learned - albeit not in the most organized way - a few months ago and I'm dedicating all my time to my next GMAT examination. I'm applying for schools matriculating in September of 2019 and so I have a month and a half roughly to complete the GMAT. I've also left my previous job so that I can travel, as well as volunteer globally between November 2019 and the start of an MBA program so regardless of what happens, I will be applying.

I'm reading through all of the GMAT Club's threads and finding the community to be wonderfully full of perfect strangers supporting each other. I've read through a great deal of personal stories sharing tough GMAT experiences and have been pleasantly surprised to find the amount of success stories there are out there. I hope to be one of those too and that I can eventually give back to this community. In the mean time, I am going to start documenting my journey here and hope to meet some of you along the way.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: My GMAT Journey: from high 600s to ... TBD  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 14:25
All the best for your final prep my friend!

If you remember your score breakdowns the members of this forum will have an easier time giving you some helpful hints on cracking the 700s ;)

Best regards,
Chris

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 3.5
WE: Law (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Aug 2018, 14:59
Hey Chris!

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a response =) I would have written down the breakdown of my scores, but I actually do not remember the breakdown whatsoever. It's baffling to me how I do not recall; however, I think it was because I was so shocked at my result. Now, that's not to say that I was rightfully shocked, but nonetheless, I was shocked enough that I remember nothing with regards to my breakdown. I don't think I can actually retrieve it at this point.

I think I'll take a mock test tomorrow or this evening so that I can post the breakdown of a practice test because I'm sure it would be helpful versus nothing. Would you or any other folks that may happen to read this today, recommend that I take a mock test from GMAT Prep or Manhattan Prep?

Thank you!

Originally posted by Chelsea212 on 01 Aug 2018, 14:33.
Last edited by Chelsea212 on 01 Aug 2018, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 14:39
Chelsea212 wrote:
Would you or any other folks that may happen to read this today, recommend that I take a mock test from GMAT Prep or Manhattan Prep?

Thank you!

That depends, the "offical" mock test from GMAT prep is the best estimation with regards to your score on the real test.

MGMAT is known to have harder quant questions that the actual GMAT, therefore your quant score would likely be slighty higher on the actual test than indicated on MGMAT.

I would probably go with an MGMAT test first when it comes to guesstimating where you currently stand.
As the offical Gmat prep tests are limited I would "safe" them for a later stage in you prep process, although thats just my 2 cents.

Best regards,
Chris

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 00:38
Hi Chelsea212,

We hope to see your success story very soon too. I think you will find our detailed article on Personalized Study Plans to be useful in planning your GMAT journey. You can write to us at support@e-gmat.com if you have any queries in drafting your own plan using that article.

Another thing that struck me was that you do understand the importance of having a structured approach towards GMAT prep. It is good to see that as a structured approach alone can make your prep very efficient. I invite you to attend free webinars we are conducting this weekend. These webinars are on Sentence Correction and Number Properties wherein our experts are going to be discussing strategies to ace these sections using a logical approach. Register on the below links to reserve your spot.
Hope this helps!

Regards,
Aditee

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 10:05
Hi Chelsea212,

Thank you for sharing some personal details about your GMAT experience. If you need any advice on how to prep for your upcoming GMAT, feel free to report back here or reach out to me directly.

Also, you may find this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: My GMAT Journey: from high 600s to ... TBD &nbs [#permalink] 07 Aug 2018, 10:05

My GMAT Journey: from high 600s to ... TBD

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap