GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 10:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

My incredible journey from 610 to 720 in 20 days

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests
My incredible journey from 610 to 720 in 20 days  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Nov 2018, 02:00
Hi All,

Today I gave my GMAT exam and happy to announce that I scored 720 (Q49, V40, IR8) after 4 months of rigorous preparation. It has not been an easy ride for me - someone who is 35+ years old, long away from study, working as an expat in a foreign country and who has a family & two young kids. I started my preparation in early August hoping to wrap up the study within 2months and at first scheduled my exam date on 30th Sep. However as the study progressed, I realized that 2 months was never adequate and rescheduled the exam date to 30th October.

The outcome of my GMAT 1 exam was a disaster. I scored only 610 (Q49, V24). I was shocked by my verbal performance. I never had scored so poorly in verbal in earlier mock tests. Something went wrong on that day. I decided to reapply for the exam and scheduled within the next 20 days so that I don't loose momentum. In this meantime, I revised my maths again and practiced in the verbal section. And finally, today I have come out triumphant. Honestly, Q50 would have been a perfect icing on the cake, but I am still happy and proud of what I have achieved.

Finally, I will like to share my gratitude to a few and also share some tips or my own realization as I prepared for the study.

1> I have to first express my thanks to Brunel, GMATNINZA and other GMAT club contributors for making this forum so effective for GMAT applicants. Your maths (700 question bank compilation) is a treasure and practice questions & associated explanations really helped me to push Quant from 45 to 49.

2> I need to thank EGMAT for its contribution to my SC ability. I like EGMAT VERBAL for two reasons - a> It start from the basics, important for non-native English speakers & b> never leaves you alone in your development journey on acquiring verbal skills. Honestly, I like EGMAT's SC better than CR/RC. The pre-quiz, concept files, Application files and follow up practice files ensure that you understand each module from very basic and gradually step up competencies. Also, the verbal scholaranium, in the end, has about 750+ questions which have been immensely helpful in handling various types of SC question-answers & their nuances

3> I need to thank Brent, of GMATPREPNOW whom I followed for math preparation. Brent has discussed almost every aspect to form the basic building blocks. Also, he has added reference of a variety of top quality questions (easy/medium/hard) in each of his module, which covers the complete spectrum. most importantly, he has also shared tips & tricks for handling difficult question types. I am particularly grateful to him for solving difficult Geometry DS questions

4> Manhattan (existing versions on the internet) should remain the bible for every GMAT applicant. Those volumes are thorough and cover the basic aspects. I used Manhattan for SC & Maths only.

5> I also liked Magoosh approach for SC questions - approach for looking splits & aggressive elimination

6> It's very important to be in test mode before the exam. Because I had exhausted 5 Official Prep Tests before GMAT 1 exam, I also purchased Manhattan GMAT Prep (1 free + 5 CAT). Although Manhattan questions are much tougher & lengthier, practicing them will prepare you for the D day perfectly. I also solved 800 Scores question papers (they come free with EGMAT subscription). Their QUANT is representative of OG standard but verbal is not.

7> Don't trust the result of Official GMAT Prep Test blindly as your ability indicator. I scored Q51 and Test Exam 6 and questions were relatively easy. But, today I really had a difficult time. I suggest that you trust the outcome of Test 3-6 as the range of your ability (for example Q 47-49 or 49-51 or Verbal 28-32 or 35-37) and hope that on D day, you give your best. As you practice, your aim should be to improve the range in each practice exam. For Manhattan CAT, try to maintain Quant 45/Verbal 35 to achieve 700+ score in real exam.

8> Meaning is very important in GMAT verbal. I particularly focussed on meaning analysis for both SC & CR before scanning through the answers. For both SC & CR, I attempted to correct the questions in the question stem itself. This really helped me to save a lot of time by not reading every answer choices. I adopted the same approach in RC. I internalized each paragraph in my native language and formed a summary. I SUGGEST THAT DO NOT ATTEMPT DOCUMENTING SUMMARY. IT IS VERY TIME-CONSUMING & IN NEW FORMAT WITH 4 RC'S, THIS APPROACH WILL ONLY ADD STRESS. And during scanning answer choices, once I found the option closer to my pre-thinking. I clicked it and moved on.

9> Don't ignore IR & AWA. Those results complement your Verbal & QUANT scores. And any poor score in them will pose doubt on your otherwise good Quant & Verbal scores.

And finally, I will like to wish all my fellow MBA aspirants best of luck. I have not decided whether I will pursue MBA or not, but if I do so, I hope to meet some of you in my MBA school.

Cheers

Originally posted by PLUTO on 19 Nov 2018, 23:50.
Last edited by PLUTO on 23 Nov 2018, 02:00, edited 4 times in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: My incredible journey from 610 to 720 in 20 days  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2018, 03:30
Congratulations!!!
Thank you for sharing your resources. I was split whether to buy E-gmat or not. I had only been using Powerscore so far.

