GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 24 Jan 2020, 19:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

My journey to IIM Calcutta 1 year MBA(PGPEX)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
My journey to IIM Calcutta 1 year MBA(PGPEX)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2018, 05:25
Well, 27th Nov 17 was the day when my biggest dream came true. My dream to get through one of the most prestigious institute of the country “IIM Calcutta 1 year MBA (PGPEX)” had materialized into reality. I was a Short Service Commissioned Army officer and my transition from the profession of arms to the civil strata couldn't have been better without the PGPEX. I, therefore thought I must help others in realising their dreams and guiding the future aspirants towards the ultimate road to corporate success.

So here's my interview experience :-

Profile- Captain, Indian Army

Work experience- 6 years ( including 1 year training)

Education – B. Tech Computer Science ( GGSIPU)

GMAT Score - 690

Interview Location – Indian Habitat Centre, Delhi.

After a rigorous journey of going through the GMAT and application process, finally I was shortlisted for the interview and was called for the afternoon batch on the 11 November 2017. I reached the interview location an hour before the interview scheduled time. The whole process began with the registration process where all my documents were checked and the official GMAT score card had to be submitted. On submission, a declaration form on the correctness of the certificates had to be signed. There were two panels conducting the interview and I was allotted panel number 2. Finally the wait was over and I was called for the interview process.

My panel had two professors: a lady and a gentlemen. I'll address them as P-1 and P-2.

P-1: Tell me about yourself.
A: I gave a brief about my previous education, background and my current profile.

P-1: You have only 5 years of full time experience which is the lowest and may go against you. What do you have to say about that?
A: I emphasized on the fact that I was undergoing military training for 1 year, which is not included and which should be counted as it is the building block of military leadership and has shaped me to be an effective leader. I also told that being young is always an advantage and it will help me blend easily.

P-2: Why did you leave the Army?
A: I told my reasons.

P-2: I was asked about the increase of corruption in the Army.
A: I said it is very minuscule and media has a huge role in exaggerating the ground realities.

P-1: What are your two learnings from the Army?
A: I talked about team work and leading by example.

P-2: What are your expectations of the package after the MBA?
A: I said my major reason for the MBA is to build my skill and business understanding. I then said that packages will flow as the brand name of IIMC and learning experiences at PGPEX will surely be beneficial in the long run. I also quoted few examples of my friends who are IIM graduates and how their packages have increased exponentially.

P-1: He gave me a probability question.
A: It was easy and I had enough practice because of GMAT and hence, I could solve it.

P-2: What are your career goals?
A: I answered saying that I want to pursue Operations Management and how my armed force experience is in consonance with it.

P-: I think that you will not be able to study as you have been out of touch.
A: I told them that we often have to do courses in the army and also talked about the various promotional exams. I also explained the rigor one goes through during the courses.

P-2: Could you explain how promotion works in the Indian Army?
A- I explained the same.

P-1: Will you be able to adjust in a corporate setting?
A: I told them that being a fourth generation Army Officer, I am very adaptive. I have been to different settings and environments and so I will easily be able to adjust.

P-1: What was your role in the Indian Army?
A: I walked them though my journey in the Indian Army and explained to them my roles and the responsibilities which I had shouldered.

P-2: I think you will get bored in the Class.
A: I told them I have the motivation to learn and have stepped out with a clarity of thought. I am focused on the peer learning which will enable me to build my professional skills. I also reassured that I will be very enthusiastic in the classroom discussions.

P-:1 Do you have any questions for us?
A: No, thank you.

In all, my interview went for about 20-25 minutes. The whole experience was good and the panelists were very friendly. 

My advice to the future aspirants would be to be themselves with a belief in self and rest everything will fall in place.

All the best!!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Re: My journey to IIM Calcutta 1 year MBA(PGPEX)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2018, 04:27
Thanks for sharing this!
Ask GMAT Experts Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2018, 10:02
gurnur11 wrote:
Well, 27th Nov 17 was the day when my biggest dream came true. My dream to get through one of the most prestigious institute of the country “IIM Calcutta 1 year MBA (PGPEX)” had materialized into reality. I was a Short Service Commissioned Army officer and my transition from the profession of arms to the civil strata couldn't have been better without the PGPEX. I, therefore thought I must help others in realising their dreams and guiding the future aspirants towards the ultimate road to corporate success.

So here's my interview experience :-

Profile- Captain, Indian Army

Work experience- 6 years ( including 1 year training)

Education – B. Tech Computer Science ( GGSIPU)

GMAT Score - 690

Interview Location – Indian Habitat Centre, Delhi.

After a rigorous journey of going through the GMAT and application process, finally I was shortlisted for the interview and was called for the afternoon batch on the 11 November 2017. I reached the interview location an hour before the interview scheduled time. The whole process began with the registration process where all my documents were checked and the official GMAT score card had to be submitted. On submission, a declaration form on the correctness of the certificates had to be signed. There were two panels conducting the interview and I was allotted panel number 2. Finally the wait was over and I was called for the interview process.

My panel had two professors: a lady and a gentlemen. I'll address them as P-1 and P-2.

P-1: Tell me about yourself.
A: I gave a brief about my previous education, background and my current profile.

P-1: You have only 5 years of full time experience which is the lowest and may go against you. What do you have to say about that?
A: I emphasized on the fact that I was undergoing military training for 1 year, which is not included and which should be counted as it is the building block of military leadership and has shaped me to be an effective leader. I also told that being young is always an advantage and it will help me blend easily.

P-2: Why did you leave the Army?
A: I told my reasons.

P-2: I was asked about the increase of corruption in the Army.
A: I said it is very minuscule and media has a huge role in exaggerating the ground realities.

P-1: What are your two learnings from the Army?
A: I talked about team work and leading by example.

P-2: What are your expectations of the package after the MBA?
A: I said my major reason for the MBA is to build my skill and business understanding. I then said that packages will flow as the brand name of IIMC and learning experiences at PGPEX will surely be beneficial in the long run. I also quoted few examples of my friends who are IIM graduates and how their packages have increased exponentially.

P-1: He gave me a probability question.
A: It was easy and I had enough practice because of GMAT and hence, I could solve it.

P-2: What are your career goals?
A: I answered saying that I want to pursue Operations Management and how my armed force experience is in consonance with it.

P-: I think that you will not be able to study as you have been out of touch.
A: I told them that we often have to do courses in the army and also talked about the various promotional exams. I also explained the rigor one goes through during the courses.

P-2: Could you explain how promotion works in the Indian Army?
A- I explained the same.

P-1: Will you be able to adjust in a corporate setting?
A: I told them that being a fourth generation Army Officer, I am very adaptive. I have been to different settings and environments and so I will easily be able to adjust.

P-1: What was your role in the Indian Army?
A: I walked them though my journey in the Indian Army and explained to them my roles and the responsibilities which I had shouldered.

P-2: I think you will get bored in the Class.
A: I told them I have the motivation to learn and have stepped out with a clarity of thought. I am focused on the peer learning which will enable me to build my professional skills. I also reassured that I will be very enthusiastic in the classroom discussions.

P-:1 Do you have any questions for us?
A: No, thank you.

In all, my interview went for about 20-25 minutes. The whole experience was good and the panelists were very friendly. 

My advice to the future aspirants would be to be themselves with a belief in self and rest everything will fall in place.

All the best!!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Congratulations on getting admit to IIMC.
Thanks for sharing such a detailed interview experience.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 3.56

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2018, 19:04
Very useful & thanks for sharing. Congrats.Wish u all the best.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot
Re: My journey to IIM Calcutta 1 year MBA(PGPEX)   [#permalink] 13 Feb 2018, 19:04

My journey to IIM Calcutta 1 year MBA(PGPEX)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Hatakekakashi