You bought a lot of programs for studying 4 months or did you experiment with different resources?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please give Kudos. Kudos encourage active discussions and help the community grow.

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2018, 03:55
Ohbebby wrote:
Congratulations!!!
Thank you for sharing your resources. I was split whether to buy E-gmat or not. I had only been using Powerscore so far.

You bought a lot of programs for studying 4 months or did you experiment with different resources?

I bought EGMAT Verbal, GMATPREPNOW & Manhattan CAT preparation.

GMATPREPNOW was more like brushing the lost maths knowledge.. EGMAT was for building core SC skills. And because I exhausted GMAC PREP tests before my 1st exam, I had to buy Manhattan CAT.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2018, 05:21
manjot123 wrote:
how many hours per day did you study??

I think consistency & perseverance is key for success anything. Every weekday, I studied on average 3 hours and on weekends, I pushed my study hours up to 8-10 hours. I think that my uptime (plan vs actual) was 85% throughout this 15 weeks.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
My incredible journey from 610 to 720 in 20 days  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Nov 2018, 04:29
Payal259 wrote:
Inspiring! Could you shed some light on your RC and CR strategies? Thanks

Posted from my mobile device

RC: I didn't pay any special attention to RCs. I am a voracious English novel/story/newspaper reader. Plus, for my work purpose, I have to study research publications. If someone is weak in RC, I suggest that you do not overnight develop reading comprehension skills. Read any English source (not Chetan Bhagat). Start from Telegraph/Hindu editorials. You may also scan The Economist or Washington Post or NY Times articles. This will help you to speed up your English reading skills and also strengthen your vocabulary, argument structure and sentence architecture. For GMAT specific, I just covered the OG materials.

CR: I followed the GMAT Club CR guidebook and I mainly learned from mistakes. Initially, I struggled in negating for Assumption type questions. There are good & free articles from both EGMAT & Magoosh on negating techniques for such questions. There is a 700+ question bank and GMATPREP question bank for CR. Solve them. And track an error log.

Originally posted by PLUTO on 23 Nov 2018, 02:12.
Last edited by PLUTO on 23 Nov 2018, 04:29, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2018, 03:52
Hi PLUTO

First of all Congratulations! I'm 34 and preparing for GMAT so good to hear from someone in the same age bracket as mine :)

Can you please advise with reference to your CR prep? Would really appreciate your help!

I've already signed up for EGMAT verbal but i'm finding pre-thinking for CR assumption Qs in the course take up a lot of time. Do you suggest alternate skill to master CR Qs? Also what materials did you use to prepare for CR?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2018, 04:30
VQ wrote:
Hi PLUTO

First of all Congratulations! I'm 34 and preparing for GMAT so good to hear from someone in the same age bracket as mine :)

Can you please advise with reference to your CR prep? Would really appreciate your help!

I've already signed up for EGMAT verbal but i'm finding pre-thinking for CR assumption Qs in the course take up a lot of time. Do you suggest alternate skill to master CR Qs? Also what materials did you use to prepare for CR?

Thanks

I followed the GMAT Club CR guidebook and I mainly learned from mistakes. Initially, I struggled in negating for Assumption type questions. There are good & free articles from both EGMAT & Magoosh on negating techniques for such questions. There is a 700+ question bank and GMATPREP question bank for CR. Solve them. And track an error log.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2018, 05:31
PLUTO wrote:
VQ wrote:
Hi PLUTO

Thanks

I followed the GMAT Club CR guidebook and I mainly learned from mistakes. Initially, I struggled in negating for Assumption type questions. There are good & free articles from both EGMAT & Magoosh on negating techniques for such questions. There is a 700+ question bank and GMATPREP question bank for CR. Solve them. And track an error log.

Thanks for the prompt response ! "700+ question bank and GMATPREP question bank for CR" Are these two available for free? Where can i find them? Any idea?

Thanks Again !
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2018, 14:41
VQ wrote:
PLUTO wrote:
VQ wrote:
Hi PLUTO

Thanks

Thanks for the prompt response ! "700+ question bank and GMATPREP question bank for CR" Are these two available for free? Where can i find them? Any idea?

Thanks Again !

They are available in CR forum of GMAT club. Or else you filter them from question bank. I suggest that you use the GMAT club resources as much as possible
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2018, 04:38
[/quote

They are available in CR forum of GMAT club. Or else you filter them from question bank. I suggest that you use the GMAT club resources as much as possible[/quote]

Thanks a ton Buddy for your frank feedback!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: My incredible journey from 610 to 720 in 20 days &nbs [#permalink] 24 Nov 2018, 04:38

My incredible journey from 610 to 720 in 20 days

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap